in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-04-2011 2:05 PM by Evan. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2011 4:00 PM

Death of the B&O Mobile / Cell Phone

B&O is, as we know, pulling out of the phone market. I've been happy to use a Serene for a couple of years (bought second hand whilst still under guarantee). A nice to use phone once you got the hang of the wheel and dial, but limited if you wanted to do anything other than basic calls and texts.

As reported on the forum, I had an initial overheating / battery run-down problem and repair under guarantee, although the hinge came back looking as if it had been gripped by pliers in someone's workshop. I also had a dock failure (replaced via eBay).

After a recent motor failure and reversion to manual clamshell phone closing I began to think about replacement. Coincidentally, and out of the blue, my Mobile SIM provider (Virgin) offered me a Blackberry for nothing (i.e. same £10 tariff as the SIM) just when I was considering an iPhone. The Blackberry has its own issues (like very small keys) but its capabilities far far exceed anything that B&O produced.

B&O made the right decision to pull out of this market and I can't imagine many people who paid full price for a Serene being impressed in the long run. Unique products need to be reliable to justify high prices.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-22-2011 4:12 PM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Re: Death of the B&O Mobile / Cell Phone

Hi Graham

A customer has reported the same issues with her Serene as you have described. I sent an email to the servcie centre in Denmark to try to establish the cost of repair out of warranty. The reply was that the motor unit is no longer available as a spare meaning that they can  no longer offer a repair for the reported fault.

The offer of a Blackberry is timely and appears to be a good deal for you.

Nick

• 02-23-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

So much for the old B&O 10 year spare availability they used to bang (no pun intended) on about!

I also had a Serene. The experience was woeful, so I sold it to some poor chap. Funnily enough, I never received a Christmas card from him.

• 02-25-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

I want a broken Serene to put in a display cabinet!!!!

Anyone got an old one they want to sell/donate?

Cheers

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 02-25-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

And there was me trying to warrant getting a second hand Serene to back up my shiny B&O collection. I won't bother.

The only other make i "follow" is Cowen who make top notch MP3 player, and its rumoured they are making a smart phone, but not with Itunes(FLAC etc)

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-25-2011 3:01 PM In reply to

I have never been much of a fan of mobile phones - I only varry one when I must and my old Nokia 8910 was all I ever needed. I did get a Serene when they came out and it was pretty dire - it went back twice before my kind dealer put me out of my misery and refunded my money! I bought an iPhone and wouldn't have anything else now. It may be ubiquitous, but that is because it is very good!

• 02-25-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Large48:

Cheers

Got an old Beocom 9800 with the desk charger if you are interested?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-25-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Large48:

Cheers

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-26-2011 11:48 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Am I the only one who likes the Serene? Laughing

I always like to be different when I can and the Serene makes me very, very different. I am blessed with an issue-less unit that hasn't given me any problems. I love the simplicity, no need to keep up. I always hated using cellphones, but the Serene makes calling fun! I also really like the attention it gets - different.

About three weeks ago my cell contract ran out and and I wanted to take the smartphone plunge. I had it narrowed down to the iPhone 3GS and Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. I really wanted the Sony, I really wanted to stay different. Nothing could make me blend in more than having an iPhone. I also wanted to have the least hassle, so I went with peoples advice. Everyone and I mean absolutely everyone said iPhone. Of course they did, they all had one. I said "fine." and walked out with an iPhone 

I won't lie, this thing is an incredible piece of mobile tech, but I am completely disinterested in this thing. Recently a Newsweek article about Apple design was describing things like the iPhone, iPod and iPad as "featureless slabs." Couldn't agree more.

My dad also got an iPhone that day. He is also massively put off by it too, but for functionality reasons. His is shutting off all on it's own and whenever it wants. I cannot remember the last time a phone battery ran out on me. This thing has an atrocious battery.

My father and I are going to the AT&T store tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be able to make the switch, I feel like I may have already assimilated almost completely. I know my dad is changing for sure. My Serene is proving to be more reliable.

Sorry for the ramble...

Is there a BeoWorld app for android? Laughing

Evan

• 02-26-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Well, I consider myself as a hardcore B&O fan. I only have B&O. But this is not valid for one market, cellphones. B&O never had the chance to stick up with the price and functions of the competitors.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-26-2011 3:57 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I think the Serene turned out just as B&O wanted - simple. A phone to be a phone and nothing else.

None of their products try to out-feature the competitors, in any category.

Evan

• 02-27-2011 12:24 AM In reply to

Strange as it may seem for most people, I love my Serenata, and can't imagine using another phone.

I'm even thinking about buying a new one to replace it if my first one stops working; and for the moment it's been very robust and durable. 3 years of daily use, at work, home and abroad. No bugs, no viruses, no spam, it is a phone.And the music player is way better than anything else in terms of sound;I played some tracks 2 days ago at a party, with the built-in speakers coming out of nowhere, and people couldn't believe what they heard. Clean, pure sound, no saturation, just music..Yes, texting sucks, but it is not impossible!I can't imagine going back to the long "press,select,press up up up a thousand times" to access contacts: I just turn the wheel and press "green" to call someone.

I bought an Iphone 4 last month, thinking I would enter the "modern world" of communication, and also because the price I paid for it was ridiculous: after 10 minutes spent using it as a cellphone, I removed the SIM card and put it back in my Serenata; now the Iphone stays at home as a 2-way remote for my BeoPort, and for that purpose, it is great.I have a 50-inch screen at home as my computer monitor,why would I browse Internet on such a tiny telephone screen? Same for reading & typing e-mails, I feel like a boy with a Fisher Price toy in his hands!I need a proper keyboard, or nothing. Same for watching movies: come on, you have big screens at home, don't you?! Smartphones are all but compromises. To me at least.

When people look at my Serenata, they ask : "what is this?"; when people looked at the Iphone, they said "wow, so you have an Iphone TOO?"Big Smile

Everybody wants an Iphone; I don't want to be everybody..Cool

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-27-2011 1:47 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I feel like I could definitely get along with a Serenata Wink

Thanks for sharing Chris Yes -  thumbs up

Evan

• 02-27-2011 5:08 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Just got home from the AT&T store and left my Apple behind.

Evan

• 03-03-2011 12:22 AM In reply to

Craig:

Craig,

You have a PM

Cleve

• 03-03-2011 4:38 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Just got mine, and wow...i now have o2 reception at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its doesn't just drop me off calls in the middle of a city for no reason....WOW

And yes i have been using an Iphone.

How do i connect my A8's to it without buying and earset?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 03-03-2011 8:30 AM In reply to

• Bebs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • London & Denmark
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

My serene is sitting in a drawer doing nothing. Almost brand new from B&O store in Denmark - hardly used. I even have 2 desk chargers with it!  Shame, but I now use iphone for work so the Serene is obsolete.

• 03-03-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

My Serene was used for about a year.  I purchased it new in Paris and have not only the european desk charger but also have a US desk charger and a car charger.  I take it out of the drawer and look at occasionally.  As a Beophile, it was something I had to have but the reality is that it looked great but was not very useful.  I have had several iPhones since I purchased the Serene.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-03-2011 5:48 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

My Serene is on proud display open and docked on its charger on top of my dresser with the rest of my mobile hi-fi and electronic stuff. I use it every now and then now. Currently I am operating from a brand new HTC Inspire 4G.

Evan

• 03-04-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

Evan:

My Serene is on proud display open and docked on its charger on top of my dresser with the rest of my mobile hi-fi and electronic stuff. I use it every now and then now. Currently I am operating from a brand new HTC Inspire 4G.

Mine is now a display item too!

The replacement BlackBerry is a superb phone if you like proper (if rather small) keys, but its battery recharge life is nothing like as good as the Serene. I'm lucky to get a day out of it (admittedly with email messaging on (but not battery eating Bluetooth).

And dare I say that the telephone sound quality on the BlackBerry is better than the much vaunted quality of the Serene!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 03-04-2011 9:17 AM In reply to

vikinger:
    A nice to use phone once you got the hang of the wheel and dial, but limited if you wanted to do anything other than basic calls and texts.

Based on that statement, I always loved my Serenes -note the past tense. I think they are great phones, but modern life dictates the need for smart-er phones. I use a Droid (Milestone) and an iPhone4 daily.

I do miss the Serenes and might consider keeping one on hand for sentimental reasons as well as perhaps formal nights out. There is a simple elegance to them -similar to cufflinks or a cigarette case rather than the "Nintendo Gameboys" that all modern phones have become.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-04-2011 9:56 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

You guys sure have the theory down! Spot on.

Re: the battery, I agree. My HTC is able to get me through the day but only just. It has been incredible watching the battery become more sustainable after only 4 or 5 days of conditioning. It has a massive on screen keyboard, 4.3"! The only thing it cannot do is post on BeoWorld!!! I used the Bluetooth on my Serene and connected it to the HandsFreeLink sys in my car. No real hurt on the battery even with BT on. Mine would go almost 2 days!

I use mine more than just formally though, sometimes just feel like switching it up! Whenever people stop to talk to me they always ask if they can see it. Cool

BTW Jaff, great strategy with the 2 phones! Once one runs down, just flip on yer back up!! Laughing

Evan

• 03-04-2011 11:19 AM In reply to

Evan:
    BTW Jaff, great strategy with the 2 phones! Once one runs down, just flip on yer back up!!

...or to keep yourself sane in the wonderful world of multiple consultancies. Geeked

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-04-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

...or to keep yourself sane in the wonderful world of multiple consultancies.

A double agent!

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)