in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2011 2:56 AM by nmartin771. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2011 6:10 AM

Name your most dynamic song [H]

Whatever genre ...

Let's fun begin Smile

I will tell you mine latter Wink

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-08-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

Re: Name your most dynamic song

Telegraph Road, Dire Straits

-mika

• 02-08-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

Re: Name your most dynamic song [H]

nmartin771:

Whatever genre ...

Let's fun begin Smile

I will tell you mine latter Wink

For low-frequency tested, I recommend:

1. Nils Petter Molvaer, album: "Khmer", track 2: "Tlon"  (after 2:40 min)

2. Mercan Dede,  album: "Nefes", track 6: "Zefir"   (Real earthquake, subsonic!)

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 02-08-2011 6:55 AM In reply to

God Hates Us by Avenged Sevenfold, Nightmare album. From silent clean guitars to death metal in a second.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 02-08-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• PHYSIS
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • HUNGARY/ITALY
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Fred Bigot :  Hot Spectrum ; Disco Pillow ; I Love You So

Plastikman : Ask Yourself

Lustmord : The Ambient Abyss ; Black Star ; Deep Calls To Deep

:Zoviet * France : On The Edge Of A Grain Of Sand (Between 1:24 & 1:33 mostly...)

• 02-08-2011 6:00 PM In reply to

Back in the day, when installing BIG speakers for a living in literally hundreds of living rooms, we had our trusty DJ flight case of LP's we knew would be a "control" for positioning, tweaking and making sure the system was installed as well as it could be.

Amongst these reference tracks, a favourite track of mine was Wholly Humble Heart by Martin Stephenson & the Daintees

Superb production - It sounds spectacular on big speakers like Penta's - really shows their depth and spacial quality ....also fine though Linn isobariks, Naim SBL's   etc etc.  Find it on his excellent album Gladsome, Humour and Blue.

Also liked to play the albums below - all well recorded, dynamic and musically satisfying LP's - It was good to play these  in houses where they would be an unknown genre, and hopefully  an introdution to new music, to go with the new hi-fi... 

Typically "Who is that, where can I buy it  ??" was the question - which showed us the Hi-Fi was doing its job -- ie, playing music in a believable/engrossing manner.

Albums included :

Steve Earle, Guitar Town - one of the fist DDD releases I think, but still OK despite that.

Johhny Clegg and Savuka - Shadow Man. (Sounds a tiny bit 80's now - the keyboards I think -  listened to it on my Beogram last week)

Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs

Martin Simpson - Sad or high Kicking

June Tabor - A Cut above

Al Green - Lets Stay Together

Hildegard of Bingen - Gothi Voices ( Emma Kirby)

J C Mellancamp - Scarecrow

Kevin McDermot Orchestra - Mother Natures kitchen.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying

Solomon Burke - A Change is gonna come.

All of the above are well worth owning.

• 02-09-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

war pigs- black sabbath

what difference does it make- the smiths

i started something- the smiths

four seasons -berlin philharmonic/nigel kennedy

baba o'reilly- the who

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 02-10-2011 5:25 AM In reply to

First I will go with one hit, big hit....

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 04-09-2011 2:48 PM In reply to

One more, relatively new :

Massive Attack - Atlas Air

• 04-09-2011 3:13 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Alright now - Free from the 70's

Also The Jean Genie - Bowie  1972

just been on Vintage tv on the astra 28' satellite(freesat)

Powerfull, brought back lots of happy memories!

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 04-09-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

One of the first albums I ever bought was the abum Fox by Fox.

A friend of my parents had a B&O HiFi - I can't for the life of me remember which one, but it was the wood with black keys that were like a thin flat sheet of black metal with thin slits between each button. The turntable had a platter with about little 6 rubber buttons to place the record on and a pick up arm that was so thin and pointy I'd never seen anything like it.

I listend to his Fox album on that and was blown away. Being an impressionable lad - all of about 12/13 I went out and bought the album (record) for myself and hoped it would sound as fantastic on my parents TEAC when I got home - It did't  - and I vowed there and then that as soon as I had a job and my own money I would have a B&O. So when I got my first job, I was in Harrods on a weekend shopping trip and the Beosystem 4500 was being launched.

I came back to Exeter, checked my savings and ordered the complete 4500 system (Beomaster, Beocord, Beogram-CD & Beogram), and Beolab Pentas. Fortunately they were doing interest free and with my deposit I could just about afford it if I didn't eat, and at 21 who wants to eat? When it arrived and was set up, I dug out my old scratched Fox album, placed it on the BeoGram 4500 and boy did it sound good.

Every time I try a new system I take that album with (in CD format now), and this year I replaced the 4500 with a Beosound 9000.

The tracks that do it for me are "He's got magic" and "Only you can". They have an awful lot to answer for :o)

I also think that Hiroshima by Sandra is stunning to listen to. Sandra is the vocal on the albums by Enigma.

Stoobie

• 04-10-2011 3:32 AM In reply to

The king of darkness Ozzy Osbourn with the beautiful song - DreamerSmile

• 04-10-2011 7:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Got loads of music which is musically dynamic, but sonically flat.

The Mars Volta - 'Frances The Mute' for instance, could sound so much better if it's dynamic range wasn't mashed (it's RMS is -5dB in places), even though the music is very dynamic. Shame really. There are loads of examples of music like this!

Music which has a BIG dynamic range is really, really hard to come by nowadays with ever decreasing dynamic levels at the mastering stage. It doesn't make a huge deal of difference if the dynamic level goes up from f to fff if it's just going to hit a limiter and only go up 1dB.

My benchmark album in terms of dynamic range is Fleetwood Mac's Rumours - absolutely stunning sounding record. 18dB of dynamic range between the highest peaks and the RMS level in most places! I think about the loudest it ever gets is -12dB RMS at the end of the chain, which is the loudest part of the album. The whole album just sounds amazing when you turn it right up! Not fatiguing in the slightest but the drums are so big and punchy...

I usually prefer listening on vinyl partly because of the increased dynamic range of most vinyl masters. Vinyl itself has a smaller dynamic range than CD potentially can, but CD allows you to push the RMS levels much higher as the medium itself doesn't distort. Vinyl will start showing all sorts of issues which you push it higher than ~-10dB of range, which means the album can't be mastered too loud when transferring across to vinyl.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-10-2011 8:50 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

No contest here.........

"I'm in the Mood for Dancing" by the The Nolans!

All together now........."Ooh Ooh Ooh ........Ooh Ooh Ooh.......Ooh Ooh Ooh......Oooh - Yeah!"

Whistle

• 04-11-2011 4:15 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Dark side of the moon (vinyl album), 180 gram pressing, 30th Anniversary edition. Now to choose a song...

Nothing I have played comes close.

beoaus.

• 04-11-2011 6:21 AM In reply to

beoaus:
    Dark side of the moon (vinyl album)

Agree.

I bought a vinyl circa 1975...... fantastic music. Smile

Unfortunately I then went on to make the mistake of buying a Pink Floyd double album which turned out to be all the unsuccessful rubbish they'd created before Dark Side! Sad

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 04-11-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

DSOTM is actually quite restrained compared to the absolutely best recordings out there for dynamics. It's worth being aware that remasters and more recent releases don't tell the original story, though.

Here's a comparison between the CD-layer and the SACD-layers of the 2003 Capitol release:

Harvest by Neil Young is quite good if you want exceptionally well done dynamics:

And if you like R&B,Thelma Houston's got the sound:

Things to watch out for. The Who from the 1985 CD-release, and then how it's been ruined for the 2010 Deluxe Release version superduper overcompressed, etc.

• 04-11-2011 7:44 AM In reply to

Interesting story Stoobie,

I was remember my first blown away song, that was ages ago and my friend played me on his dad's Technics hi-fi Enigma - Sadness ... wow that was wow I was blown away and I will remember that for life ... like everybody of us remember "FIRST" time Wink

Second song was at my other friend brand new SONY system and it was Sting - Englishman in NY...

• 04-11-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

Soundproof can you explain for us how to look at those graphics's ?

• 04-11-2011 8:10 AM In reply to

A Swedish Audio Society have created free software that will help you check your music, to see how it's been mastered. What the graphs show, is how much headroom for dynamic span there is in the music, between the softest and the most powerful portions. If everything's been compressed and pushed to the ceiling (solid black bars), then there are no dynamics and everything's at an even, loud drone.

When there is "room to breathe" and telling differences between the narrowest and widest portions of the track, then we can assume that the music will sound more lifelike and similar to authentic music.

Explained in detail here, and with a download link to the software (PC).

http://www.lts.a.se/lts/masvis

• 04-11-2011 9:26 AM In reply to

First listen to:

the roots of coincident -  from the album Imaginary Day - Pat Metheny Group

before name another dynamic song; also one of the best song tittles 

• 04-11-2011 9:42 AM In reply to

Forgive me for being thick, but what do the figures for DSOTM mean. To these uncultured eyes, it would appear the CD side is more dynamic than the SACD side, or am I completely wrong? I do know that the vinyl version of the 30th anniversary edition sounded better than the CD of the same album - it seemed more dynamic. The CD sounds flat though obviously the background noise is better.

• 04-11-2011 9:56 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Forgive me for being thick, but what do the figures for DSOTM mean

Dark Side of The Moon! The album's title.

• 04-11-2011 10:02 AM In reply to

Another remark:

it is impossible to speak of 96kHz 24bit of a SACD format. It seems the DSD format is converted to a LPCM first! So is this a objective comparison?

Note: most SACD conversions to LPCM conversions are done at 88,2 or 176,4 kHz because of the characteristics of this format. 

• 04-11-2011 11:36 AM In reply to

Kokomo:

Forgive me for being thick, but what do the figures for DSOTM mean

Dark Side of The Moon! The album's title.

Big Smile Not that thick! I meant the dB figures! It would appear the CD has a slightly wider dynamic range - which is counter intuitive. But I may well be interpreting the figures wrongly. I have many recordings of this album including the mobile fidelity version.

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >