in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-28-2011 7:42 AM by Step1. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2011 8:10 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 8 review

Interesting (albeit brief) review of the Beosound 8.

http://tinyurl.com/6juh8o8

• 01-27-2011 12:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 8 review

Apparently the Zeppelin sounds better.

Right.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-27-2011 1:23 PM In reply to

I'm starting to really like the look of BS8 when seen in the showrooms.

I can't help but think how much better it could have sounded had it been made in Denmark and not outsourced!

Whenever I mention it to the B&O shop sales people they seem to go rather embarrased and quickly show me BeoLab 3's instead.

Had B&O actually made it themselves, I would happily hand over £900 for one, but right now I'm a little worried im buying a Top Man suit for Paul Smith money!

• 01-27-2011 1:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Paul Winn:

I can't help but think how much better it could have sounded had it been made in Denmark and not outsourced!

How would that beConfused

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-27-2011 1:59 PM In reply to

Better quality materials, better speaker drivers and DEFINATELY not a cheap plastic remote! Bang&Olufsen would never have made a cheap remote like that a few years ago! Is it really asking too much for a Bang & Olufsen product to be put together in a Bang & Olufsen factory? I don't think from such an expensive brand!

• 01-27-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

Wait a sec... I thought it *was* made in Denmark. Where is it made (I've not seen one yet on person)? Please tell me it is not China...

• 01-27-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

This isn't B&O's first plastic remote. Quite a few beomasters had plastic remotes...eg Beomaster 8000.

Durban South Africa

• 01-27-2011 2:16 PM In reply to

Damned if they do... damned if they don't...

Buy it... or don't...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-27-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Paul Winn:

Better quality materials, better speaker drivers and DEFINATELY not a cheap plastic remote! Bang&Olufsen would never have made a cheap remote like that a few years ago! Is it really asking too much for a Bang & Olufsen product to be put together in a Bang & Olufsen factory? I don't think from such an expensive brand!

My understanding of the BS8 is that the components are designed and specified in Denmark and produced and assembled in China. Nothing I have read or heard would indicate that it is a sourced and badged design from another (Chinese) manufacturer.

If the above is correct, then assembling in Denmark would result in exactly the same product but with a higher labour (and therefore overall manufacturing) cost. There would of course be some additional kudos to those who believe that screwing it together in Denmark is inherently better than screwing it together in China. Assembling the same parts in a different location will not impact the sound quality!

• 01-27-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

SiliconTi:

Wait a sec... I thought it *was* made in Denmark. Where is it made (I've not seen one yet on person)? Please tell me it is not China...

There's a whole other thread discussing the merits (or not) of making the BS8 in China - you may want to search for that one too.

• 01-27-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

Having seen the drivers used in speakers like the 6000, made in Denmark, I doubt the quality of the drivers of the BS8 have much to be ashamed of. I think it sounds pretty good though I would like to hear it back to back with another good dock.If you don't like the remote, use a Beo4.

• 01-27-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

I like the sound of BS8 much more than the Zeppelin... is it just me?

• 01-27-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Oh no not again Angry

Olly.

• 01-27-2011 6:20 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

In our local store today to retrieve our recently repaired Beosound 3200.

I was given a demonstration of the Beosound 8, and ask any and all questions. The sound was very good, but more than a few times I suggested it be turned down in order to have a conversation. Seal never sounded better !

Quite correct as mentioned above, the remote is different and light. Milled aluminum might have been a better and more solid choice of materials. I also agree that the suggestion of the IPhone/Pod/Pad placement on the front of the bridge would have looked much superior. While this in my opinion looks more attractive, it might not have been functionally possible ( read more expensive ) without an engineering workaround.

One concern I do have regards the inevitable and growing use of the IPad; The docking of the IPad atop the bridge feels delicate, and a bit precarious.

As I change the colour plates on our Beolab 4000 speakers now and then, the different colour grilles on the Beosound 8 are a great idea, and ( if Bang & Olufsen is listening ) a great sales tool. I do know of two gentlemen from Brasil that purchased two Beosound 8 units primarily for the sound, but secondarily due to a very sharp salesman placing a green and yellow grilles on the speakers.

That was a smart move, the new clients are happy in the Apple and B&O camp, and I would suggest that Bang & Olufsen increase the number of colour choices in the Beosound 8 quiver.  Perhaps that has already occurred, just as the number of Beoplayer station choices will soon in the paid Itune Beoplayer app.

• 01-27-2011 6:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

Better quality materials, better speaker drivers and DEFINATELY not a cheap plastic remote! Bang&Olufsen would never have made a cheap remote like that a few years ago!

Remember the early Beo 4s? Remember the Beolink 5000? Very fancy, but both were built like something from a Kinder-egg.

Paul Winn:

Is it really asking too much for a Bang & Olufsen product to be put together in a Bang & Olufsen factory? I don't think from such an expensive brand!

It depends how much you want to pay. If you are a lot of B&O's target market, then I think it really is quite a big ask!

I'd really like to know where your prejudice against equipment made in China comes from. Frankly, it sounds to me like you've succumbed to the marketing that being manufactured in Denmark actually does make a difference to the build quality.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-27-2011 7:36 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Danes are well known for the skill they bring to bear with a pneumatic screw driver.  

• 01-28-2011 1:53 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Whenever faced with an "anti" who gleefully tells you that they have a Zeppelin and that they would never have a B&O product(just styling), remind them that their B&W player actually relies on ICE technology which is made in a little town called StruerLaughing

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-28-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

I have a hard time dropping US$1,000 on something made in China.

Then again, my MacBook Pro was and it was 2x that. Hmm...

• 01-28-2011 7:15 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am sure this is true but I can find no official mention of this... Maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

Olly.

• 01-28-2011 7:39 AM In reply to

Step1:

I am sure this is true but I can find no official mention of this... Maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

I'm sure it's mentioned on the back of the Beosound 8 on a sticker! Laughing Most likely not advertised on B&O's homepage... Big Smile

I'm not sweating it over the BS8, it's a product I will never own, because I can't see the need for it (for me). 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-28-2011 7:42 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Sorry Andreas I was refering to the post above about ICE driving the B&W speakers... I have completly lost interest in where and by whom it is made!

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)