in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-29-2011 10:45 PM by elephant. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2011 6:18 AM

• bigolo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-29-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 5500 inputs

Hi,

I just got my first Beomaster and can't figure out if the inputs are working or not. I don't have a CD player or any other unit yet, so I'm just trying use my laptop for input to test it. I can hear the sound on PHONO input, but any other. I tried CD, TAPE, AUX but no sound.

Are all the other inputs different and only work with a B&O source or there is a problem with my unit? I would imagine at least AUX should be for any kind of stereo input.

Thanks a lot,

Adi.

Filed under:
  • 04-29-2011 6:26 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5500 inputs

Welcome to the forums Adi Smile

Actually, the PHONO input is the only one you should not use as it has the RIAA pre-amp, and the signal levels are not compatible with line level outputs like your laptop.

Do you have the links installed between the line out - line in connectors?

-mika

• 04-29-2011 6:31 AM In reply to

• bigolo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-29-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Mika,

Thanks for the quick reply. It did sound a bit odd on the PHONO so that must be why. I do have link between the LINE connectors. I also have 2 adapters from DIN5 to RCA which I tried to plug into the DIN7 inputs and none makes any sound, except as mentioned before on the PHONO. I also tried plugging the RCA cable directly in the IN TP2/AUX RCA sockets, but still no sound :(

Adi.

• 04-29-2011 7:51 AM In reply to

bigolo:
    I do have link between the LINE connectors.

So much for that theory then... have you tried all four speaker connectors? What I'm after is that perhaps the volume is just very low for some reason, and you only hear sound from PHONO because it has the extra amplification.

If your adapters have only 2 RCA connectors (instead of four), they might be wired for the wrong direction (from the DIN to the RCAs) but the RCA connections to AUX should definitely work.

-mika

• 04-29-2011 8:31 AM In reply to

• bigolo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-29-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Mistery solved. 

I'm not sure what the problem was, but most likely the volume was too low, I managed to get it working before I read your post. So it's perfectly working. Just in case anyone else is wondering, all inputs SUPPORT stereo sources like laptop, ipad or anything else. Now I need to find my a nice CD player :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Adi.

• 04-29-2011 8:41 AM In reply to

Good to hear it's working Smile

Perhaps you had it on mute during the initial testing, it's easy to bump the front panel while making connections.

-mika

• 04-29-2011 9:15 AM In reply to

• bigolo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-29-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Speaking of mute, it doesn't seem to be working though. When I press mute on the remote control or on the fron panel, I can hear a click inside, but the sound doesn't mute, it's still loud.  Maybe it needs some time to get to know before all functions start working properly :)

Adi.

• 04-29-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

You probably have the speakers connected to the secondary outputs now. The muting function only affects the primary outputs. The back panel markings are confusing, I always do it by trial and error myself Smile

The muting relay is a classic problem part though, you might well find that you don't get proper sound out of the primary speaker outputs if the relay is bad. Some excercise might still get it working!

-mika

• 04-29-2011 10:45 PM In reply to

Just to explain in case you don't have access to a manual and you are puzzled as to why mute only works on the primary speakers Smile

Primary speaker ports are for the speakers in the room where the BeoMaster is.

The secondary speaker ports are for a link room connection, and in the link room those speakers can of course be muted by the link room's control box and eye.

Hope this link (from Beoworld's BeoTech sister micro-site) helps you along your way: http://www.beoworld.org/beotech/mclconn1.htm

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)