in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2011 4:56 AM by ........... 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2011 7:56 AM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Labour rates

What are dealers charging per hour for repairs? Just been asked to repair something, and don't have a clue what to charge.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-27-2011 9:52 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Re: Labour rates

craig

been quoted at 50€toupgrade sw on a bs4 - thats for 30mins work so that equates to about £80/hour

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 02-27-2011 10:30 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks Tony, think I might have just underpriced myself.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-27-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

Depends on whether you're in a workshop setting or just a handy guy. With a professional repair shop you have a facility, equipment, parts inventory, employees, etc. so the hourly rate reflects that scale of business. Just like with installation where you vehicles, employees, tools, parts inventory, etc. 

If you're just a handy guy then it's mostly your time you're charging for. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-27-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

Depends on whether you're in a workshop setting or just a handy guy. With a professional repair shop you have a facility, equipment, parts inventory, employees, etc. so the hourly rate reflects that scale of business. Just like with installation where you vehicles, employees, tools, parts inventory, etc. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-27-2011 11:29 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Very true Trip, I totally agree with you. Just wanted to know what dealers charged to give me an idea. Think I have given a fair quote.

CraigSmile

• 02-28-2011 4:30 AM In reply to

I think most dealers in the UK charge around £80 per hour....

If I am doing an independant installation or repair work, I usually aim for around £30/40 p/h, plus travel expenses if the job is further than say, a 100 mile round trip. 

I normally price for the job, rather than hourly rates to be honest. 

Hope this helps!

• 02-28-2011 4:46 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Just bear in mind the responsibility when quoting the 'going rate' Craig, you should offer some sort of warranty if it breaks again. You should also perform an insulation test and basic safety check before release.

Olly.

• 02-28-2011 4:56 AM In reply to

^^^ Yes -  thumbs up

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)