in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-17-2011 12:36 AM by akoro. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2011 3:04 PM

Sonos & Bl5

Hi All

I have been thinking about setting up sonos in my appartment and have a question. At the moment, i have a BV7 with BL5´s and bl3´s in a surround setup. I have no B&O audioproduct. I am thinking about connecting the sonos ZP90 with digital out to the bl5´s digital in and at the same time keep my bl5´s connected to my bv 7 with powerlink for surround.

So my question is if this is at all possible? What source will i have to choose on my beo4 to get the sound from the sonos, when this is connected to the BL5´s with spdiff? Should i keep the current option setting on my BL5´s as this works perfectly with surround. What about volume control?

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz

P.s. While i did find something about B&O and sonos, I did not have any luck finding a thread mentioning connecting a pair of Bl5 in detail. So sorry if it is already in here :-)

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 04-10-2011 6:19 PM In reply to

Re: Sonos & Bl5

Hi,

it is easier to connect the Sonos to the BV7 by using one of the SPdif's of the BV's AV-Slots ... then you just have to set up the configuration via the Beo4 ... for example choose the "PC" function in the List-Section ... or take a direct key like A.MEM/V.MEM on the Beo4.

All the problems with loudness etc.pp is solved ... and i didn't explore huge differences in sound quality in comparison to digital connection with BL5.

If you go digital from Sonos into BL5 without an B&O Audio-Device, you will always have to change options (0 vs. 1) with the Beo4 in order to operate BL5/Sonos OR BV/BL5.

If you want to go digital, just buy a Ouverture for cheap money ... wire it up to the system ... use BOTH terminals on the BL5 ... digital in and Powerlink, with the digital in directly conncected to the Sonos digital out ... and then just press CD on the Beo4, after making sure there is no CD in the Ouverture ... then BL5 will automatically recognize and prefer the digital signal over the powerlink ... and there you go ... no switching between options via Beo4 ... no issues with loudness control.

Another thing: Make sure the loudness option of the Sonos is set to "fixed" ... it is important for the sound quality not to use the loudness control of the Sonos! It makes a big difference.

Cheers

So ... it is your choice

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 04-11-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

Hi Rookie

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to utilize the DAC in the BL5 so i guess the solution with hooking it up to my BV7 directly is not that great right?. Furthermore, what about the picture? I guess my tv will turn on when pressing "PC" looking for a videosignal that is not there?

I actually already have a BS3000 connected with ML to the BV 7, but was thinking og selling it. I usually rip my cd´s to my NAS and radio is done way better on the sonos, so there was actually no real reason to keep it untill i read your post.

Correct me if i am wrong, the only source selection that makes the BL5´s listen to both powerlink and digital is "CD" right? How does this work in a setup with say BS3000 for CD over powerlink or ML and BS5 for Mp3 through digital connection to bl5´s?

Furthermore, it is possible to use the BV 7 inbuild dvd/bluray player to play CD´s. Does this mean, that i can choose "CD" on my tv without having a Audiomaster or does using the BV7 for playing cd´s need to be triggered by "DVD", which will then mean that the BL´5 only listen to the powerlink connection if i am right in the above source presumtion.

Sorry for all the questions but i need the best way to connect a ZP90, preffereably without any deicated audiomaster.

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz

• 04-11-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

"I would like to utilize the DAC in the BL5 so i guess the solution with hooking it up to my BV7 directly is not that great right?. Furthermore, what about the picture? I guess my tv will turn on when pressing "PC" looking for a videosignal that is not there?"

Well, as soon as you operate the BL5, it will always be their internal DAC responsible for the sound ... no matter what source you have in front.

As for the activated screen ... you would have to activate "Picture Mute" ... or choose A.MEM.

"Correct me if i am wrong, the only source selection that makes the BL5´s listen to both powerlink and digital is "CD" right? How does this work in a setup with say BS3000 for CD over powerlink or ML and BS5 for Mp3 through digital connection to bl5´s"?

Here i can't tell from experience, but would assume, that the BL5 recognize the digital signal coming from the BS5 and prefer it ... should work!?

"Furthermore, it is possible to use the BV 7 inbuild dvd/bluray player to play CD´s. Does this mean, that i can choose "CD" on my tv without having a Audiomaster or does using the BV7 for playing cd´s need to be triggered by "DVD", which will then mean that the BL´5 only listen to the powerlink connection if i am right in the above source presumtion".

Never tried to play Audio-CD's from my MkIV Blueray ... should work ... but would use Powerlink connections with the BL5's. And i am quite sure, that you would have to press DVD to activate the BR-Player.

One remark regarding the Sonos: Are you aware, that it is limited in resolution to 16bit/48khz for audio streams. If you don't want to use Napster or similar services, i'd rather hook up a decent network player like a Linn DS or Sooloos directly to the BL5 ... this will give you access to high-resolution material ... and that makes a huge difference to the sound ... the BL5 can exploit it. And it seems as if it is not just a matter of the DAC, because the Linn's is not used e.g converted by the BL5 ... but it seems, that the clocking/clock architecture of superior netstreamers is very important for the overall sound quality in the system. This was at least my experience ... it definetly sound better with a Linn DS, that using Sonos or beeing fed by a BS9000 via digital connections. Furthermore there is a very good Ipad app for the Linn DS world, that integrates your NAS very nicely ... Sooloos is cool too.

Best regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 04-11-2011 1:05 PM In reply to

Thanks again

I am planning on a ZP90 Cullen mod (http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/p/67005/78076/316658)

I have read a lot of good things about this modified sonos version.

I guess i will have to do a bit more research.

/Ehlerz

• 04-11-2011 2:19 PM In reply to

Ehlerz:

Thanks again

I am planning on a ZP90 Cullen mod (http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/p/67005/78076/316658)

I have read a lot of good things about this modified sonos version.

I guess i will have to do a bit more research.

/Ehlerz

Would recommend that if you want a high-end audio source.  Sonos has flawless sync with additional zones and interface is fantastic.

• 04-11-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

Hi macjonny1

That is exactly what i am looking for so must admit i haven't really been looking for an alternativ to Sonos. I am hooked and now just want to find the best solution.  I have been searching the net and it seems it is possible to get your sonos player modified a fairly amount of different places in Europe and US. But then again, i will not use a lot of extra money getting it modified if i cant utilize the approvement 100% in use with my Bl5´s. Does anyone else inhere have the Cullen modfied version or ZP90 and would recommend it?

/Ehlerz

• 04-11-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Hi,

you might want to check this:

http://www.hifi4all.dk/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88756&PN=3

It is said to sound better than the cullen mod ... and you don't have to order it in the US ... you can get in Europe, Germany. Dr. Gert Volk is a serious guy and absolutely knows what he is talking about ... a real scientist with an academic background.

I think i'll try to order a mod ... just out of pure interest.

Best regards

Tom

• 04-11-2011 5:13 PM In reply to

Hi

I have the setup described by rookie. One extremely annoying thing is that the Overture goes into stand by after 30 minutes without activity on its CD drive. When the Overture shuts down my BL5s does too and my listening on the spdiff source comes to a very sudden end.

I haven't found a setting to avoid this behavior.

Kim

• 04-11-2011 5:23 PM In reply to

Hi Kim,

i think i don't have that problem with the Ouverture shutting down?!

Best regards

• 04-12-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

Rookie:

I think i'll try to order a mod ... just out of pure interest.

WOW, talk about commitment to a thread :-) "I will get one myself so I can provide better feedback to Ehlerz" :-)

I have also considered contacting Dr. Volk for a modification to a standard ZP90. Let me know when/if you order one.

/Ehlerz

• 04-17-2011 12:36 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

Not related to sonos issue but I have had an idea for some time.

Wouldn't it be great to have iPhone/Android remote app that would control BeoMaster 5.

Obvious benefits:

-Great integration

-spdif that just works

-Ease of use from link room

-easy to add on

Hidden posibilities:

-MLGW style remote for B&O products from phone as BM5 has everything nessessary without spending 2500€ for this feature alone if one does not have lighting control

-spotify integration

-airplay integration
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)