in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2011 5:04 AM by elephant. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2011 3:34 AM

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

Very Off Topic

Ladies and gentlemen......

i need some advice....

as some of you will remember i lost my wife a couple of years ago....

however, i i now have a lovely new lady who has 2 children, both girls 13 and 15 ( or 20 and 25 as i prefer )...

we are off to the big apple next week for a few days and would like some ideas of what and where to go, obviously shopping is on the agenda....and shopping.....probably some shopping, oh yes, and shopping....but i would like to do other stuff !

also, if anyone has 4 tickets for Lady GaGa at Madison Square Garden on 21st Feb the girls would be amazed lol....( i would prefer Bon Jovi myself !)

many thanks......

Andym

• 02-15-2011 3:48 AM In reply to

Re: Very Off Topic

Uggs / Jack Wills / Abercrombie / Hollister / Barbour should cover most of what you need.................. :-(

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 02-15-2011 3:56 AM In reply to

For some excellent food, visit Anthony Bourdains restaurant, Les Halles.  I've only been to the one on South Park Avenue, the setting is excellent.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-15-2011 4:39 AM In reply to

If the weather is good, take a stroll along the Highline, at the Meat Packing District. 

Really nice view over the area and the Hudson river.

Link: http://www.thehighline.org/

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 02-15-2011 4:41 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Large48:

Uggs / Jack Wills / Abercrombie / Hollister / Barbour should cover most of what you need.................. :-(

Yup - just drop them off at Jack Wills on the Friday and collect them on the Monday just before you leave. They'll be in pink and blue striped heaven and all their friends will 'Like This' on Facebook, which is all a teenager can ask for.  Oh, and don't forget their phone chargers - they'll be texting constantly too.

Lee

Big Smile

PS - My Daughter is 12, going on 15...

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-15-2011 5:26 AM In reply to

Hiort:

If the weather is good, take a stroll along the Highline, at the Meat Packing District. 

Really nice view over the area and the Hudson river.

Link: http://www.thehighline.org/

Ditto - was there last September (granted it was a balmy evening), and the view and the ambience were sublime. A chill out zone away from the freneticism of the streets. Would look amazing with snow.

Also try the Frick Gallery and the Cooper Museum - google them - they're near Central Park, not far from the Guggenheim.

If you're into architecture, Mies Van der Rohe's Seagram Building is a must.

Other than that, just walk...I never did find a B & O store however. And I was there for a week...!

Stuart

• 02-15-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

My top Architecture tip of NYC is the Citigroup Building. Hard to beat.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-15-2011 6:21 AM In reply to

Hi lee

hope you have a great time in new york, wife and i did it two years ago

whenever we go to a strange city  we always take a sightseeing bus, the advantage of this is you have a brief glimpse of all the major sites so you can then select the ones you would like to see in detail.

shopping  bloomingdales , tiffanys look only lol  grand central station brings back memories of seeing in many films also it is very clean and some good food shops in the station, times square the girls will like hersheys chocolate shop and the mmm sweet shop nearby you might have a sweet tooth also lol. central park with john lennons strawbery fields  memorial, empire state builfing great views, we also did the helicopter flight over the city which is great. A show on broadway if you have time we saw mama mia, the madiston square gardens all the boxing events there

If you need any computer software or new ipad far cheaper than uk

EG us price £379 Uk price £525 on todays exchange rate for 32gb model

have a great time

malcolm welborn

• 02-15-2011 7:25 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

malcolm welborn:

Hi lee

hope you have a great time in new york...

Huh?

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-15-2011 7:40 AM In reply to

I loved the Metropolitan Museum - I spent 2 days mainly in there! Also MoMA just to check what B&O is on display! I went up the Statue of Liberty - view pretty average but certainly worth the trip to see inside the structure. My wife lived in New York for a year - her favourite place was Windows On The World - which obviously is no longer there. I would probably visit the site just to remember.

Friends of mine are visiting at the moment - they were pleading poverty when last seen but are staying at the Waldorf Astoria!

• 02-15-2011 8:06 AM In reply to

I did a helicopter tour, that was awesome.

Otherwise, the attractions that are on the City Pass are good. but it took us 6 days to do them all.

• 02-15-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

Doctor:
    Also MoMA just to check what B&O is on display

No B&O any longer at MoMA :-(

• 02-15-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

Eat pastrami at Katz's deli. Have Pizza somewhere with "Ray" in the name. Go to the Museum of Natural History (via Central Park if possible where you can stop off at Belvedere Castle). Also go to the Hayden Planetarium. Eat at the secret burger restaurant in the lobby of Le Parker Meridian. Walk around SoHo and see everyone at their best. I second the high-line, though it's vastly more enjoyable when the weather isn't so bad (though it's starting to warm up a little). Go to the Top of the Rock at 30 Rock for one of the best views in the city (better than the Empire State Building, whose view omits the Empire State Building). Take a handsome cab ride in Central Park. Actually don't take the ride, but say hello to the horses on Central Park South. While you're there take a look at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue (the glass cube). Maybe the kids are a little old for FAO Schwartz, but it's next door to Apple. Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, & Barney's are also right there. If you're feeling spendy, eat at BLT Prime. See a broadway show. If the Spiderman show is back on you'll probably see someone horribly injured! See La Cage, which I hear is good. Eat more pastrami at Katz's deli. Eat at McSorley's where the beers are sold in pairs. Eat at Luke's Lobster. Skip Shake Shack. Visit the Rhinelander Mansion, Ralph Lauren's store on Madison Avenue for some high class American duds. MoMA. MoMA store (there's one in SoHo for convenience). Get the ladies some bath items at Sabon (let them do the handwash thing. Even for you). Eat at Five Guys (not specifically an NYC thing, but an excellent burger). Stumptown coffee (also a west coast import, but culturally relevant). Eat more pastrami at Katz's deli. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-15-2011 9:04 AM In reply to

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

check out Lombardi's (32 Spring Street) for the best pizza you'll get anywhere - it's cheap too.

Also try the Clinton Street Baking Company (4 Clinton Street) for the Blueberry pancakes with maple butter and I can also recommend The Meatball Shop around the corner on Stanton Street if you like that kind of thing.

Katz's deli (from When Harry Met Sally is nearby if you want to check that out, as is TeaNY - a little tea shop owned by Moby)

If they are Sex and The City fans you might want to go the the Magnolia Bakery (cupcake place) which featured on the show (there are a few dotted around now I think, but the original one is on Bleecker Street)

Top of the Rock (Rockerfeller Plaza) has less queues than the Empire State Building and better views.

If you get some time without the girls then there's a great 'secret bar'/speakeasy called PDT (Please Don't Tell). You have to call for reservations at 3pm on the day you want to go (they don't take advance reservations).

Go to Crif Dogs hot dog shop on St Marks and A (East Village). It's a regular hot-dog place but once inside you'll see a phone booth to your left. Go in, pick ...up the phone and press the button, when they have confirmed you have a reservation the back wall of the booth will open to reveal the 'secret door' to PDT. Fantastic cocktail bar (try the bacon-infused whiskey!) (212) 614 0386

Might not be your cup of tea, but the Ghostbusters firehouse (hook and ladder 8) is on North Moore and Varick Street - it's a working fire station but if you ask nicely they might let you go inside where they still have the "no ghosts" logo sign from the film.

Have fun!

• 02-15-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

That's two recommendations for Katz's.

Also, try a recession special at Gray's Papaya. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-15-2011 12:36 PM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

many thanks all......and trip, is that were your name is from..trip advisor ?..lol

looking forward to it, diet cancelled, credit card cleared for take off, staying on the ave of the americas, marriott residences, so broadway is a done deal, highline sounds fab, Katz`s, will do that, and lots of other things you have all advised !

any advice on cabs from and to the airport (into jfk out newark, i think!), or just pick a yellow up at the airport ?

andym

• 02-15-2011 1:16 PM In reply to

New York is a magical place! I have visited twice once before 9/11 and a few years after! If you fancy it visit ground zero, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when I saw the twisted cross that was made from rsj's.  if you dont have a transfer to the city it will be about $50 but agree on this beforehand as they try to charge you loads! There is a restaraunt called 'B smiths' which we went to both times once was for thanksgiving.  Macys is a good store for shopping, just get yourselves out there and enjoy the magic that the city emanates! Have a great time

• 02-15-2011 1:55 PM In reply to

If you head down to ground zero, which is frankly pretty dull at this point, check out Century 21. Great shopping there. 

• 02-15-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

This thread is great!

I'm making notes for my next NYC trip, can't believe I missed the GB fire station... 

-Andreas

• 02-15-2011 4:14 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

PhilLondon:

Doctor:
    Also MoMA just to check what B&O is on display

No B&O any longer at MoMA :-(

Does Permenant collection mean somewhere in a basement gathering dust then Sad

If I ever go to NY I would love to get into the old exclusive club suit at the top of the Christler building. I actually don't think this is possible though...

I also always wanted to visit Dana Barret's building from ghostbusters, just off central park - love the art deco style architecture... Then I would nip across the road for a bite to eat at the resturaunt in Central park where the dog thing attacked Louis Tulley Big Smile That would be the big kid in me sorted!

Olly.

• 02-15-2011 5:05 PM In reply to

Step1:
    Does Permenant collection mean somewhere in a basement gathering dust then Sad

Yes (sans the dust, I should hope). Most museums have a lot more items than they could possibly display at one time, and permanent collection doesn't need to mean permanent display. Wait until some exhibition/event when these would be relevant, and they will probably be resurrected from the dungeons...

-mika

• 02-15-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

andy:

many thanks all......and trip, is that were your name is from..trip advisor ?

I found the answer on my Serenata: It had (and still has) a nice collection of music among others "Englishman in New York" by Sting.

iPoditiv, only having been in a cinema watching Blue in the Face, but not yet west of Cabo Finisterre

• 02-15-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

Not to belabor the point, but:

• 02-15-2011 6:31 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

malcolm welborn:

Hi lee

hope you have a great time in new york...

Huh?

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-15-2011 6:38 PM In reply to

Surprise

that looks a bit iffy to me.....

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >