in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-17-2011 6:31 AM by StUrrock. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2011 10:37 AM

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

The children want their own music, the iPods are taking over!

In our home we have a masterlink system which has and continues to serve us well.

However, our children are growing up and they want to use the BeoVox 1 speakers connected to a BeoLink passive kits in their rooms to play a local source. (iPods of course)

I do like the iPort solutions;

http://www.iportmusic.com/products/iw_wizard_answer.php?answer=iw-21_balancedaudio_balancedvideo

I am thinking of changing the BeoLink Passives to the new BeoLink Actives which will give the children a local input (via the PC port) for the in wall iPod docks. The only problem is how I am going to drive  the BeoVox 1s? Do you think the Kramer product below will take the Powerlink output of my actives and have enough juice to drive the BeoVox 1s?

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/products/model.asp?pid=1492&sf=147

Would welcome any comments or sugestions :)

• 02-13-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: The children want their own music, the iPods are taking over!

Keep the passives and use them as ML/MCL converters. Add in the Active Kit and then run PowerLink from the Active into the Passive. Without an eye & ML, the Passive Kit will just act as an amplifier. We do this in many installations to take advantage of the local input of the Active for things like iPod docks or AirPort Expresses, etc. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-14-2011 5:04 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Trip the passives do work well, as it was for home was trying to save a few quid/dollars :)

• 02-15-2011 3:08 AM In reply to

Depending on your sources, consider putting sonos into your kids rooms.

I've installed a bunch of "hybrid" link systems, and sonos appeals to the "ipod generation" like nothing else.

A zone player will replace the passive, and happily drive the bvox 1. 

They get local input and (subject to what else you have/how its set up) access to the original sources ....but, over and above any beo-solution they can also:

*access any other local inputs in the house

* use ipod touch /iphone as remote - with cover art etc.

* get full e.q. adjustments ( kids like this, whatever purists may say )

* stream internet radio, spotify etc

* access a central computer/nas drive media drive content.

easy to set up, not too costly and very stable.

• 02-15-2011 12:09 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Nice idea folkdeejay we have, as Trip suggested, put sonos as a global and local source in our link systema and it works like a dream.

• 02-15-2011 2:58 PM In reply to

Bit confused now.....if you've already installed it, and it works like a dream, why do you need suggestions/solutions for local inputs ?

For anyone else interested..Sonos is great when used with Beolabs too -

A while ago, I installed a system that was Beolab 4000 speakers in several rooms, all on ZP90 zones, driven by a Beosound 4 in the living room.  Even in that room, the blab4's were on a zoneplayer....th beosound providing fixed line out, not powerlink.

The reson was the wall between the kitchen and the living room was "too thick" for wireless

This was a stately home, split up into apartments - very nicely done - loads of period coving etc and NO option to use cables.

Needles to say, when i took round a wireless 1 dem kit to test, it dropped out repeatedly because there was..... a wall in the way.  

I thought it may be an issue, so we popped round to try it before specifying the system....and yes, a wall,  a 25ft iving room and a kitchen cupboard were just too much for the poor wireless 1 to cope with.  It was a brick wall, in fairness.Sad

ANyway, specified with sonos, ordered, paid for, installed...and everyone way happy.

The Beolabs/beosound looked stunning.

The customer was delighted - NO link wires, all controlled via their ipod....superb.

Also happy with the only "compromise" -ie, use close-up operation/beo4 to turn on & control the CD/DAB....but in reality, it is 95%  streamed content and internet radio that is played.  The odd Cd played, and a very occasional LP.

All that can be seen is B&O....the client essentailly bought B&O, and we specified sonos instead of Wireless 1's as infrastucture

They probably couldn't tell you the name sonos....the system is used via an app, and it all looks and sounds like B&O...so its  a B&O system...the sonos stuff is just, in effect, interconnect and software.

Such a shame there isn't an in-house B&O solution like this....it would be SO popular.

As i've said before, if a previoulsy unkown brand can do this so well,  about £300 per room ( plus speakers)  ...what are B&O up to ???

• 02-16-2011 7:27 AM In reply to

I am thinking of buying a ZP90 player.

But how to connect the Beolab 4000 to the ZP90?

How do you turn on the Beolab 4000? Is the ZP90 able to send out the signal?

• 02-16-2011 7:37 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Put the BeoLab into line mode, plug in the correct cable (available from Sounds Heavenly) then you have sound Big Smile

• 02-16-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

yep - MK1 Lab 4000 is phono to phono - easy !!  Mk2 is phono to powerlink.

The speakers will come in and out of standby as they need to - they  "see" a signal and turn on...works fine.

Bear in mind you need one sonos item hard wired to your router - which can be a zone bridge if nothing else needed in that room.

• 02-17-2011 6:31 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

folkdeejay:

Bit confused now.....if you've already installed it, and it works like a dream, why do you need suggestions/solutions for local inputs ?

Please see my first reply to Trip Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)