in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-02-2011 12:01 PM by burantek. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-28-2011 7:01 AM

A funny thought/idea

Hello,

I have a little idea for Beoworld: What about making statistics about all the Beoworlders' B&O gear? Such as listing how many and who has a specific B&O product?

It would be fun, and we can estimate the rareness of some of the vintage stuff? Smile

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 02-28-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: A funny thought/idea

I'd be up for this!

• 02-28-2011 7:04 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

A valid point and a good idea,

I often thought this in the early days, but i'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be too keen to publish on the internet their entire B&O collection for all to see..  notably burglars.

Sad

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-28-2011 7:15 AM In reply to

If it was a poll, it would be anonymous. 

• 02-28-2011 7:20 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Søren Hammer:

Such as listing how many and who has a specific B&O product?

Sorry - maybe i was reading into the post too much.

If it was anonymous, then yes i'm sure something could be done.  Not sure if we could use an online 'stat counter' programme?

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-28-2011 7:28 AM In reply to

A poll or online stat program would be sufficient Smile

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 02-28-2011 8:17 AM In reply to

Good idea....Yes -  thumbs up

• 02-28-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This would be really neat!

There are a bunch of us that list our stuff in our BeoWorld profiles.

Evan

• 02-28-2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

i'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be too keen to publish on the internet their entire B&O collection for all to see..  notably burglars.

Sad

A lot of posters list their collection as a footer in their posts.

• 02-28-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

Opman:

9 LEE:

i'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be too keen to publish on the internet their entire B&O collection for all to see..  notably burglars.

Sad

A lot of posters list their collection as a footer in their posts.

And the "Flash Your B&O" thread is stuffed with pictures of peoples' homes Smile

• 02-28-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Its a brilliant idea and should be very interesting to see the results!

Durban South Africa

• 02-28-2011 1:09 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I remember suggesting similar function in some eariler thread. Other forums I visit (like Lemon64 and Lemon-Amiga websites) have a similar system: when you look a description of a game you can press a button to indicate you have one, and the site shows how many users have the item in question. Here in Beoworld this would serve well the purpose of statistics/rarity of certain models.

In similar way I'd like to see some integration between the product descriptions and the forum. Fe. at the end of a description of an item there could be links to some threads about the item or some of it's typical faults.

Perhaps the user/service manuals should be mentioned at the product description, too. Or at least something like "User manual available" to avoid those posts asking if a certain manual is available and if somebody could send it.

I used to be here in Beoworld with my full name (rather than an username) but I changed it back to username as I was a bit worried, especially after posting a lot of pictures of my setups and having a list of all my B&O gear in my profile description! Don't know if this was over-cautious, though.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 02-28-2011 5:15 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Right now user Peter is trying to gather some input for the product pages to get more of a user/owner point of view. Its one of the pinned threads in the general forum.

Remember, the profiles are only accessible by members of the site...

Evan

• 03-01-2011 2:45 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

That would be fantastic! Yes anonymous, but also things like; what is the most common in which country etc, FASCINATING! Let's give it a go? :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-01-2011 12:17 PM In reply to

I'll be the mathematical curmudgeon then Big Smile

I like the idea, and the results of such a survey/poll/statistic would of course be highly interesting to us all, but their relevance to a real statistic (in the scientific sense) would be close to zero.

The reason is that the vast majority of people would never actually take part in the survey even if separately asked to. That is not a big problem in itself - cf. political polls etc with very small samples but still rather reliable results - but the fact that all the people who take part are chosen by themselves, not randomly, is a problem. That will badly skew the results. The "active" people are usually always the same, people with oddball collections / tastes like to bring them forward (see the threads on "your favourite record" etc, you'll be lucky if you've ever heard of 10% of the choices...), and so on.

Of course it would be anonymous, but that could still be a problem for a "known" member from a B&O-demographically very sparse country. The results might not be very interesting globally because of the inherently small sample aside from a few countries. If we for example end up with one BS7000 listed from Finland, what does that tell you?

Then, there are a some technical & user interface problems to solve. Entering the items would have to be some kind of a "pick from a list" system, or you'll end up with 15 different spellings of any given product. There have been quite a few B&O products since 1927 and it makes this a bit tedious! Don't forget you'd have to keep your list up-to-date as well.

But, I would like to see it as well! Who is going to do all the coding? Unsure

-mika

• 03-01-2011 12:48 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    But, I would like to see it as well! Who is going to do all the coding?

Techdumb responding... What if it was driven from the Products section on the main site? (e.g.) Navigate to page "BM4000" and tick off a radio button on the page that you have one. IP address could be logged to define the country of origin.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-01-2011 1:12 PM In reply to

Yes, that could be a solution for that part of the problem. No need to duplicate the list of products as it is already in the database (I dunno how complete it is though, but I suppose all modern time, real products are in there). Altering your own list should still have a separate interface as I personally would be hard pressed to go through the trouble of visiting all my own products even once...

And of course a "I have [_3] pcs of all products between [19__] - [20__]" shortcut for Leslie Laughing

IP numbers are reallocated all the time and aren't a reliable locating method, but of course the country of a logged in member is or should be known anyway.

-mika

• 03-01-2011 1:37 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

tournedos:
    And of course a "I have [_3] pcs of all products between [19__] - [20__]" shortcut for Leslie Laughing
    I wonder how many beo hoarders would list their entire beo stash.......

• 03-01-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

Dave:

That would be fantastic! Yes anonymous, but also things like; what is the most common in which country etc, FASCINATING! Let's give it a go? :)

I agree! Would it be working or non-working items you have? Ifit's non-working then you can't include your A8s Dave..... Stick out tongue

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-02-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    Altering your own list should still have a separate interface as I personally would be hard pressed to go through the trouble of visiting all my own products even once...

Point. Back to the amount of coding...

Perhaps the backing table data that feeds the product list boxes could feed the same in the user profile template? Same format presented horizontally as line numbers with a "+" after each consecutive line item to ADD more. Also include a QTY box to fill in. All the data exists to do this, short of the QTY column. The newly collected data could be added to the account info -collecting location data behind the scenes. Perhaps a checkbox to "HIDE" the info from anyone besides the user in the profile, should people wish to remain anonymous.

Just thoughts... Geeked

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)