in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2011 8:46 AM by soundproof. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2011 2:49 AM

How do you see yourself listening to music in the future?

A poll seemed to be needed! Apologies to the first voters - I made this sticky and it wiped the poll!

How will you listen to your music collection?

B&O are discontinuing production of the BeoSound 9000, 3200 and 1 in the next few months. This leaves the BeoCenter 2, a single disc DVD player, or the BeoSound 4 as the only disc based music players. If you are in the market for a music system, what will you buy?

• I will buy a BC2 or BS4 to act as a centre for my system. (8.1%)
    • I will buy a BeoSound 5 - digital is the future. (20.9%)
    • I will use the disc player in my BeoVision. (0%)
    • I will use my computer and a BeoPort (5.8%)
    • I will use my MP3 player as a source. (4.7%)
    • I stream all my music so I don't need a disc player. (10.5%)
    • I will buy used products instead. (32.6%)
    • I will use my computer and third party equipment - i.e. Airport (15.1%)
    • I will no longer buy B&O (2.3%)
    • Total Votes: 86
  • 02-05-2011 4:30 AM In reply to

Re: How do you see yourself listening to music in the future?

You may need to review your choices - the questions have changed places!!! Embarrassed

• 02-05-2011 5:01 AM In reply to

I cannot seem to find how to change my previous vote!! How can i change this?

-Dimitris

• 02-05-2011 5:02 AM In reply to

Hi Peter - Good poll.

However, could I suggest an obvious omission in future options,   I have a line output from a computer that gets onto my Beolink through an aux, and so can listen  to Itunes / spotify / iplayer etc etc in the bath/garden/kitchen etc .

BUT - I don't feel the need for a Beoport  - long playlists on shuffle, or a specific radio programme are fine to just "send" to the B&O kit, and I'm sure many others will do just that - ie, "listen" to a computer output , but with no beo-control.

Also, I don't see new digital media as exclusively replacing by Bsnd9000 for CD's, or my bepgram for LP's ( having about 4500 "hard copies across cd and LP formats) but MOST of my "casual" background listening is via spotify, or the bbc website.

As I understand it, using a CD in a computer via Bsnd 5 is cumbersome and with little feedback ...you really have to load it into a media player ...shame.

Currently working through old editions of "In Our Time" on iplayer when in the bath :-)

So maybe you need a category along the lines of

"In future I will stream music online, and use my Beolink/Beolabs/Beovision to enjoy optimum sound quality, whilst retaining my "hard" copies on CD/LP"

AND before anyone mentions it, I know "Optimum Sound Quality" and streamed music aren't always possible - but via Beolabs, its still better than not through beolabs, and hearing a spotify playlist in the garden is a time of deep joy, for some reason....

That said, last week I got four shiny new LP's from the excellent properganda website - stunning artwork, stunning sound!!!

• 02-05-2011 5:19 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Oh, great. Now I apparently voted "use my computer and a beoport".

Bad form, changing the poll questions like that.

• 02-05-2011 5:52 AM In reply to

On the Bahama's :-) :-)
  • 02-05-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

beoeric:
    On the Bahama's :-) :-)

LaughingLaughingLaughing Great to have the poll back! Yes -  thumbs up Anyway, airport for now, might get A Beosound 5 / Encore or another digital B&O product in the future.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 02-05-2011 7:34 AM In reply to

in front of a mirrorDevil

• 02-05-2011 7:48 AM In reply to

Hey Beocool. What is your current set up. 

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Where is my set up going to be in the future and how will I be playing music in 5 years. The Beosound Encore seems like the best option but the price and lack of support worries me at this time. Waiting game for me!

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-05-2011 8:06 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I thought the real answer was you can't, because the future hasn't happened yet Stick out tongue

Carolpa:

in front of a mirrorDevil

But seriously second hand, for the short term!!!

Olly.

• 02-05-2011 8:37 AM In reply to

TheMajor:

Hey Beocool. What is your current set up. 

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Where is my set up going to be in the future and how will I be playing music in 5 years. The Beosound Encore seems like the best option but the price and lack of support worries me at this time. Waiting game for me!

I have a Beosystem 7000. I have yet to connect it to the Airport. I will do this once I get my new apartment. I agree with you on the Encore.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 02-05-2011 8:37 AM In reply to

Still for us the ''first voters'' it is not possible to alter our vote, or vote again…Pity

-Dimitris

• 02-05-2011 9:11 AM In reply to

My fault! Sorry - I was trying to make it sticky and it wiped the poll. When I re-did it, it put the previous votes in! The3 first few questions were the same but I couldn't remember the whole thing! Apologies. If anyone would like me to vote for them, I can!

• 02-05-2011 9:12 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I was the first to vote and now that the order has changed..it is SO not what I would vote for!! Huff!!!!! At least the voting is going the way I would want it to go.

Durban South Africa

• 02-05-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This is interesting!

I myself like to have all available sources at hand for some reason. Using several setups and mediums, it is very hard to picture myself using a single source.

I do use my iPod more than anything. I use it for my own music of course but also the streaming of n.radio.

I will always have a disc player. Especially for DVDs. Having to rely on buffeting streams and low res files from an Ethernet cable frightens me.

Evan

• 02-05-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

Probably a vintage tube amp system -  I seem to be moving backwards in time.

• 02-05-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Eugene:
    I seem to be moving backwards in time.
    "back to the future" ????

• 02-05-2011 8:32 PM In reply to

So long as I can plug my iPod into that old thing when Im done with it.

• 02-06-2011 5:47 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I like this subject, as I often discuss it with friends, family and people I meet in my job. It's hard to predict the future, and I can't wait to see what B&O comes up with. I love my BS9000, but I find it hard to imagine all-digital products having the same wow factor, as there will be no need for mechanical solutions. I enjoy my CD collection a lot, and although I have a big iTunes library, and I use my iPod/iPhone a lot when on the go, I prefer CDs when at home.

• 02-06-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard Server. This is going to sit on my fast broadband connection and become the hub for, frankly, everything. I've had a rev.1 PPC Mac Mini running 24/7 without any issues, since 2004. Time for an upgrade.

The advantages are numerous. Huge storage for my collection of audio tracks, it can distribute audio to any speaker through Airport Express through the home, can be controlled via an iPhone/iPad or computer, plus I can access my tracks remotely, from another location.

On top of this, I can use this Mac Mini as a file server, use it to push data to our remote servers, overnight, can use it to handle my email, connect to a TV and much much more.

What's not to like? :)

• 02-06-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Well, it was made made in an environmental disater zone, at near slave wages, by an uber-corporation that is, like several others, becoming uncontrollably powerful and almost above/beyond the "law" as we know it....

Devil

runs away to hide.....

• 02-06-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Denmark? I'd have never guessed.

• 02-06-2011 7:03 PM In reply to

moxxey:

What is the world's fastest growing religion? It starts with an "A"... Whistle

"Kneel before Mr. Jobs" Devil

• 02-07-2011 5:39 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Hi

Got a BS4 which when upgraded sw wise 8gb sd cards will be used to store all music then I can use the sd's in my Creative Zen whilst on the move or feed it thro the BC2 on another smaill linked system(my house is totally unfriendly re a fully linked system{open plan, tiled floors etc concrete walls})

Tony 

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 02-07-2011 5:39 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Hi

Got a BS4 which when upgraded sw wise 8gb sd cards will be used to store all music then I can use the sd's in my Creative Zen whilst on the move or feed it thro the BC2 on another smaill linked system(my house is totally unfriendly re a fully linked system{open plan, tiled floors etc concrete walls})

Tony 

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >