in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-17-2012 5:45 PM by Hubbe. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2011 6:16 PM

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Should I leave the Beocenter 9500 to a workshop before using it?

Maybe this post belongs in the Vintage forum. 

I just bought a Beocenter 9500. The asking price was just 220 Euro. No speakers or remote controll was included in the asking price. It was not a deal breaker for me. I already have a couple of speakers collecting dust. Thinking of using my Dynaudio speakers that I normally use together with my Thule Audio stereo. I also have Beovox CX-100 laying around but I have never tested them yet. They where included when I bought my Beosystem 7000 a couple of years ago.

According to the seller the Beocenter 9500 have not been used for the last couple of years. It is in perfect condition. The seller mentioned that he belive that the tape player might be in need of service. He said that it lost speed when rewinding the tape. I just tested the tape player and I don´t think its to bad, maybe a little slow on whole, not just in the end. It does not sound bad or so when playing a tape. The cd-player works flawless.

Should I leave the Beocenter to a workshop before I start using it? Maybe some parts that are in need in lubrication and cleaning. I don´t want things to break.

I have a Beolink 5000 that are not in the best condition. Is it worth to repair it? I also have a Beolink 7000 that works perfect, but it is not that nice to use every day. For everyday use I use a Beolink 4. My AV9000 don´t have the two way operation. I won´t use the Beocenter together with the Beosystem 7000 or AV9000.

• 05-04-2011 7:58 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Should I leave the Beocenter 9500 to a workshop before using it?

The 9500 for the most part should be ok. I'm suprised to hear you have a stable CD mechanism, most of the ones on here pop up with issues (but then again, not many post comments on here regarding working mechanisms!). The CD mech is prone to have capacitor failures it seems, causing odd laser behavior and disc-read errors.

Belts would be an easy (I think) change out for the tape section.

The CX100 will most likely need a re-foam operation on the woofers.

I'm sure the resident techies will be round soon to correct me! Laughing Oh and probably help you too Yes -  thumbs up

Congratulations on your 9500!

Evan

• 05-05-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

Just a note from the side on the 9500. I have one and I love it! It's gorgeous, but the CD-player has some issues when playing CD:s with more than 50 tracks (for some reason unknown to me many American audiobooks split their tracks into smaller pieces)  Wink. Playing normal CD:s works just fine. The tape has some issues with longer tapes.
    Also look out for the adhesive keeping the glass in place. It has a tendency to dry after a decade or so and it has happened to me.

Congratulations on your purchase!

• 05-05-2011 4:01 PM In reply to

My BeoCenter 9500 also works like a charm, but that is after I serviced it.....Wink The problem with these BeoCenters is that they are 20 years or older. Most other makes of equipment don't reach that age, so they don't reach the age where problems occur. Common problems with BeoCenter 9500 are that the glass panels get loose, the speaker relay does not work as good anymore, the CD-player and tape recorder need o be serviced and the belts for the doors need to be replaced. Also the rectifier-PCB needs to be resoldered. If you want to have your BeoCenter serviced, have it done by someone who has done it before and knows what he is doing. If not, it starts with not having an idea how to open the BeoCenter and once they found out, the BeoCenter is opened and the glass panels fall off and break in the worst case scenario. 

On the other hand, if a BeoCenter 9500 is in good condition you have a very reliable and beautiful piece of equipment!

• 05-05-2011 7:09 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Blackrix:
    If you want to have your BeoCenter serviced, have it done by someone who has done it before and knows what he is doing. If not, it starts with not having an idea how to open the BeoCenter and once they found out, the BeoCenter is opened and the glass panels fall off and break in the worst case scenario. 

On the other hand, if a BeoCenter 9500 is in good condition you have a very reliable and beautiful piece of equipment!

That is a dilema. Nowadays people don´t repair their electronics like they did in the past. The workshop that the local dealer has been using for many years are closing down or has closed down the last days of april. My local delar said it was planed. Nowadays the local dealar can change moduls wich means that the workshop has less to do. You can see a pattern here.

I now regret I did not let the workshop change belt and adjust my Beogram 7000 when I left it at the workshop for a quick look that it was alright in february. I was going to call the workshop but other stuff came in between. If they are still around I might as well let him take a look at the Beocenter 9500 as well. As you said you want someone experienced working on Bang Olufsen. This workshop has helped me in the past with my AV9000 (text tv module gave up) and quite recently they helped med with one of my Beolab 8000. One amplifier gave up.

I have a minor scratch on my Beolink 7000 on the mirror part. Someone of the previous owner probably had a ring. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace it with a new one from B&O?

Hopefully the dealer have someone else that they leave jobs they cant do themselves. The question is if that person or firm is experienced with older B&O stuff.

• 05-06-2011 3:18 AM In reply to

Hubbe:
    I now regret I did not let the workshop change belt and adjust my Beogram 7000 when I left it at the workshop for a quick look that it was alright in february. I was going to call the workshop but other stuff came in between.

You can get a new belt from Dillen and it's easy to replace yourself. The adjustments are better left alone unless there is a problem. Same for the belt - if the deck works fine, you don't need a new belt yet.

Hubbe:
    I have a minor scratch on my Beolink 7000 on the mirror part. Someone of the previous owner probably had a ring. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace it with a new one from B&O?

Spare parts for these haven't been available for years. Every now and then you see a NOS panel on fleaBay and they usually end up costing more than a complete working remote! Some members have replaced the panels with new generic stainless steel sheet, but you lose the etched B&O logo. I would personally rather have the scratch.

Getting back to the 9500, if it works perfectly now your main worry is keeping the glass panels in one piece - just remember the issue if you need to carry it around.

-mika

• 05-06-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

You can get a new belt from Dillen and it's easy to replace yourself. The adjustments are better left alone unless there is a problem. Same for the belt - if the deck works fine, you don't need a new belt yet.

The workshop said my belt was fine when they took that quick look on it. I am not that keen on doing work on my Bang Olufsen equipment. I don´t want anything to break while doing it and I don´t have knowledge or experience to do it. In addition I have to buy all the tools and material needed to do it correctly. I think it would be quite expensive in the end. When I press "play" the cartridge hit the vinyl at the very end and jumps of. You have to help it by gently pushing it in the right direction by hand or by pushing the "left" and "right" button on the Beogram to guide the cartridge right. I seen that there was a thread about the problem in the Beogram forum. It's a little annoying problem. It would be handy to be able to press the play where the needle would be able to find the right track immediately instead of having to go physically to Beogram and open the lid.

tournedos:
     Spare parts for these haven't been available for years. Every now and then you see a NOS panel on fleaBay and they usually end up costing more than a complete working remote! Some members have replaced the panels with new generic stainless steel sheet, but you lose the etched B&O logo. I would personally rather have the scratch.

Getting back to the 9500, if it works perfectly now your main worry is keeping the glass panels in one piece - just remember the issue if you need to carry it around. 

I would definitely rather have a litle scratch than changing it to a non OEM part. Let´s not forget that the remote is almost 20 years old and used. With that in mind it still is in very good condition. You have to look close to see the small marks from a ring or something like it. How about the glas panels on the Beocenter 9500? Are they available new from Bang Olufsen if the worst would happend? You mean that they could fall of if you carry it wrong? Thanks for the warning about the glas panels.

• 05-06-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

Hubbe:
    When I press "play" the cartridge hit the vinyl at the very end and jumps of. You have to help it by gently pushing it in the right direction by hand or by pushing the "left" and "right" button on the Beogram to guide the cartridge right.

OK, that's a clear adjustment problem. It's a 10 minute job, but requires opening the Beogram. To replace the belt, you only need to lift the platter off and it's all there.

Hubbe:
    How about the glas panels on the Beocenter 9500? Are they available new from Bang Olufsen if the worst would happend? You mean that they could fall of if you carry it wrong?

The glass panels for 9500 are no longer available, but I believe panels for 9300 are. There's some minor difference in the labeling of the lower panel, but I can't remember exactly what it was (missing "timer"?). Otherwise they will fit & work.

Just keep the Beocenter horizontal and the panels aren't going to drop anywhere. They are fixed with double sided tape to some plastic frames. The tape disintegrates with years going by and then there's nothing keeping the glass in place if you turn the Beocenter upright.

-mika

• 05-06-2011 1:50 PM In reply to

So very true.

Last saturday I went to Copenhagen to pickup a Beocenter 9500 that needed service. I made arrangements with Dillen so I could drop it of to him after I got it.

It did light up but cd and tape doors were stuck. I paid for it and loaded it upright. Went to the local train station which took to me to Dillen but when we met and started to load into his car the glass had fallen of.

The word from Dillen today is that the Beocenter is finished so I hope that the glass will stay on for me when I get it home.

• 05-06-2011 3:59 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Copenhagen is just one hour by car from me. Does Dillan have a workshop or do he do all work on the side as a private person? Good to know that there are someone experienced close by.

• 05-06-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

Dillen/Martin has a hobby doing qualified service on old B&O and I have used him for alot of my collection as I can't complain with the work he is doing. I got about 8 hours train ride back and fourth but its always worth it in the end. Living in Denmark does have its good things and that's qualified service for old B&O nearby.

You can send him a pm for contact details here on Beoworld.

• 05-10-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Friedmett:

Dillen/Martin has a hobby doing qualified service on old B&O and I have used him for alot of my collection as I can't complain with the work he is doing. I got about 8 hours train ride back and fourth but its always worth it in the end. Living in Denmark does have its good things and that's qualified service for old B&O nearby.

You can send him a pm for contact details here on Beoworld.

I live in the south of sweden, but as I said it´s only one hour by car to Copenhagen. I will send Dillen a pm soon enough.

Today I tested mine old Beovox cx-100 for the first time on the BC9500. Had to borrow cables from a B&O dealer. They seem to work fine. I don´t have any use for them at the moment so they will end up in storage again. Since I started this thread I was curious in what state they where in.

The test of mine Beovox loudspeakers got me thinking. How good are the passive speakers compared to the active speakers from B&O? They took a great leap forward with Beolab 3 Beolab 5 and Beolab 9. But if you compare Beolab/Beovox Penta, Beolab/Beovox 5000. How about the Beovox RL series?

• 05-11-2011 2:12 AM In reply to

Now that's a world where everbody has an opnion.

As it is you can pick your favorite Beovox/Beolab and still have a great sound.

The drawbacks of Beovox are foam rot and the Beolabs are costly.

You got the best of both worlds and do not have to have Beolabs only as the Beocenter have active/passive speaker options.

RL or CX would fit greatly. As long as you like the sound, size and design.

• 01-11-2012 7:18 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Update:

I bought a set of Beovox RL6000 in mint condition today unseen. It will take a couple of days to have them delivered. Black piano lacquer with floor stands and cabels for less than 135 Euro. They will be tested with my Beocenter 9500. I´m not sure that I will like them soundwise however. I have never listened to passiv B&O speakers before. I own a set och Dynaudio Audience 42 that I have not used in years. Might not be fair to compare those two speakers. I have never listened to them together with my Beocenter or Beosystem. Only the Thule Audio system. Don´t have the right cable connections to to connect them to my B&O systems.

Do the Beovox RL6000 suffer from foam rot? I read a few threads and is still not sure what is the case.

• 01-12-2012 2:36 AM In reply to

Congratulations with your speaker purchase, they are nice (have a pair myself with my Beocenter 9300).

The RL6000 descends from the older RedLine 60 and 60.2, though the speaker units are maginally different. The speaker membanes are made of rubber, so I don't expect them to have any tendencies to rot.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 01-12-2012 7:05 AM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Sounds good that they don´t have tendencies to rot. Talked to a dealer a while ago and they said that older Beovox Redline speakers had that tendency. Adviced me not to buy them. I figured that that was the case with all redline speakers. Read a few threads here and a few other places and was still not sure. However 135 Euro is not that much money. And I was curious on the sound.

I also read that placement is critical for the sound. What is the best way to place RL6000? On floor stand close to wall or further out in the room. Some post prefered wall mounting.

• 01-12-2012 7:51 AM In reply to

RL6000 are practically the same as RL60.2 and both of them definitely have the durable rubber surrounds. Older RL60 does rot, and for example RL140 as well.

I have a pair of RL60.2's connected to a Beocenter 8000 at the office (I believe the amp is identical in 9500) and I quite like the combination! I did however replace the caps in the crossovers, and that improved the sound a lot. The 6000s are newer so they might not need it yet - I have a pair of 6000s as well, but have never tried any direct comparison between these.

Placing these near the wall might give a bit more bass if you're into that kind of thing. I have mine on ceiling poles about 40-50 cm away from the room corners.

-mika

• 01-12-2012 5:14 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

I did however replace the caps in the crossovers, and that improved the sound a lot. The 6000s are newer so they might not need it yet - I have a pair of 6000s as well, but have never tried any direct comparison between these.

Placing these near the wall might give a bit more bass if you're into that kind of thing. I have mine on ceiling poles about 40-50 cm away from the room corners.

Thanks for the tips about placement. I will experiment myself. How do one know when it's time to replace the caps in the crossovers?

• 01-14-2012 4:04 PM In reply to

Hubbe:
    How do one know when it's time to replace the caps in the crossovers?

Impossible to say, unfortunately. They are now 15 to 20 years old, so I believe you could hear some improvement but probably not anything dramatic. Mainly the treble end gets duller with time. Listen to them first, and if you're not happy, only then consider the recap.

-mika

• 01-17-2012 5:45 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    Listen to them first, and if you're not happy, only then consider the recap.

Will follow your advice. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)