in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2011 4:16 AM by stampfki. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2011 4:45 AM

Center Speaker Beosystem 2 MKII

Hi at all,

still finetuning my system. In the meantime I have changed the two Beolab 2500 against a B&W XTC center speaker. Fronts are Beolab 5000 and rears are Beolab 6000.

The problem with the Beolab 2500 was that they just have not enough volume to present dialogs properly. Even after recapping and changing the  OP amps to OP2134 the volume is still to less, whereas treble is very crisp and clear.

So I decided to go for the Mono Center XTC from B&W fired by a ML/MCL converter (MCL2P). Technically it works fine (excepts the annoying "plop" when switching). The thing is that the center seems to be too quiet. Is the caused by the only 30 watt per channel on the B&O converter?

Unfortuantely I cannot afford a real B&O center as the 7.1 etc :-(

BTW: Volume of the dialogs is great now but the sound is somehow more muddy - not really crisp.

The perfect solution would be the volume of the XTC combined with the clarity of the modded Beolabs 2500.

Do you think a Detoma A102 would do a better job in terms of power output and "plopping"?

Thank you very much for every tip!

BR

• 02-16-2011 4:38 AM In reply to

Re: Center Speaker Beosystem 2 MKII

Really no ideas?

• 02-16-2011 5:00 AM In reply to

How about a pair of Lab 4000s mounted side by side under the screen?

You can pick up a pair for less than £500 now if you shop around!

• 02-18-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• lano
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2010
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Hi, I'm also planning to use a MCL2P to drive a center speaker. Not delighted to hear that it sounds to low. Could this be dependent of the speakers? That the once you have requires more power but that other speaker would be fine with the MCL2P?

Is it possible to bridge a MCL2P so that you will get more power on the mono channel?
  • 02-19-2011 6:59 PM In reply to

• LC
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-23-2010
    • London
    • Posts 24
    • Silver Member

have you got your left & right speakers turned up too high in the speaker level menu?

• 03-09-2011 4:16 AM In reply to

Louis:

have you got your left & right speakers turned up too high in the speaker level menu?

Yes, I did. But on only one channel of the MCL2P it is definitely to weak. It cannot match the power of the front speakers, that's why I had to turn down those on min. level in the speaker adjusment menu.

But now I am really happy with the Beolab 4000. Ok, when you leave the stereo triangle, you suffer a bit from compfiltering, but nevertheless it is fine for the moment. Certainly, in a long term perspective I will switch for a Beolab 7.4.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)