in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-05-2011 9:03 PM by Michael. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-01-2011 8:03 PM

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 8 & Airport Express problems

I bought the Beosound 8 to replace my Bose, the Beosound works great with my IPhone and IPad, sounds very crisp, but when i attach the Airport Express the sound disorts the base, I've tried it via lan (Cat 5) and wireless. Also there is a hum or very high pitched electric noise from the Beosound (drops a tone when you turn it off) but only when nothing is plugged in the apple connector?

Tonight i will try streaming itunes directly to my IPhone via Airfoil speaker app, see if it makes a difference.
    Has anyone else had problems with the Airport Express, I have 2 and both are the same. Oh and all works fine with the old Bose setup, doesnt distort the base at all?? 
    Thanks all TC.

Update: I have been looking at some websites, and some reccommend using a DAC to convert the Airport Express digital audio source to analog?? anyone care to shed some light. It seems a shame thae the Beosound 8 doesnt have a digital input :-(

• 02-01-2011 10:38 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 & Airport Express problems

The dock connector is taking the digital signal directly from a different set of pins and using the internal DAC. The aux input is analog in so the Airport Express is being input differently. You'll get the best result from direct docking. 

If you want to get the best quality from your collection though, you might look into a BeoSound 5. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-02-2011 1:06 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. The reason i got the Beosound 8 is we are renovating our house so all the B&O gear is packed up and will be for the next 3 months, which is why I got the Beo8 for the interim, and using the Airport Express to stream music from my PC, I got too much stuff to put it all on my IPhone etc.

• 02-02-2011 1:57 AM In reply to

Surely you can only enjoy one song at a time?

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-02-2011 2:09 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Yeh, i know i'll keep replaying one song.....

Anyway, back to the problem at hand, has anyone tried the BeoSound 8 with the Airport Express?? Do you notice any distortion in the bass?

Cheers TC

• 02-02-2011 3:17 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

TC,

Have you done the recent update to itunes which allows airplay from your computer?  Ie can you stream from your computer to your docked iphone?  I haven't tried one with an airport express, but i find when i use airport express with even my beolab 4's that it has a hum, but they still sound pretty good.

Just trying to offer an alternative.

Cheers

MH

• 02-04-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

"Anyway, back to the problem at hand, has anyone tried the BeoSound 8 with the Airport Express?? Do you notice any distortion in the bass?"

I have tried and had good result. Seems odd though that your other dock works ok with the same signal.

Have you tried connecting iphone into the 3.5mm plug where you have airport express now? Just to narrow down the fault... If you have too loud signal going into BS8 it will distort - I have tried that with PowerLink to RCA cable.
  • 02-04-2011 10:16 PM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Yep, I have tried the IPhone in the  Aux socket and it plays fine, but i like your suggestion about the volume of the output i will try lowering it on the IPhone and try that. As to the Airport Express I think the output is possible too strong for the Beosound 8, I know that B&O are looking into this as they have had other units with the same problem. Hmmm maybe I will also try lowering the volume in ITunes and try the Express again. I'll let you know?
    Cheers TC

• 02-05-2011 7:00 AM In reply to

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem and I found that I have an excellent sound when putting the volume level from iTunes to the 2/3.

Then the sound streamed through Airplay is perfect with no distorsion, even at very high level.

• 02-05-2011 8:14 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

MH, 

I think Airport Express to Lab 4 is a great idea.  Are your speakers Lab 4 PC or regular?  When your Airport Express is inactive, do the speakers go to sleep?  

Thanks

• 02-05-2011 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi

Do as Beonoit describes for now...New software for BS8 should have solved this problem already.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 02-05-2011 9:03 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

symmes:

MH, 

I think Airport Express to Lab 4 is a great idea.  Are your speakers Lab 4 PC or regular?  When your Airport Express is inactive, do the speakers go to sleep?  

Thanks

G'day Symmes,

The Lab 4 speakers are PC version.  In fact, I was the lucky winner a few months back from this site.  I find that when i plug them in to a line in from either the apple dock (iphone or ipod dock) that i lose the volume control of the idevice and it's just nuts loud.  

In answer to your question, there is a switch on the lab 4 in the base that you can have them always on or based on line signal.  If they are on line signal, and there is no sound signal to the AE, then they go to stand by.  Once you start up a source they are off and running again with a very short delay. 

MH

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)