in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2011 1:13 PM by Jez. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2011 4:29 PM

What If Bang & Olufson Made...?

Hi, I am currently involved in a project at university which involves branding in relation to a products form. It involves me designing a 'what if' concept one of which is 'What if Bang & Olufsen made Kitchenware?'

I'd like to know what kind of kitchenware B&O would design and why? Also tell me what qualities are needed in a B&O product that make it distinctively B&O? (Design,Materials, Form, Colours, Usability, Technology, Manufacture)

So, what if B&O made kitchenware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!

nmaqsood - Junior Industrial Designer 

Filed under: , ,
  • 02-08-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

Re: What If Bang & Olufson Made...?

Welcome to BeoWorld!

Interesting question... I think this should become a good thread.

To start, their longest running product is kitchenware!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-08-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Hi, 

in the past B&O products are well made without much consideration for cost!  They are as much a piece of art when turned off, they aren't afraid to do things differently.  Not much has changed today, but they have in my opinion aimed a little more mass market.  So my piece of advice would be quality over compromise!  Hope that helps

• 02-08-2011 5:18 PM In reply to

probably would be expensive, heavy, fork-knife spoon with magnet for toothpick Smile

and on the end it will look absolutely stunning Wink

and I will be the first one in the line to get it, even I know it's ridiculously expensive and not functional at all Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-08-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

Hi, here are a few random pointers....

- Their former designer Georg Jensen, has now designed kitchenware: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=georg+jensen+kitchen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1230&bih=702&tbs=shop:1&q=georg+jensen+kitchen&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=a494c57c705f04b ... and I believe a range of kitchen appliances for maybe Miele...

- There has been two emblematic designers working for B&O, that I think you need to do some research on: Georg Jensen and David Lewis (the current one)

- Georg Jensen, is well knows for its rectangular shapes, with panels of black glass and aluminium. Look at the Beosound 9000.

- The black glass panels are often touch sensitive.

- LEDs and LED displays are often used.

- Important: A red dot (LED) means the device is on standby. This is used across the range (TV, Hifi, Speakers). The Red dot button on the remote is the Standby button.

- The use of scroll-wheel/navigation wheel has been pioneered by B&O. Master Control Panel 6500, Beocom 6000, Beocom 5, Beocenter 2, and a lot more...

- Materials are of very good quality: Glass, Aluminium, and when they use plastic, it never imitates another material. Plastic is often "soft touch" (touch a Beovision 8 or a beocom 5)

- Their products are heavy, solid, and products that you can hold in your hand are well balanced. Their remote controls use rubber buttons, arranged in easy to remember way, so you can feel them and use them without looking at them.

- B&O produce their own aluminium parts as their is no other factory in the world that can process it as precisely as they do. They produce parts for BMW (for the car itself, not an audio product).

- The shape of some of the products is inspired by some other objects: Beolab 8000 = organ pipes, Beovision 10 = Painting, Beolab 11 = Tulip, Beo 1 remote... well I let you guess

- Shapes are pure and geometrical.

- The shape is designed first and then the engineer have to produce the electronic that fits inside it.

- Products are not designed to be in fashion and a design is often sold for 15 years (the electronic may evolve).

- User interface is always very simple. Buttons that are not active are dimmed. There are very few buttons as buttons have multiple functions depending of the context. (modal interface)

- Very important: There is often something "Magical" in a product that wows the user. Often it is a moving part. TV's stands turn. Glass door opens when you wave your have. Angel wing open (Beocenter 2). CD slots pop from nowhere (Beovision 7). Screen and scroll-wheel are merged (Beosound 5)... and there movements happen very silently. To achieve this silent movements, B&O produce their own plastic parts as no other factory could produce them so precisely. 

- Integration: Their products work with each other. 1 + 1 > 2

- The WAF (wife acceptance factor): Their products are often bought by men, but are designed to be accepted by their wife.

I hope that will help you.

p.

• 02-08-2011 5:39 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Try:

http://www.roesle.de/

In our house, very similar in minimalist design, quality, performance, and yes cost, for many years now.

• 02-08-2011 5:55 PM In reply to

The fork handle will respond to the heat from your hand and the tines will slowly emerge when in use and retract when placed on the table. This feature will seldom work. 

Glad I could do your homework for you. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-08-2011 6:56 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

- Their former designer Georg Jensen, has now designed kitchenware: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=georg+jensen+kitchen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1230&bih=702&tbs=shop:1&q=georg+jensen+kitchen&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=a494c57c705f04b ... and I believe a range of kitchen appliances for maybe Miele...

- There has been two emblematic designers working for B&O, that I think you need to do some research on: Georg Jensen and David Lewis (the current one)

- Georg Jensen, is well knows for its rectangular shapes, with panels of black glass and aluminium. Look at the Beosound 9000.

p.

Great ideas Phil but the former Bang and Olusen designer was Jacob Jensen.  

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-08-2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

What if:

http://stelton.com/

• 02-08-2011 9:11 PM In reply to

Beofork.

Probably be slated as too expensive, doesnt make the right sound when falling on the floor, poor value for money by the Press. Plus the exclusion of an iPod socket and HMDI would be pure criminal.

• 02-08-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

If B&O was making kitchens today, this is what they would look like:

This is currently made by Jacob Jensen, there are also products such as toasters, scales, and a beautiful kettle!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-09-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    The fork handle will respond to the heat from your hand and the tines will slowly emerge when in use and retract when placed on the table. This feature will seldom work. 

That's why everybody uses an iPad to scoop up their chow. Cheaper and works so much better.

TripEnglish:
    Glad I could do your homework for you. 

Wink

Spelling the name correctly will also improve the grade.

-mika

• 02-09-2011 5:18 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

The fork handle will respond to the heat from your hand and the tines will slowly emerge when in use and retract when placed on the table.

Surely this would be dangerous !!!

The tines could emerge before use - no problem.....but in use would be an issue - you could stab yourself Huh?

• 02-09-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

frozen pizza

• 02-09-2011 6:42 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Chrisreunion:

If B&O was making kitchens today, this is what they would look like:

This is currently made by Jacob Jensen, there are also products such as toasters, scales, and a beautiful kettle!

Yes, I think so too. I had the chance to "play"  with this kitchen (Kitchen 1).  It`s really great and very Beoish...with illuminated drawers, a built in control panel for a 3 zones light system with footlight, worklight and roomlight (ceiling). As far as I remember you can also control your AV system. And it had an LCD screen, built into a front door. My favourite kitchen.....

http://www.lifa-design.dk/Default.aspx?ID=3594

Stefan.

• 02-09-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

folkdeejay:

TripEnglish:

The fork handle will respond to the heat from your hand and the tines will slowly emerge when in use and retract when placed on the table.

Surely this would be dangerous !!!

The tines could emerge before use - no problem.....but in use would be an issue - you could stab yourself Huh?

Imagine accidently sitting on it Surprise

Olly.

• 02-09-2011 11:03 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

linder:

PhilLondon:

p.

Great ideas Phil but the former Bang and Olusen designer was Jacob Jensen.  

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/

Isn't the designer of the Beosound 9000 spelled  "D-A-V-I-D  L-E-W-I-S"  Big Smile

Jensen (Jacob) did the BeoCenter 9000.

Stan

• 02-09-2011 11:49 AM In reply to

Ok...Ok... guys, let's say I was really tired...

• 02-09-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Nasatron:

Hi, I am currently involved in a project at university which involves branding in relation to a products form. It involves me designing a 'what if' concept one of which is 'What if Bang & Olufsen made Kitchenware?'

I'd like to know what kind of kitchenware B&O would design and why? Also tell me what qualities are needed in a B&O product that make it distinctively B&O? (Design,Materials, Form, Colours, Usability, Technology, Manufacture)

So, what if B&O made kitchenware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!

nmaqsood - Junior Industrial Designer 

David Lewis has designed for Electrolux and Elica kitchen appliances so in a way B&O already has.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)