in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2011 5:29 PM by tournedos. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-17-2011 7:20 AM

• erandlux
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Luxemburg
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 4000 with ROTEL amplifier and connections problems on AUX TAPE TAPE1 on BM 7000

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to change my old and tired Beomaster 7000 with a non BO product (a ROTEL RA1520) but I want to keep my beolab 4000.

Since the Rotel have a pre-amp entry it will normally work with the line entry of the beolab 4000.

One question : Will the beolab turn on automatically when I  turn on my non BO amplifier (like today with the BM7000).

Thanks in advance for your anwser

Eric

• 03-17-2011 9:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 4000 with ROTEL amplifier

Hi,

With the phono input on your BeoLab 4000, the speaker will turn on automatically as soon as it gets a signal from your audio system.

It will go back to stand-by after 3 minutes without any sound.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 03-17-2011 1:55 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, if you set the BeoLabs to Line input it'll all work fine.

Any particular reason why you're ditching the Beomaster though? I use mine as a preamp and find it works rather well.

Don't know the RA 1520, but if the design and/or components are anything like the RA04, then the Beomaster 7000 will most probably outperform it! The RA04 is a good amp, but the pre-stage doesn't sound as good as my 7000 IMO.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-18-2011 3:21 AM In reply to

• erandlux
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Luxemburg
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

For music only, the BM7000 is damned good, but connecting Sony TV on it (via toslink optical converter + din to RCA)+ iphone + TV decodeur + DVD + PC ... the selector AUX, tape1 tape2, does not support it anymore and seems at the end .  I'm loosing signal between TV and BM7000, it sounds really bad a bit like in a bathroom.

I tried multiple connections types, everything on TV then TV on BM7000, everything directly on BM7000, same result.  exemple : TV is connected to AUX, if I select Tape1 or tape 2, it also works .... strange.

I will keep it for another room for jazz-whisky evenings..

If you have any idea that can help me keeping it, they are welcom.

thanks forall answers

Eric

• 03-18-2011 4:36 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Sounds like you are plugging the audio sources into the OUTPUTS on the Beomaster, not it's inputs. It's an easy mistake to make as I've seen so many cables where the labelling is the wrong way round!

Check your connections again and if you're currently connected into the inputs, try swapping to the outputs on the DIN connectors.

Each DIN connection (TAPE1, TAPE2, TV, CD, PHONO) carries sound both in and out of the amplifier, and when you connect to the output, you can still hear everything, but it bleeds across all the inputs, and it sounds terrible!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-18-2011 7:57 AM In reply to

• erandlux
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Luxemburg
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

^Sorry, I don't understand.  It used to work a few month ago,  I just effectivelly buy new cables din-rca,

What do you mean by input or output, I just have din 5 pins on the BM7000 to connect external sources on it should be only input ?

Is it a cable din-RCA problem ?

Thanks

Eric

• 03-18-2011 11:48 AM In reply to

What Alex is saying is I think correct. 5 Pin DIN sockets contain r and l input and also r and l output. We suspect that you have connected the TV to the output pins of the Beomaster. This is then going the 'wrong way' and feeding into all the sources . You need to check your wiring and it should work. The 7000 is a very good amplifier and will be hard to beat - most amplifiers are very difficult to tell apart so buying a new one is probably unnecessary.

• 03-18-2011 12:33 PM In reply to

• erandlux
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Luxemburg
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,

thanks for answering, but I still don't see how it can be wrong connected exept if it exist DIN to RCA cable that goes in only one direction.

I have no mention of input or output on the BM itself. Is it just inverting the 2 RCA cinch ?

Thanks for helping one more time.

Eric

• 03-18-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

• erandlux
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Luxemburg
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

I used another cable and it works good via my toslink-RCA converter.

I bought the previous cable at my BO dealer in Luxemburg, How can I be sure to buy the correct one since I've never seen a direction on such a DIN to RCA cable ?

Thanks for all

Eric

• 03-18-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

You need to specify a cable/adapter that carries the signal from the RCAs to the DIN. Sadly, this isn't always clear to the seller either, and it's rarely marked on the cable itself.

For these reasons, I always buy adapters from male DIN to 4 x female RCA so both signal directions are available (just leave the two RCAs unneeded for the purpose unconneced), and go with a regular male-to-male RCA interconnect cables from there.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)