in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-01-2011 4:35 PM by Nickyg63. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2011 6:14 AM

Avant on ebay with low service counters

Just seen this - a good idea to buy?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-O-Bang-Olufsen-BeoVision-Avant-28-DVD-Real-Flat-/170596362090?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item27b855e76a

he lives quite close and the service counters are low. Just a question to anyone who had one of these. I have a Samsung Virgin box which is not listed on Avants, would it still work on there? Would the Samsung virgin box work on a BeoVision3

Filed under: ,
  • 01-30-2011 7:26 AM In reply to

Re: Avant on ebay with low service counters

Bit stingy not to inclue the remote! You cannot work this set without it. If the box is not listed, it will not work. There are software updates but I don't know if they include this box. The BV3 is essentially the same as an Avant so will be the same.

Interesting set of figures. A little younger than mine though video days are much the same. Interestinly, although the DVD has not been used, the mechanism has been opened and closed more than the one I have which has been used quite a bit!!! Big Smile Clearly everyone plays with the buttons!

Clearly a bargain price at present. Watch your back lifting it though! A Beo5 would be able to be programmed to work the Virgin box if there is no suitable software.

• 01-30-2011 7:45 AM In reply to

Doctor,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes a bit stingy for the remote, I would have the option to buy the remote off him or I would have to get one off ebay - there seems to be new ones for £100. Re: the virgin box - I am a little confused here. If it is not listed, does that mean it will not work at all with the TV (therefore I need a new set top box) or just not work with the IR module which you can buy. The Samsung box is a new one and I don't have any info on it from the net so I am doubting I can get software update - not sure I could be bothered to do this anyway.

Joss

• 01-30-2011 7:54 AM In reply to

It will work fine but most boxes can be controlled via the TV so you only need one remote. Obviously you can continue to use the Samsung remote to change channels. I just had a look on my Avant and could not find a Virgin box.

• 01-30-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

Doctor

Thanks again for the information. If it will work but I need to still use the other remote then so be it. It is tempting so lets see how the auction goes.

Now after a day of looking around I think I will try to buy a Beovision 3 so that I can have STB below it, it makes more sense. No Beovision 3's on ebay at present (in my area) so will have to wait.

Thanks again for the info Doctor

Joss

Filed under: , ,
  • 01-31-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

The avant looks like  good buy to me.

A BV3 is no more or less compatible with virgin than this avant - it all depends on the software in the TV - which is easily upgraded - maybe £75 - £100 by a dealer, or you MAY be abe to fit the new eeprom yourself if you can buy one over the counter, or via ebay -  care and caution are needed in a TV though - lots of voltage around that cab hurt you - and you could break the TV if you do something wrong.

BUt it's a failry simple IC swap - takes about 15 - 20  minutes all in, if your used to doing it.

Also - I seem to recall that the DAYS counters are actually multiples of 24 - so watching 10 x 2 hour films would not show as 1 - as its only 20 hours - so, 22 films, the counter will show 1 day ( ie 24 hours)  ETC.

Flat DVD avant is a superb buy nowadays if you have space.  The picture via SKY/BT/freesat digiboxes leaves most flat panels looking rather sad - even now, years after production ended.

• 01-31-2011 6:20 AM In reply to

Thank you for the good advice. These forums are very helpful. I think my choice will be down to the issue of space so a BV3 will be more appropriate despite the Avant being the more expensive TV (I don't want to say better).

It is amazing what you can pick up these days, there are two other B&O TV's on ebay in my area, one at starting £25 and one at £5 - the latter being low usage. But they are not widescreen so I will continue to wait to see what turns up - thats half the fun of it.

Joss

• 01-31-2011 8:32 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

When I last checked the Virgin box was on the latest STB list. At some point I need to upgrade the chip in my BV3-32 as I have Virgin box. Obviously at the moment I have no way of controlling it with my Beo4. When I do get round to changing the chip I will do it myself. Did the one in my Avant myself and it took my about 20 mins from start to finish.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-31-2011 8:59 AM In reply to

The only thing I would add is that although the BV3-32 and Avant 32 are eseentially the same set, the Avant 28 and BV3-28 are very different with the specification of the Avant being much higher. I particular, the sound is much more basic on the BV3.

• 01-31-2011 3:05 PM In reply to

Craig,

That is good to know, my Virgin box is a fairly crappy Samsung one so may change that as well (but stay with virgin) but I would be interested if you do go ahead with upgrading your chip. But I have a question then, there are quite a few types of Virgin boxes, ie Samsung, Pace, Scientific Explorer, so will the chip cover some or all of them? 

So if I go ahead with getting a BV3 I will contact you again if this is alright? Ask for instructions etc..

• 01-31-2011 3:08 PM In reply to

Doctor,

You are the bearer of bad news as it is the 28" one I would get. However despite the 28" being less good I presume it would be better than most.

• 01-31-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Josswellstead:

Craig,But I have a question then, there are quite a few types of Virgin boxes, ie Samsung, Pace, Scientific Explorer, so will the chip cover some or all of them? 

That is a very good question. It may be the same a SKY boxes. There are several diffrent makes, but they all use the same remote and I.R. codes.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-31-2011 5:08 PM In reply to

The BV3-28 is based on the MX. It has two full range speakers, one for each channel - frequency response 85 - 20,000Hz - max level 94dB  . The 3-32 has tweeters and woofers for each channel - frequency response 55-20,000 Hz - max level 96dB (remember the dB scale is logarithmic - 2 is a lot!) . The 3-32 essentially has active speakers and can be compared to at least the Beolab 2500 speakers. The 3-28 is a good normal TV. Don't pay over the odds for a BV3 though! They are now really very cheap!

• 01-31-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Having owned both the Avant and BV3-32 I can confirm that the sound is better on the Avant but still very, very good on the BV3-32. Personally I wouldn't even consider the BV3-28 as it's not in the same league.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 02-01-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

Stonk:

Having owned both the Avant and BV3-32 I can confirm that the sound is better on the Avant but still very, very good on the BV3-32. Personally I wouldn't even consider the BV3-28 as it's not in the same league.

Thanks Stonk for more of the bad news. As far as I can see, I want a B&O 28" crt widescreen TV and now don't want an Avant and you say BV3-28 is not so good. Any other options?

I know that evryone is going to say get a 32" but it has to be 28" or slightly smaller.

Joss

• 02-01-2011 8:33 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Joss,

I didn't mean it as bad news but more of my opinion having had numorous B&O CRT Tv's over the years. However, I have never had a BV3-28 so I guess I shouldn't be too against it!

The prices of non DVD Avants and BV3's all seem to be around £100 with little difference whether they are 28 or 32" and that is my reasoning for pushing the 32".  The difference in width between the BV3 28 & 32 is only about 10cm but I guess the overall bulk of the 32 might be too big for wherever you want to place it.

The BV3-28 I'm sure is fine TV and I'm sure you'll love it. In fact there's one HERE

Steve Smile

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 02-01-2011 11:04 AM In reply to

Stonk

Yes indeed, just to ask then. He had some Beolab speakers up for sale which seem to have disappeared. Could you hook those up to the back of the TV? If the TV had the right connections.

• 02-01-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

Just to add my bit! I would get an avant over the bv3 as the sound is awesome! Also the motor stand, also the set looks like a plasma or lcd as the way its designed to look like the screen hangs on a wall! This looks like a mint set aswell Good luck in whatever you choose  

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)