in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-11-2011 10:15 AM by Nickyg63. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2011 10:44 AM

"Old" 4-42 - is it good?

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a used 4-42, to exchange my current second-room tv - an Avant 32 RF VHS. Now, I know the price for both these units have dropped heavily lately, so either way it's not a financially based change but rather one of space and technical upgrade.

I am trying to find some reviews about the 4-series but fail to find so much. What I want to know is, is it a good set? Would I gain something that I don't have in the Avant or would the old plasma screen deteriorate faster than an old tube? Should I wait even longer and get a 7-40 (which would set me back a bit more). Any kind of hints and recommendations would be most welcome!

/Carl-Henrik

• 05-02-2011 11:47 AM In reply to

Re: "Old" 4-42 - is it good?

I have both.

My first question: Which BS do you intend to use to drive it?

I would assume a BS2 sticking with the theme of being cost effective.

Akin to the BS1 -be prepared to hide a MASSIVE ugly black box.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-04-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Carl-Henrik and Burantek,

Im also interested in those questions since I am looking for either a BV 5 or BV 4-42, preferably the HD models, so I am in almost the same situation
    regarding changing my main BV3-32 and thinking if it is worthwhile changing one old TV with another old one for the price of a new "top of the line" non-B&O TV.

Burantek, that ugly black box usually comes with the nice aluminium cabinet, right? Is it the BS2 that can be used with non B&O LCD or plasmas? 

I also wonder if the BV 4-42 can control a motorized stand ( floor or table stand)?

Thanks,

Peter

• 05-04-2011 8:55 AM In reply to

Hi,

First I am from the states, so I have BS1's, not the BS2. In fairness the BS2 is slightly smaller than a BS1 -but it is still a hide-away box.

Yes, there was (is) a cabinet available for them. I do not have one, nor do I want one as the way they are currently (actively being moved with construction) installed does not require one. In one case I have the lines routed to the BS1 through a wall to the back of a bookshelf w/ a base cabinet. In the other case (to be completed) the lines will route again through a wall but to a recessed "AV" cabinet built into the wall. I went for a more "built in" look than provided by the free-standing B&o cabinet. Nothing wrong with their cabinet, but the BV4's seem to lend themselves to my type of install.

As far as Carl-Henrik's query regarding durability -hard to say. People claim that the plasmas will "outgas" over time and eventually fail. I am sure others more technically savvy can enumerate other potential faults/experiences, but mine are faultless so far after a few years. Picture quality... well you both have similar sets (Avant/BV3) as my Avants. I think we can all agree that the Avant is an excellent set, perhaps the best ever SD set. I would likely say that is still that case. When it comes to HD, well that is another matter -and I prefer plasmas over LCD (BV7 as suggested by Carl-Henrik -at least older ones) for HD.

Now, you bring into the equation the BV5... Frankly, I think they are brilliant -twice missing opportunities to have them. I suppose the question at this point is: room for setup. If you are going to "plug and play" -the BV7 or BV5 (on stands) will take up a similar footprint as the Avant/BV3. On the other hand, if you are looking to gain some room -wall mounting a BV4 is hard to beat.

As far as value... I think it is a good time to buy. They may well get cheaper yet, but time doesn't stop. Buy now and enjoy them.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-04-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

Hi Burantek,

Well, I guess the BS would depend on whatever comes with the BV! [:-)]

As this would be a secondary set, I am not really looking to pay huge sums, so a BS2 would be quite sufficient.

Peter makes a good point, and I am also thinking about the fact the money which will give you a BV 4 or 5, would otherwise buy a 3D Panasonic...it's a tough call!

Sticking to the B&O though, which set is the better one? The 4 or the 5?

/Carl-Henrik

• 05-04-2011 9:06 AM In reply to

Milton78:
    Well, I guess the BS would depend on whatever comes with the BV!

My guess would have to be the BS2.

Milton78:
    Panasonic

Well... there you are. I do have a Panny plasma as well. I love it. Today's prices are absurd and make it extremely difficult to be loyal!

Milton78:
    Sticking to the B&O though, which set is the better one? The 4 or the 5?

Well, for all intents and purposes, I consider them the same thing (I *believe* the panel and engine are the same) The exception being the addition of the built-in speakers (center in a surround) and STAND potential of the BV5. The speakers are important as you would obviously need to source at least a pair for minimal listening to a BV4 and then an additional center(s) for surround if desired. You could wait to add the rears. The need to hide the "black box" is, of course, well taken care of! And... FWIW... the BV5 is the MOST BEAUTIFUL ITEM ever from Struer!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-04-2011 9:15 AM In reply to

Thanks for the advice! Smile

I am kind of leaning myself towards the BV5, just need to find a good speciment first! The speakers is an issue as you say with the 4 and since my Avant has them, I don't have any "left over" that I can just throw in.

• 05-04-2011 11:06 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

I totally agree with you guys,

The BV 5 is amazing. I checked out 2 early ones (2002) a while ago and the picture quality is amazing compared to new TV sets from a lot of the mainstream brands. I was really surprised how modern and up-to-date it felt (and even ahead of many of todays TV's) considering being 9 years old…but on the other hand, I think that is also the fact with the BV3-32.

I guess the only question to consider is value for money and how long it will still provide top class perfomance....

• 05-04-2011 11:09 AM In reply to

Someone interested? For Sale as I upgraded to a BV9

A BV5 with D7 panel and 2 (extra) HD inputs (component and DVI). It has 3 digital audio inputs. But also and only this one, a professionally original BV9 speakers/amplifier in it (2x 250W with ALT)

Latest mk4 chassis with latest 16.3 software.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/32124.aspx

• 05-04-2011 5:08 PM In reply to

I like the look of that!  a one off 

• 05-06-2011 9:54 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Peter, are you saying that the BV5 from say around 2002, has picture quality comparable to sets like BV3 32 and AVANT 32?? If that's the case then i will be sure to consider a BV5 as my next set when my BV3 die...

(which it looks like it won't for quite a while to come, it has been used in 'video mode' for over 1000 days and switched on/off 11,000 times now, still with no signs of stopping! Unbelieveable, especially considering it has been shifted and knocked around over 12 times since i bought it)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-09-2011 5:33 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dave!

Honestly I still think BV 3-32 has a better and more naural picture quality IMHO, even compared to almost any TV on the market today!
    There are many TVs with excellent sharpness and refresh rate today, but I think the picture many times feels "syntethic" compared to the old "tube"..The only reason why I am considering a BV5 or 4 is that I would like something with a little larger screen ( and because the BV5 looks really cool ;-) .

What I meant in my post earlier is that a 9 year old BV 5 or 4 is definitly comparable to many of todays mainstream flat screens, or even better, which surprised me when checking it our more thoroughly..

/Peter

• 05-09-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Have you seen the picture quality on the BV7-55?? It's AMAZING. As good as the 3-32, but bigger. Every other screen i've seen hasn't even touched the quality i experience at home with the BV3

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-09-2011 6:12 AM In reply to

I swapped my avant dvd for a bv7 32, I think the picture quality isnt as good as the avant! but its still very good! you must remember that B&O perfected the picture on the crt's at the end of there reign. But demand for thinner tv's had to reach the B&O clientel, having seen the picture on a earlier non hd bv5 I was very very impressed!  I needed a 32 really for the distance i sit away from the tv, If I had a larger lounge I would buy a bv5 straight away! Hope that helps

• 05-09-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

From my point of view the current display technology outperforms the good old panels in a BV4-42 in any regard. I have a D9 panel with a BV5-50/BS 3 which I think is the same as "most recent" Bv4-42. Compared to a BV10 or BV8-40 it can not compete. What I dislike most is that blacks are noticeable grey! And the BS2 is old technology regarding image processing or connections.

So I would not invest in a BV4-42. A BV5 might be different as a complete set, but from a performance point of view not the best choice anymore.

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 05-10-2011 3:14 AM In reply to

Well those are all good points, but what is your recommendation? What is the best choice?

• 05-11-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

Milton78:

Well those are all good points, but what is your recommendation? What is the best choice?

That depends on your budget??  If I had the room I would have a bv5 I have a 7-32 that fits just nice!  Both can be had for £1000-1500 mark spend a bit more get a newer set!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)