in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2011 1:46 AM by frank2u. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2011 2:05 AM

Are you happy with your Masterlink Gateway?

Hi,

I have a Masterlink Gateway. The good news is that it is working as described.
    I purchased it mainly for controlling my equipment with the iPhone. I think that it is too slow.
    If you take the phone and start the application it always takes over the settings from the gateway. It will take some minutes. In this time you cannot use the application comfortably. it is very slow and sometimes don't react on pressing the buttons. After a while it is working normally.
    IMHO it will be better to do the take over (balancing) manually.
    What do you think?

Frank

• 03-30-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Re: Are you happy with your Masterlink Gateway?

I am very happy with mine.

I used the Beolink Application but primarily use it

with a Lutron RadioRA2 system .. .

It works very nicely. .the RA2 can control the MLGW and visa versa.

I recommend it to anyone. . .It's costly but essentially contains within it a home automation software program if connected to a lighting system. . .Much more affordable than Creston or AMX

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 03-30-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

Hi Frank

I have found the iPhone's to be much slower than the iPad or iPod touch as the wifi on the phone goes to sleep when idle. Have a go with one of the other Apple products to see the difference! There is an Android version now available but I have not tried it yet. I have a KNX Gira home automation system wired into mine and I love it!!!
  • 03-30-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

frank2u:

If you take the phone and start the application it always takes over the settings from the gateway.
    It will take some minutes.

I'm using a dedicated router/access point for the B&O Network. When my iPhone 3G is in "standby" and WiFi is
    already "on" it takes  approx 15-20 seconds to press "Home" > "Unlock Phone" > start "Beolink App"
    >  press "Zones" > "Select a Zone" > Select "Source" (e.g. "CD", ...) to activate the selected source.

Then you'll have to add 5-10 seconds to get the sound of CD or RADIO on a TV or
    20-30 seconds till you have a picture on a TV (some external sources will require more time)

Using a Beo4 is much faster - 5 seconds for audio and 20 seconds for Video ...

• 03-30-2011 7:24 PM In reply to

mjmedlo:

I am very happy with mine.

I used the Beolink Application but primarily use it

with a Lutron RadioRA2 system .. .

It works very nicely. .the RA2 can control the MLGW and visa versa.

I recommend it to anyone. . .It's costly but essentially contains within it a home automation software program if connected to a lighting system. . .Much more affordable than Creston or AMX

Hi mjmedio,

I also have Radio RA2 at home and I am considering adding a MLGW. Could you please let us know a little bit more about your set up and how you use it. It could be a source for clues and inspiration for others in the same situation.

Thank you!!!

• 03-31-2011 1:35 AM In reply to

Vienna:

I'm using a dedicated router/access point for the B&O Network. When my iPhone 3G is in "standby" and WiFi is

already "on" it takes  approx 15-20 seconds to press "Home" > "Unlock Phone" > start "Beolink App"
    >  press "Zones" > "Select a Zone" > Select "Source" (e.g. "CD", ...) to activate the selected source.

Then you'll have to add 5-10 seconds to get the sound of CD or RADIO on a TV or
    20-30 seconds till you have a picture on a TV (some external sources will require more time)

Using a Beo4 is much faster - 5 seconds for audio and 20 seconds for Video ...

May be it takes not minutes, but it feels like minutes.

I sit on the couch having my iPhone in the pocket.  Now I want to switch on TV. I take the phone, start the App. At this point sometimes it says "searching...". Not always and I can ignore this. But mostly it is not really usable the first 30-60 seconds. It is stuttering like it works in the background. I think that it is adjusting against the last configuration in the gateway. After a while it is working normally and all is perfect.

I have a KNX installation connected to the gateway (only for the living room). And - say after the 60 seconds - it is working perfect too.

I am very annoying about the start of the application (30-60 seconds). For me it is too much. In this time I get up, take my remote control and get immediately the TV on.

I wonder if and how B&O gets feedback about the usability.

• 03-31-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

The setup with RA2 is very simple. . 

You simply connect the main repeater to the MLGW. . .i think the new software in the

MLGW will recognize commands from the RA system.

I have the older MLGW software so I actually had to write my own commands. . 

However, I have RA2 Keypads for "CD,iTunes, Forward, Back" and the Fade buttons control volume up and down. . 

I simply told the RA2/MLGW softwares that when button 'X' is pressed do function 'Y'

It was very simple to arrange and I love it.

I have a 'party' button that arranges lights and turns on playlist 'red' on my BS5 throughout the link system. . 

Very nice product. . . 

Any specific questions just ask!

MJM

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 04-01-2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

I'm thrilled with mine.  I use it at home with BOTH RadioRa and RadioRa2.  I barely ever use the App (only when I can't find my Beo4) cause there's always a remote around.  My favorite things about the Gateway (this week at least) is that I can actually program my hard buttons on the Ra systems to trigger B&O commands.

I have an "I'm Home" hard button that turns on my BV7 in my bedroom as well as triggering a light scene that pretty much mimics what my normal "I'm just getting home" routine is.  My "Away" button also turns off all my B&O gear so I don't have to walk around the house and make sure I remembered to switch everything off as I'm leaving!  Honestly though as "cool" as the idea of the App is I would only recommend the Gateway for someone with a multi-room system that's looking to also at the very least tie in a lighting system.  Also, Ra2 is extremely affordable and VERY versatile.  I would definintely recommend it for someone getting started with home automation.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 04-14-2011 1:46 AM In reply to

Not sure what happened in the last two weeks. The only thing I am aware is that my stereo is now connected by LAN instead of WLAN. But now it seems really much better. The iPhone App reacts as expected. I think there was no update of the Gateway or the App. So the problem was my network. I never thought this. But my problem is solved and the B&O App is now usable.
    Frank

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)