in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2011 4:58 AM by elephant. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2011 11:33 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

iPad to control Mini?

Some time ago I read a post showing the video of an iPad controlling a Mac, but I cant find it back. Does anyone remember?

I wonder whether one can use an iPad to control a Mac Mini that does not have a screen attached (and potentially no keyboard)?

Thanks, js

• 05-03-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

Re: iPad to control Mini?

Search for a VNC client on the App store and activate VNC in the System Preferences > Sharing > Display > Computer Setting.

• 05-08-2011 4:03 PM In reply to

The Mac Mini gets so little hands-on use nowadays that I've even unplugged the 23 inch Apple Cinema Display from the Mini.

But the Mini remains our media center, variously controlled via Beo4 or either of our iPads or either of our iPhones or either of our Macs...

... iPad and iPhone control is usually via LinkRemote or via Screens.

I strongly recommend the Screens app.  I've tried several other apps to remote-control the Mini and Screens has proven to be the ultimate solution.

• 05-08-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

I have the App "Rowmote Pro" that works perfectly, you can see it in use on youtube before you purchase. However I must say that for everyday use I still prefer just to use my Beo5 to control my mini. Simply press the mini icon on the Beo5 screen, once the mini's screen is up, press the back button and it goes straight into the "Front Row" menu on the mini. Using the iPad with RowMote is great for thing like Youtube, Flicker and so on but for movies & music the Beo5 wins hands down.

• 05-08-2011 7:20 PM In reply to

Jez:
    press the back button and it goes straight into the "Front Row" menu on the mini.

a word of warning ... Front Row has been removed from LION the next upgrade of the Mac Operating System

I don't know if there will be a successor other than the Apple TV 2G puck

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-09-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

We have Rowmote installed on our iPhones.  It can be useful for some functions.

One thing I don't like about Rowmote is that it requires Rowmote software to be installed on the Mac.  Screens, on the other hand, requires no software on the Mac whatsoever, because it uses the "Screen Sharing" option which is factory-built on the Preferences panel on every Mac.

Jez:

I have the App "Rowmote Pro" that works perfectly, you can see it in use on youtube before you purchase.

• 05-09-2011 2:43 PM In reply to

XavierItzmann:
    Screens, on the other hand, requires no software on the Mac whatsoever, because it uses the "Screen Sharing" option which is factory-built on the Preferences panel on every Mac.

Looks good - has features that would be convenient (I use "Mocha VNC Lite")

However Screens is fee not free ... and my usage is not enough to justify the cost 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-09-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

elephant:
    However Screens is fee not free ... and my usage is not enough to justify the cost 

Agreed, it is expensive.  In fact, it is the most expensive app we have installed on our devices.

• 05-16-2011 3:58 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

elephant:
    Front Row has been removed from LION
     Ed, you should be able to reinstall it from previous versions.  I have found that extra programs i got in my discs from 10.4 i reinstalled in later builds of the OS.  This includes OMNI Graffle, etc.  

• 05-16-2011 5:52 AM In reply to

Michael:

elephant:
    Front Row has been removed from LION
     Ed, you should be able to reinstall it from previous versions.  I have found that extra programs i got in my discs from 10.4 i reinstalled in later builds of the OS.  This includes OMNI Graffle, etc.  

Thanks for the tip !

I know SWMBO likes Front Row, but I would rather have the excuse for moving her to LinkPlayer v2 Laughing

• 05-22-2011 4:38 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

elephant:
    I know SWMBO likes Front Row

Have you shown her Plex or XBMC?

• 05-22-2011 4:58 AM In reply to

Michael:

elephant:
    I know SWMBO likes Front Row

Have you shown her Plex or XBMC?

Indeed :-)

We use PLEX via LinkPlayer

I ruled XBMC out myself as I preferred PLEX

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)