in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-28-2011 5:37 AM by BenSA. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2011 1:53 PM

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Beocord 8000 spindle problem

If you look at the attached photo, the Spindle (think thats what it is called) on my Beocord 8000 that I just got was sticking out lower than it should and it just pulled out easily. Surely its not supposed to be able to come out so easily? Anyone know the solution to this problem?

Thanks

Ben

Durban South Africa

• 04-25-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: Beocord 8000 spindle problem

That looks like the clutch for takeup, ff and RW, there should be a rubber idler on the other end so have a look down the hole you just pulled it out of!

I think to remove this you should remove the whole assembly it is mounted too!

Olly.

• 04-25-2011 10:45 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hi Ben

Olly is dead right, it is part of the clutch assembly that you are looking at.  I took three of them apart yesterday and the photo of one dismantled unit is attached.  You will need to find the wheel from the bottom which is probably still inside the deck.  It is only a press fit on the shaft and has probably been loosened recently.  A bit of glue should fix it back OK.  However, you will also need to find the two small spacer washers which if you are lucky, might be stuck on the end of the main arm.  Put them back together with a small amount of free play and you should have a working clutch assembly again.

Regards

Geoff

• 04-26-2011 2:04 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks for all the help. Spot on. Fixed the spindle and works like a bomb. Does need new belts though that I'll get from Dillen eventually.

First time I have every heard the 8000 and the sound is beautiful. Very impressed.

Ben

Durban South Africa

• 04-26-2011 7:15 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Ben

Pleased to hear that you got your beocord working OK.  Did you check the condition of the plastic arm that carries the spindle? more often than not, they are badly cracked and that will affect the tape drive performance.  Get the new belts and fix the clutch properly and I agree that the sound from these old machines can be superb.

Regards

Geoff

• 04-27-2011 1:50 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

geearr:

Ben

Pleased to hear that you got your beocord working OK.  Did you check the condition of the plastic arm that carries the spindle? more often than not, they are badly cracked and that will affect the tape drive performance.  Get the new belts and fix the clutch properly and I agree that the sound from these old machines can be superb.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff, I did notice slight cracks in the plastic arm. I will repair the cracks as suggested. I won't really be using the machine but I like to have every B&O in working order if possible!!

Thanks

Ben

Durban South Africa

• 04-28-2011 12:07 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hi Ben

I agree with the policy of getting these machines into the best possible condition - even though you are not going to use them.  I now have many machines in excellent condition but simply don't have the time to appreciate them all - which is a pity.

The photo below shows some bad cracks on the latest clutch that I have dismantled.  These really reduce the contact pressures on the drive wheels and can make the machine inoperable.

Previous threads on Beoworld have shown how one can put collars over the ends of this arm.  I finally found some 8mm ID aluminium pipe with a 1mm wall thickness and that fitted perfectly.  The picture below shows an example of the modified clutches that I fit on these machines.  So far, they work perfectly.

Have fun and I hope you get some good results

Regards

Geoff

• 04-28-2011 2:55 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Wow!
    Nice work, Geoff !

Martin

• 04-28-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Yes that looks lovely Geoff! Seems I have got the same problem in my 9000, but it is not the only problem(!) so it will be left for now but I will be looking for a similar collar! I keep saying I will start using my late grandfathers lathe (ML7 with lots of extras) which would be perfect so this is a good starting project I think!

BTW that pulley is lovely and clean! Mine is more a yellow colour, despite being cleaned up!

BTW did you get my PM Geoff? Let me know what you think...

Olly.

• 04-28-2011 5:37 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

geearr:

Hi Ben

I agree with the policy of getting these machines into the best possible condition - even though you are not going to use them.  I now have many machines in excellent condition but simply don't have the time to appreciate them all - which is a pity.

The photo below shows some bad cracks on the latest clutch that I have dismantled.  These really reduce the contact pressures on the drive wheels and can make the machine inoperable.

Previous threads on Beoworld have shown how one can put collars over the ends of this arm.  I finally found some 8mm ID aluminium pipe with a 1mm wall thickness and that fitted perfectly.  The picture below shows an example of the modified clutches that I fit on these machines.  So far, they work perfectly.

Have fun and I hope you get some good results

Regards

Geoff

The cracks on my 8000's arm are minor compared to those! I will have to reinforce them though as they will worsen for sure with use.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Ben

Durban South Africa

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)