in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2011 6:27 AM by Step1. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2011 6:08 AM

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Glass panels on Beocenter 9500

Hi

Can anyone point me to a previous thread or give me idiot proof instuctions on ( I am completely DIY inept, but think I should just about be able to manage this given some clear direction! Unsure )

a) what to clean the old glue off with, without damaging the markings on the glass panels.

b) once cleaned off is it best to use double sided tape or glue, and where can you get  said tape or glue?

Cheers

Nigel

• 02-02-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: Glass panels on Beocenter 9500

Hi Nigel I just removed the loose foam with my finger and applied some of that gel like super glue straight to the remnants of the old sticky tape - I started by gluing both end pieces on firmly, then when happy that the ends were secure, using store cards as spacers I glued the middle pieces in.

You must get all the pieces in the correct orientation i.e. the piece with the retaining nut on the correct side (left from above) and the middle piece with the panel screw gaps on the top, which might be the bottom or top depending which way you flip the panel when glueing!

The only thing to watch out for is that I hadn't realised the bottom bevelled edge is not coated in paint for some reason, and in a couple of places I had applied too much glue and this is just visible and occasionally catches the eye (mostly if you know about it). If I do another one I will make sure to paint this bevel and be a little more exact with glue application!

I didn't apply foam (available here) because I thought the recommended stuff was too thick (as does another member here) so the panels might protrude more than they should beyond the plastic supports. I guess this is the proper way of doing things though and a personal choice!

I also didn't want to subject the underside of the glass panel to undue wear or use chemicals as I was afraid of loosing some of the conductive coatings or scratching the paint.

Olly.

• 02-02-2011 4:20 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Hi Olly

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I told you it needed to be idiot proof and you've just about succeeded - however I have a couple of questions...

I understand completely about the positioning of the plastic spacers. Do you glue these onto the beocenter itself? - I can't see any evidence (no glue or tape residue) of how they were fixed into place before.

Also I'm missing the small screw you refer to in the left hand spacer and also (I'm presuming) the metal insert that goes into the hole on the bottom part of the Beocenter that the screw threads into. If they're glued into position do you think it will matter if the screw is missing? Out of interest do you know why there's only one screw in only one of the spacers?

I think I'll opt for the tape to attach the glass to the spacers - do you know if the tape you gave me a link to is the same width as the tape that was originally used?

Sorry to be a pain but I want to get this right! I've been given the Beocenter for free and the only other issue with it is that it's missing it's CD door motor so hopefully I can get it fully sorted very cheaply!

Cheers

Nigel 

• 02-03-2011 4:33 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

h1npw:
    I understand completely about the positioning of the plastic spacers. Do you glue these onto the beocenter itself? - I can't see any evidence (no glue or tape residue) of how they were fixed into place before.

Nothing should be stuck to the beocentre. The frames should be stuck to the glass panel, with the 'locking frame' (the one with the nut) on the left hand side when looking from the front. When you come to install the newly glued glass panel it is dropped offset to the right slightly and then you slide the assembly to the left, which effectivly clamps the assembly down - try locking one of the frame pieces in place before sticking them to see what I mean..

The threaded screw is then inserted underneath on the left hand side and this then locks the whole panel in place.

h1npw:
    Also I'm missing the small screw you refer to in the left hand spacer and also (I'm presuming) the metal insert that goes into the hole on the bottom part of the Beocenter that the screw threads into. If they're glued into position do you think it will matter if the screw is missing? Out of interest do you know why there's only one screw in only one of the spacers?

I think I have answered that above. A suitable screw and nut will be found at somewhere like Maplin or perhaps a hardware shop, I cannot tell you the length or thread size right now. I have to repeat nothing must be glued to the Beocentre, you may need to access this area in the future!

h1npw:
    I think I'll opt for the tape to attach the glass to the spacers - do you know if the tape you gave me a link to is the same width as the tape that was originally used?

This is the tape others use and recomend so I cannot see any problems!

h1npw:
    Sorry to be a pain but I want to get this right! I've been given the Beocenter for free and the only other issue with it is that it's missing it's CD door motor so hopefully I can get it fully sorted very cheaply!

Your not being a pain I think it is safe to say that any question goes here I think people on these forums just want to see these hifis looked after!

I did wonder why someone wanted a motor!

Olly.

• 02-03-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Many thanks Olly

Absolutely clear now!

When I first posted I didn't realise my top glass panel was also loose! having lifted that one out I can see the screw in it, so it won't be difficult getting a replacement - also didn't realise it was inserted from underneath! (told you I was DIY inept!!)

It does seem very odd that someone should butcher one of these just for a small motor - especially as my dealer tells me the part is still available Big Smile

Many thanks again

Love your avatar BTW!

Cheers

Nigel 

• 02-03-2011 6:27 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

You know I am kicking myself right now - sorry you had all the answers in the top panel and i should have said that, couldn't see wood for trees Embarrassed

Anyway glad B&O can supply the motor, that's reasuring :)

Oh and the avatar - I think I have a Beofan in the making!

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)