in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-05-2011 7:38 PM by Alex. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2011 6:41 AM

Beolab 1 + BC9500

my set up is BC9500 hooked to beolab1. would members agree that playing a mp3 (beosound 2/beosound 6) through the aux channel of BC 9500 can be quite revealing?! if yes would this be because of the circuitry of BC9500 which was not made to handle mp3 files.  

woluld this be equally revealing if i were to hook it directly to beolab1?

thanks very much indeed for your feedback/suggestion.

cheers

pattabhi

• 03-03-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 1 + BC9500

aint sure if my post got lost in the pile; seeking your valuable advice on the above

cheers

pattabhi 

• 03-04-2011 3:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not quite sure what you mean. An audio input has no way of being designed 'to handle MP3'.

If you mean will that system be able to show up the difference between MP3 and Lossless, then the answer is yes. In fact, most systems will show up the difference over longer listening sessions...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-04-2011 4:15 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Pattabhiraman:

my set up is BC9500 hooked to beolab1. would members agree that playing a mp3 (beosound 2/beosound 6) through the aux channel of BC 9500 can be quite revealing?! if yes would this be because of the circuitry of BC9500 which was not made to handle mp3 files.  

woluld this be equally revealing if i were to hook it directly to beolab1?

thanks very much indeed for your feedback/suggestion.

cheers

pattabhi

"Not quite sure what you mean."

So, I`m not alone....

Sure, it is possible to connect an mp3 player to BC9500. I have a similiar setup as a local source in a linkroom.

BC9500 with BL5000. ipod docking station connected to A.TAPE2 socket. Docking station can be controlled by BL7000,Beo4/5/6 via BC9500 (and connected linkrooms). Works great. Connecting iphone to the docking station will start up my BC9500 and BL5000 in A.TAPE2 (N.MUSIC) mode.

If this is what you want to know I hope it helps...(?)

Stefan

• 03-04-2011 11:00 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Since you are using the BeoLabs, you will most likely get the same sound result from either configuration.

Reason being, you are using the same DAC in your mobile device and the same amplifier (BeoLab). Placing the 9500 in the signal path would not drastically change the sound quality. UNLESS, you have your bass, treble and loudness settings adjusted differently in the BC9500 and the BeoSound 2/6. If they are both on "flat" settings, the sound should remain unaltered.

I am assuming that when you say revealing, you mean the system reproduces the terrible compression characteristics. Only way to improve this is to get decent recordings, it will drastically improve your sound quality. Garbage in only gets you garbage out!

I would keep the 9500 in play, it will add a lot of convenience!

Evan

• 03-05-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

thanks very much indeed. it is attributable to bad recordings. however if i recall my memory correctly one of the B&o promotion actually mentioned of hooking a MP3 player to a BL3/BL5. does that mean that these speakers are better equipped to overcome immensely compressed files?

cheers

pattabhi

• 03-05-2011 11:41 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Any active speaker has that ability, due to the simple fact that they have their own amplifiers. The other critical need in a setup like this is a source with a volume control, as there is not one in any BeoLab. A popular setup with smaller BeoLabs for sure. Just place a MP3 player between your speakers, make a few simple connections and you're off! Personally I think it would be a huge waste to dedicate most any BeoLab to an MP3 player.

The BeoLab 5 is a special case. It has its own DAC built in. This is why they have digital inputs as well as Powerlink. So, that allows the user to feed it with a raw digital feed and allow for the best results via the bespoke DAC. However, BeoSounds 2 and 6 could not take advantage of this since they are without a digital output.

Evan

• 03-05-2011 7:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Pattabhiraman:

thanks very much indeed. it is attributable to bad recordings. however if i recall my memory correctly one of the B&o promotion actually mentioned of hooking a MP3 player to a BL3/BL5. does that mean that these speakers are better equipped to overcome immensely compressed files?

cheers

pattabhi

Absolutely not. A poor quality MP3 recording will still sound like a poor quality MP3 recording through the BeoLab 5 or 3. In fact, the BeoLab 5 and 3 are both quite likely to reveal and show-up the issues to do with MP3.

The worse your speakers are, the more difficult it becomes to hear the horrible side-effects of MP3.

Good speakers will generally tend to only sound good if you feed them with a good signal, and IMO it would be rediculous to spend anything more than £300 on speakers and feed them with MP3s.

It's like running an Aston Martin on vegetable oil, you just wouldn't do it.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)