in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2011 5:13 PM by Rich. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2011 6:48 PM

• carleton scully
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2011
    • Winchester,Ky.or aboard s/v Wet Paint- East Coast
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

elderly citizen finds B&O P 45s .

Hello fellow travelers.

I am new to this site as a result of finding a pair of P 45 speakers. I am 74 years old and have always lusted after B&O products. You can only imagine my joy as I put these speakers on  the floor and began to open the cases to see what would be inside. Suprise, they looked good; only one woofer was detached, wires cut and cone no longer attached. Since I know nothing about these speakers I cannot judge whether the caps are original or not.

After poking around I connected my old Vector Research receiver to the speaker I had open. Surprised that it played and really surprised that it sounded good even without the full complement of speakers. On to the second unit; all transducers were hooked up and appeared to be functional.  Then I got on the net and started looking for a site like this one. I want to know what woofer replacement might be available for my new set of P 45s. Also, what contraption was used to mount these on the wall??????? Both units by the way are in great cosmetic conditon. I am listening now to the unit with all of it's transducers firing. I am already wondering how it will sound with new caps. I would appreciate someone providing me with the spec's on caps to use when restoring.

I remember the first time I saw a Beolab unit at the local Hi - Fi shop (which has long since disappeard). That must have been in the 60's and I have always stopped to pay hommage to the B&O style each time I encounter them.  Although my eyes are failing and I have trouble walking, my EARS are in wonderful tune!!!

Your help will be appreciated.

• 04-19-2011 8:19 PM In reply to

Re: elderly citizen finds B&O P 45s .

Welcome to Beoworld

You will need to change the surrounds on your woofers, search this forum or take a look here, for caps take contact with Dillen (Martin) also on this forum, surfing the foruim you will find everything you need to know about your P45s, and if needed, help from nearly all of us.

Saludos from Mexico, Søren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 04-20-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

carleton74:
    I am 74 years old and have always lusted after B&O products.

Which just proves that you are still young and heart and that it is never too late to become a beo-addict !

A sincere welcome :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 04-20-2011 7:53 AM In reply to

As a mere stripling of 61 can I welcome you to Beoworld. 

The members, many of whom are collectors of 'vintage' kit, are incredibly knowledgable, helpful and generous and I'm sure you will receive lots of advice and guidance on your P45s.

A far as capacitors are concerned, Martin Olsen ('Dillen' on this site) is a wonderful source of capacitor kits for any number of old speakers.  He provided a set for my S45.2s, the boxier version of your wall mounted P45s, along with fitting instructions that even those of us with failing eyesight can read.

I wish my hearing was 'in wonderful tune'!  I can't here anything above about 13Khz any more.

Regards

Cleve

• 04-20-2011 8:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Welcome from me too.

The P45 woofers have rubber surrounds so will not need refoam'ing.
    The lose magnet issue applies, however. We've had that issue a couple of times.
    Do a search and read more. Get it fixed before moving them around any more or you
    will inevitably end up with more dead woofers.

Capacitors are available as a kit as Søren already mentioned. PM or email me for details.

Locating a replacement woofer could prove difficult, they are impossible to match with any modern
    driver and it's quite difficult to find a donor speaker but a good speaker repairshop might be able
    to repair the broken one.
    Sounds a bit out of proportion, I know, but could be the only way out and easily worth it.
    I'm sure that someone can recommend a good place.

2 screws in the wall and you can hang a P45 like you would a painting.
    Make sure to put them at ear height, many owners tend to mount them way too high and
    that will ruin the sound.

If you like them on the floor, you will love them on the wall.
    I do.

Martin

• 04-20-2011 12:36 PM In reply to

Sorry about the surrounds, Martin is right, I didn't read your post properly.

Where are you situated ? Maybe we can find help for you near your location.

And take look here, in that thread there is a good desciption of your problem

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 04-20-2011 1:44 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

Sorry about the surrounds, Martin is right, I didn't read your post properly.

Where are you situated ? Maybe we can find help for you near your location.

And take look here, in that thread there is a good desciption of your problem

Hey, no fair linking to my thread!!!  Stick out tongue

Welcome to Beoworld.  As everyone has said, all the help you need and more is on this site.  I know Evan is younger than me, but I must be on the younger side at 44.

@Martin:  Is the P45 "woofer" the same driver as the M70 "phase link," or are they just subject to the same failure?  There is a pair of M70s for sale on Ebay just an hours drive from me.  I may buy them just to have parts.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 04-20-2011 4:18 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The M70 phase link unit and the P45 woofers are optically very identical but that's where it ends.
    They have very different specs and will be far from interchangeable.
    In the M70, they don't really play much but merely fills in a kind of "void" (audible though!).
    In the P45, obviously, they are more than busy.
    Due to their identical build, they both suffer from the lose magnet issue, though.

Martin

• 05-01-2011 12:13 AM In reply to

• carleton scully
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hello and thank you for the information. Since my initial post I have:

Cleaned and protected the rosewood cabinets, they look great with only 1 minor break in the surface of the veneer.

Bought female Din Plug which turns out to be a poor choice. Bought from eBay and they are a hack job. I can and will remake them.

Bought and installed a replacement woofer; this after searching for 10 days, every listing on eBay and every source of speakers I could find. I finally bought what I hope is a reasonable substitute. It sounds good to the ear so far. I have ordered a system test CD so I can run some sweeps and see what the replacement is really doing since the seller had very little info.

Following your suggestion I, just yesterday, installed them on the wall. They seem to be awfully well balanced and flat from what I can tell so far. Imaging seems excellet based upon just a couple of hours of playing classical and jazz from cd. Will put on some vinyl in the morning and keep enjoying my treasures. 

Will you please tell me what it will cost to replace the capacitors ? I may try to do that next month, budget permitting.

Thank You for your help and best regards,

Carleton

• 05-01-2011 12:22 AM In reply to

• carleton scully
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hello, So/ren. I just posted an update that was intended for you and Dillen. Unfortunately it appears I posted to myself. So, go to the Senior citizen finds P45, I have made some progress.

• 05-01-2011 2:05 AM In reply to

Glad you got it working, where did you get the woofers, and if posible post some pics of your work, we love pics Smile, I've send you a mail, please check it.

• 05-02-2011 5:13 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Capacitors can be had for as little as a dollar or two each, up to 20+ dollars.  It depends on how crazy you are and what your budget is.  Martin (Dillen) can help there possibly, as can this guy.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)