in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-10-2011 2:55 PM by rednik. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2011 3:25 PM

Peoples obsession with the latest and greatest

I hate the fact that everyone these days is obsessed with specs, and having the latest and greatest of everything.  Airplay is an example, I keep hearing people banging on about how everything should be "airplay enabled", when in reality, in nearly every case there are better ways to achieve the same result.

Anyway, today I came across the best example yet of this phenomena.  I'm not knocking the product as they have simply identified a gap in the market and will probably sell loads because "it's wireless, ooohhhh" however who in their right mind would chose this solution with ugly boxes to hide, in preference to a powerlink cable and a load of installers labour for the same cost.

The worlds gone mad, mad I tell you! 

• 03-08-2011 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: Peoples obsession with the latest and greatest

rednik:
    who in their right mind would chose this solution with ugly boxes to hide, in preference to a powerlink cable and a load of installers labour for the same cost.

Never claiming to be in the right mind... ME! I would choose this!

I have been planning an addition for eons and have run through a million scenarios to pass PL around the older part of the structure with the least intrusion. You, my friend, may have solved it!

Off to read more and figure out the whole 110/220 issue! Thanks for the link! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-08-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Wireless is the new thing as people hate ripping carpets and floorboards up to install - which makes sense i suppose..

However, talking of obsession with the latest - i'm sometimes baffled when people ask if a BeoCenter 6 - 23" or BeoVision 6 - 22' is full HD - and when i say 'err.. no - but it really isn't that important on such a small screen, honestly' they assume the picture quality is akin to watching through a sheet of cling-film after rubbing mud in your eyes.

Full HD becomes more important as screen size increases.  That should be on some kind of warning label on the small screens!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 03-08-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

Well I think wireless is rubbish! I have several wireless devices - my BT homehub and my Epson PX720D printer - both play up regularly to such an extent that they are now wired!!

• 03-08-2011 4:31 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Wireless is the new thing as people hate ripping carpets and floorboards up to install - which makes sense i suppose.

I agree, and that was sort of the point of the post.  People don't look at the bigger picture (even in 1080 ;-)) a powerlink cable is really not difficult to hide, compared to those ugly ass things.  Especialy if you take the money you saved by not buying bulky and unreliable wireless tat, and spend it on the services of an electrician or pro AV installer to hide the cables.

Marketing is king, as emphasied by your full HD 22/23 example.  I believe that if B&O released a 40" TV, with significantly worse sound and picture than a BeoVision 10-40 and at the same price they would sell bucket loads assuming it had the ability to conect wireless speakers, a USB input, and a youtube widget that no one would ever actually use.

Anyway, rant over.  It just winds me up that people fall for this marketing stuff and no one seems to appreciate quality in the areas that are important anymore.

• 03-08-2011 5:00 PM In reply to

Its always been like this, Is it widescreen??  Is it flat screen?? Is it 100hz??  then came the lcd era!  all about flat panels then led, 3d, hd, full hd!  It will never end, I think be happy with what you have!

• 03-08-2011 5:03 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Thanks rednik for the link.

I read the specifcation pdf, and the dimensions. It could in fact be hidden.

The question I raise is if BOSSCOM technology has actually solved the TI, or zoned interference problems experienced with the early B&O wireless connectors. If they have, then it is a good solution for those who do not like to look at wires and cables (myself included ).

In hindsight, I should have bought stock in BOSCH Gmbh, having burned out so many electric drills and drill motors running cable lays through many 6.5 solid masonry walls. Your link item seems to be a smarter idea.

• 03-08-2011 7:58 PM In reply to

This is always the dilemma. Do you decide to grab the cash and give people wireless nonsense and goof-ball apps or do you try and use your expertise in the industry and try and act as an initial filter to bring your clients a more refined experience?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-08-2011 8:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

This is always the dilemma. Do you decide to grab the cash and give people wireless nonsense and goof-ball apps or do you try and use your expertise in the industry and try and act as an initial filter to bring your clients a more refined experience?

No, you lag desperately behind absolutely everyone - then release something which is already old-hat (and flawed, just for good measure) at a premium price, whilst creating some mystical smoke and mirrors for your exasperated dealers to hide behind in order to peddle it to people who don't know better.

However, i feel things may be changing.   Although Kalle may be leaving, i think he may have left a lasting legacy behind which has been handed to Tue on a silver marketing platter..

I'm looking forward to the future - and i'm hoping it's what we all want!

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 03-08-2011 8:29 PM In reply to

I wouldn't call this solution useless.  Not sure if wireless speakers are ever going to be able to compete with a wired, but I can see for some people who CAN'T rip up the floor or walls that may be interested in this.  Seems like a clunky solution but who knows...

• 03-09-2011 12:03 AM In reply to

Regarding having Full-HD on smaller screens, for some people that can really be useful. I often hook up my laptop to my TV's and run them either in dual-monitor mode or single-monitor mode. The BV10-40 is great as its 1920x1080 resolution allows much detail. On the BV8-32, its lower 1280x720 resolution is a limiting factor. When I use my TV's in "computer mode" my furniture layout allows me to sit close to the TV's, so the lower resolution of the BV8-32 is clearly visible. In some B&O press photos, they show the BV6 being used as a computer monitor. Its 1280x720 resolution would be too low for its 22" or 26" screen size in this application.

Just my 2 cents. I agree that regular TV watching at typical distances would not require Full-HD on the smaller screens.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 03-09-2011 9:22 AM In reply to

macjonny1:

I wouldn't call this solution useless.  Not sure if wireless speakers are ever going to be able to compete with a wired, but I can see for some people who CAN'T rip up the floor or walls that may be interested in this.  Seems like a clunky solution but who knows...

Thank you -pretty much sums up my take on this.

Frankly, "latest and greatest" is a bit misleading. Wireless speaker technology is certainly not new and not necessarily great. When I hear the phrase -especially combined with "obsession" as here -the first thing that pops in my mind: lines of people around the corner waiting for their new iWidget.

I doubt anyone would be "upgrading" their existing installation with these items. Rather, they are simply an option that are especially suited for possibly difficult installs.

Me? I would consider them -but will probably go the wired route anyway! It is nice to have options though!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-09-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

I don't see a problem with that. I have been using Squeezebox Duets for ages. It's the same sort of thing, only Squeezeboxes aren't powerlink-enabled.

With powered speakers, wireless streaming is gold. 

For my monitoring it's wired, though, as the latency in wireless wreaks havoc on precision and speed.

• 03-10-2011 4:15 AM In reply to

I can only add that I thought wireless was great, until, I got a new home hub and it has to be switched off when not being used as it intereferes with the wireless central heating control and my flat freezes - computer is now hardwired in as that intereferes too. And the home hub intereferes and causes crackle on the phone line - it's not my beocom as it stops when it's switched off - despite changing the wall socket for the latest one. And then there's air play which drains the battery in the iPod and means you have to plug it in every couple of hours - plus it cuts out. I had a cheap wireless doorbell that kept going off as a neighbour also had the same one - perhaps they're more popular than i am!. The burglar alarm is wireless and that seems to work though.

I'm definetely not a fan of wireless as before everything worked and in anyh case how much work is it anyway to conceal wires. At some point all these wireless devices will interfere with each other. On the upside i guess though if you move home a lot it would be ideal.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 03-10-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

hi these might be a great option for me as it will save me running in cables under the timber floor. can anyone actually see the price??

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 03-10-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

tbh sounds like something is either not conforming to standards or faulty. You could of course change the wireless channel as this might help...

Personally I have NEVER had a problem with my wireless connection always a great signal never drops no complaints :) Again poeple having problems should try changing channels or moving elsewhere. Of course not all routers are made equal!

The only thing is if the baby monitor is right next to the modem it will not initially pair up with the base unit. move it a meter away, pair it up and everything is fine and stays that way no matter what.

ajames:

I can only add that I thought wireless was great, until, I got a new home hub and it has to be switched off when not being used as it intereferes with the wireless central heating control and my flat freezes - computer is now hardwired in as that intereferes too. And the home hub intereferes and causes crackle on the phone line - it's not my beocom as it stops when it's switched off - despite changing the wall socket for the latest one. And then there's air play which drains the battery in the iPod and means you have to plug it in every couple of hours - plus it cuts out. I had a cheap wireless doorbell that kept going off as a neighbour also had the same one - perhaps they're more popular than i am!. The burglar alarm is wireless and that seems to work though.

I'm definetely not a fan of wireless as before everything worked and in anyh case how much work is it anyway to conceal wires. At some point all these wireless devices will interfere with each other. On the upside i guess though if you move home a lot it would be ideal.

Olly.

• 03-10-2011 2:55 PM In reply to

I still don't understand how these, with their big box, and power leads which run to the nearest outlet, are ever easier than hiding a tiny powerlink cable.  Powerlink nearly always fits in the expansion gap round a wood floor, or under the skirting, or behind the edge of a carpet.  Most times there is no need to lift, or cut, or drill, just a bit of patience.

I fear the point of my post got completely lost, but to those of you thinking of buying these look at where you will hide the mains, look at how small a powerlink cable is, and think how well a professional installer could hide the powerlink if you pay him what you were going to pay out on these wireless things.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)