in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2011 1:40 AM by jrantala. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2011 4:04 AM

Trying to use Beocord VHS91.2 as an audio recorder

Hi!

I am trying to use a Beocord VHS91.2 video recorder as an audio HIFI recorder, but cannot get any decent result - at least with my old BM 1001.

Using a standard 5 pin DIN cord between the two, the levels of the Beomaster tape output seem to be much too low for the Beocord (with the Beocord's rec level set to maximum, the level indicators hardly blink at the -20dB level!). Playback, of course, is rubbish. Am I missing something here, or are they just incompatible - will I get better results if I get hold of a newer Beomaster model like 5000 or 5500 (additionally, they have the datalink as well..) ?

BTW, are there service manuals available for the Beocord VHS91.2 ? Or, if not, what Hitachi video recorder model it was based on, and are service manuals easier to obtain for HItachis ?

-jari

• 02-20-2011 8:37 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Trying to use Beocord VHS91.2 as an audio recorder

Hi Jari, I might be wrong, but in order to have both input and output in stereo, should it not be the 7 pin DIN?
    The VCR should be compatible with any Beomaster as if it was just another tape deck.

Curious as to where you got the impression that it was a Hitachi based VCR, I thought that was the V3000?

7 pin DIN Datalink wiring can be found HERE.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-21-2011 3:26 AM In reply to

I think this is an age thing!! Big Smile B&O used to used the DIN standard for tape players but changed at about the time of the Beocord 8000 and beyond. The VHS91.2 will use LINE standard and I imagine this is your problem. A Beomaster 5000 should work fine. I do also have a service manual for most of the earlier video players - I am short of the VX range though. They are however huge and complicated. If anyone wishes to have one, I will send one to them free on the condition that they scan a copy for the site! This is not a generous offer! Big Smile

• 02-21-2011 4:49 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

This machine is Hitachi based Andy. I think the first examples were philips and I am sure there was a Grundig or something equally wrong later on??? The only vcr B&O fully custom designed was the super slim VX5x00 range. Not sure whos mech they used in these later designs.

Olly.

• 02-21-2011 4:55 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I might do my bit for Beoworld Peter - little busy atm though. I recently scanned a diagram of a 4002/4 (as originally recieved with the player) and patched the pages together and it looks soo much clearer. When I get to the printers I will be printing to A3 I think! Only thing is it is in BMP format so it is rather large. I wonder if there are any suitable free pdf converters...?

Olly.

• 02-22-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

Step1:

I wonder if there are any suitable free pdf converters...?

Olly

OpenOffice has free PDF tools and I believe that OpenOffice Draw, which is part of the "software suite"  has a export/save to PDF option, or if not, open the image in OpenOffice Writer and export/save to PDF.

Stoobie

• 02-23-2011 5:36 AM In reply to

BMP - pdf:

Not sure if saving BMP directly to pdf-documents work (i.e. do they actually save any space), but converting BMP to JPG certainly reduces the size of the picture files. This can be done on any decent free graphics editor like Irfanview or similar.

VHS91.2:

So, the conclusion is that I got to get a "fresher" Beomaster model for the audio recordings to work.

Also, on the VHS91.2, how hard it is to change the belts on these as I have 2 of them and the second one is really sluggish and hardly rewinds the tape at all ?

• 02-24-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Step1:
    This machine is Hitachi based Andy.

Sorry, I stand corrected!Embarrassed

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-24-2011 2:38 PM In reply to

The VX5000 etc was also made by Hitachi to a B&O design - though there is one Hitachi model that is pretty similar (but very rare!) These machines are made in Japan. I must confess to loving these - the VX5000 in particular - but they can never be called reliable! The fault with the VX5000 was simply complexity and heat, both of which are addressed in the VX5500. For a simple player, the VX7000 is probably the best, but why should a simple player retail for £1200!! Quite frankly, buying one of these new was a definite sign of madness! Big Smile Panasonic made better players for under half the price with just as good a picture and better sound. They didn't look like the VX5000 though!

• 03-03-2011 1:40 AM In reply to

Update - I tried with a Beomaster 6000 connected to the VHS91.2, and the recording levels were now OK in this configuration. So it was the old DIN level connections in the BM1001 that were to blame!

But now I have loud, low frequency rumble in the recordings. PSU caps in VHS91.2 or something else ? Any guesses ?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)