in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-05-2011 3:08 PM by scottyltd. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2011 2:16 PM

Probably a stupid question but one that must be answered to silent my friend :)

It's a stupid question but needs to be clarified.

Just silent my friend, please!!

Speakers;

From a music/video source, whether B&O or not, does sound get transfered in an analogue or digital way to the speakers?

Can't wait!!

Cheers

• 04-05-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

Re: Probably a stupid question but one that must be answered to silent my friend :)

Mostly analogue.

But there are systems where you can digitally connect the speakers to the tv. But that's only possible with active speakers like the beolab 5.

• 04-05-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Probably a stupid question but one that must be answered to silent my friend :)

Beobuddy:

Mostly analogue.

But there are systems where you can digitally connect the speakers to the tv. But that's only possible with active speakers like the beolab 5.

Just to clarify slightly - "active" speakers means that the power amps are within the speaker cabinet and individual amps are matched to their respective drivers. To accept a digital signal then some form of DAC also needs to be contained within the speaker cabinet, as well as the power amps. In the B&O speaker range, only the BL5 is equipped to accept a digital signal - the other active speakers are not.

Other manufacturers also make speakers that will accept a digital input, even from relatively inexpensive PC "studio monitor" style speakers however, a digital input still relies on the quality of the DAC, amplifiers, drivers and cabinet design as much as any other speaker, i.e. a digital input alone does not necessarily imply "better".

Example of inexpensive PC monitors

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-05-2011 3:08 PM In reply to

Thank you for clarifying.

Job done, next argument please.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)