in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-01-2011 9:45 AM by Dave. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2011 1:24 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

BeoSound 8 distortion

Hi! I'm experiencing bass distortion when the volume is high. I even put the EQ on the iPod on bass reducer and the bass switch is on corner, is this normal?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-30-2011 3:12 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 8 distortion

Hi,

As far as I know, all BeoLabs suffer bass distortion at high volumes, it comes from the way the ABL is working. ABL is good for listening at low to mid volumes, not high volumes, you'll get the same distortion on speakers pushed to their extremes, especially BL 6000 or 3500 where the drivers themselves are so small.

The BeoSound 8 was criticized for this issue in a test from a French magazine, where they said the B&W Zeppelin was still their favourite because the BS8 couldn't reach the same performance level at high volumes..which, given the price, was not acceptable for them (the reviewers).Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 03-30-2011 4:27 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion:

Hi,

As far as I know, all BeoLabs suffer bass distortion at high volumes, it comes from the way the ABL is working. ABL is good for listening at low to mid volumes, not high volumes, you'll get the same distortion on speakers pushed to their extremes, especially BL 6000 or 3500 where the drivers themselves are so small.

The BeoSound 8 was criticized for this issue in a test from a French magazine, where they said the B&W Zeppelin was still their favourite because the BS8 couldn't reach the same performance level at high volumes..which, given the price, was not acceptable for them (the reviewers).Surprise

I remember reading that and being quite amazed - the Zeppelin sounds cr*p at all volumes.

As far as distortion goes - you can drive anything into distortion/clipping. Even if it has a limiter on it, you're still going to be able to clip it at some point...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-30-2011 5:49 AM In reply to

Hi Dave

Make sure the volume on your Ipod is never higher than say 85% of max. The BS8 also has difficulties when hooked up co a computer and the volume in say Itunes is set to max. So instead of turning volume up on ipod, do it on the BS8.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 03-30-2011 8:58 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

Hi Dave

Make sure the volume on your Ipod is never higher than say 85% of max. The BS8 also has difficulties when hooked up co a computer and the volume in say Itunes is set to max. So instead of turning volume up on ipod, do it on the BS8.

/Ehlerz

Isn't the DAC in the BS8? If so, what you get from the iPod/Pad is "line level". Or am I wrong?

/C

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 03-30-2011 11:43 AM In reply to

Hi Hiort

I dont know about that, but hooked up to airport express OR a computer there is distortion when Itunes volume level is set to max.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 04-01-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thank you guys.

If there are any BS8 owners who have noticed this characteristic please advise!

Love the Beosound 8 but to be frank it is pretty rough compared to the Beolabs, no comparison, and has definitely been built to a price which is OK.

If i don't turn up the Beosound 8 TOO high the sound is just great, for it's size.
    FYI volume control is via the ipod (controlled by Beosound 8) and guess what, you have to go in and make sure the EQ is set to off, or in my case, set to 'Bass Reducer' otherwise you get massive distortion and really nasty treble. It also adds in the ipods menu three EQ names to choose, flat, enhance and bass tilt, both EQ's spoilt the sound IMHO...

PS the bass switch is set to corner. Wow, b&o really loaded it with a lift in the low end and i think it was a mistake. Software update please? :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)