in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2011 9:52 AM by SHEFFIELD. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2011 9:47 AM

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Replacing an Avant with BV 7-55

A few weeks ago, I decided to enter the LCD/LED age. After a due diligence process and following a test screening at the excellent B&O dealer in my city I got closer and closer to making a jump in my decision from an initially favored 7-40 to a 7-55. The appearance of the bigger TV is "shockingly big" at first, but once you watch the picture and the great video processing even from non HD station feeds, the "top-of-the-line-thought" was seeded, rationalized by the fact that this is a longterm decision. 

The purchase decision involved a BV 7-55 without Blue Ray player (enough HDMI plugs on the TV and PUC capability allow standalone solutions), then a Beolab 7-4 and a motorized stand.

The TV was delivered on a pallet ! and very sturdy boxes - recommended to keep. Installation looks lego like despite the significant weight of both the screen and the motorized stand. I would never do the installation on my own, glad the B&O team did it.

Then the initial set up and programming of the TV was like an event leading up to the first picture experience. Viewing distance is 3.5 m (very ok !) and the setting up of the speaker options was done quickly with additional Beolabs to create an excellent sound carpet. The integration of a BS 3200 and BS5/BM5 was then a cable and plug exercise. I was surprised at the many setup options that are possible both with picture and sound, however, they are easily controlled by a good menu and an understandable setup and user guide. Control of the system is with the venerable Beo4 which allows for quick commands.

I am currently watching non HD feed mostly from digital sat receiver (external) controlled by PUC. Again, seamless installation and integration, allows for upgrading over time in a philosophy with a B&O core home system and some peripherals which can easily grow and get modernized over time (sat receiver, blue ray player) with B&O PUC integration.

Viewing TV with a BV 7 is an outstanding experience...The presence of the system in the living room is quite commanding, but it exudes quality with its combination of aluminium, glass and very elegant structures. I am glad I made the jump. The Avant will "soldier on" in a second room and continue to stand tall as the best CRT ever with still great picture and sound.

Progress in TVs will undoubtedly continue but despite its very high price as a total system, I felt that the BV 7-55 offers a very viable longterm proposition with its picture processing machine, countless setup and connection options, excellent LCD / LED screen and two separate core elements (motorized stand and BL 7-4) which will virtually be ageless.

• 02-12-2011 9:52 AM In reply to

Re: Replacing an Avant with BV 7-55

Congratulations on a wise purchase - the 7-55 is truly stunning!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)