in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2011 2:05 PM by TripEnglish. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2011 6:26 AM

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

The case for having a spare router modem

We are all so dependent on routers now in order to gain access to our digital music, so when your router goes down the music stops!! They are of course as a general rule very reliable.

Last night, at closing time, a client of ours was in a panic as she could not play her music stored on her NAS and she had a party starting at 8pm. We closed the store at 5.30 and paid her a visit to find out the router had packed in.

We returned to the store and took back the showroom router and got all the music and internet up and running by 7pm. Had to stay for a bit of the party!

Moral of the story;

Consider buying 2 routers with both of them pre configured and keep one as a spare. Then if one breaks you have a spare and can be up and running within minutes.

Why have your £5000 or more system stop working, when for the price of a spare router (£50-£150) you will have more reliability and piece of mind? Also all your computers will continue to function!

• 02-06-2011 6:32 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: The case for having a spare router modem

I can vouch to this, broadband/wifi routers are almost all crap, or seem to be! I know I've bought two of them as a student!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-06-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Not a bad idea!

But I would check the power supply before throwing old routers away - these are often the culprit, and you can get universal adaptors quite cheaply!

• 02-06-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

I'd take it a step further and have an identical system waiting in the cellar in case anything goes wrong. So far response to this idea has been luke warm. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-06-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

I'd take it a step further and have an identical system waiting in the cellar in case anything goes wrong. So far response to this idea has been luke warm. 

You are right Trip, if I can try and get to the inner meaning/sarcasm/irony/mockery of your message, were do we stop. 

The point was that a relatively cheap piece of kit is responsible for the correct operation of many cruicial items on a network  PCs, CCTV, NAS the list goes on.

A similar approach is taken with the use of UPS, although your reply to that would probably be along the lines of "Why don't you go the whole hog and build a power station next door."

So far my response to your posting is distinctly frosty! ;)

• 02-06-2011 1:19 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I have to say the only router that ever failed on me was a WAG200g - and this I am 99% certain BT somehow blocked as for a start a bloke had been working on the telephone line a day before and also I had to get a BT approved router to guarantee it would work!

I agree above the Power supply would be the first thing I would substitue!

Olly.

• 02-06-2011 1:44 PM In reply to

I've never had one go wrong. I only changed when I went back to BT and they insisted on sending me the new home hub. I've still got my old DSL2740B as a backup but have not needed it.

Once I got a rogue ADSL filter identified and sorted I have been very happy with the BT Home Hub.

The BT helpsystem........now that is another matter!!

Regards Graham

• 02-06-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

Most Zyxel P660 series routers (incl. mine) have a nice habit of momentarily dropping the ethernet connections every now and then after they get to be a couple of years old. If you only use the wireless or just browse the web you might not notice it.

-mika

• 02-06-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

I was just being glib. 

I think that it's a good idea and any dealer that does larger installations knows that it's the $50 box that brings down the whole system. We routinely leave a router, baluns, and an extra booted cable box on larger job sites. Each project calls for its own redundancies, but these cheap accessory devices will ultimately crap out with irritating frequency and this makes service calls or even walking a house manager through a swap much easier. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)