in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-29-2011 5:19 PM by OKF. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2011 5:47 PM

BeoSound 5 app coming for iOS

My dealer confirmed that Bang & Olufsen is, indeed, developing an app for the iPhone/iPad to provide 2-way control and navigation of the BeoSound 5 via wifi. He said that this will be a MUCH better way of navigating the music collection on the BeoSound 5 and that the Beo6 is just too small to effectively navigate a large music collection on the BeoSound 5.

• 01-26-2011 10:59 PM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 app coming for iOS

As good as that sounds I wouldn't want to do it. I like apple but would rather have a large B&O tablet. Like a screen that can be detached from the wall mount and  but on a table when in use and a but back on the wall for charging and storage. 

The thought of depending on wifi between iOS and Windows with 2 different hardware manufactures sounds like a mistake to me. I think it is a step in the right direction for sure but apple like apple integration and B&O like B&O integration. I think if any partnership can do it, it will be apple and B&O.

Super happy about 2 way communication returning!

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-27-2011 2:13 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    He said that this will be a MUCH better way of navigating the music collection on the BeoSound 5 and that the Beo6 is just too small to effectively navigate a large music collection on the BeoSound 5.

Nonsense. Of course, they might come out with a wifi app for the iThingies, but his conclusion seems like it is copied from MacRumors.com.

If Squeezebox can do it well on a smaller screen than the iPhone, and smaller than the Beo5/6, surely B&O can do it on their remotes. In fact, one of the reasons a (capacitive)  touchscreen-only can't be much smaller than the iPhone is because one needs to be able to use one's pretty cumbersome fingertips, or even the idiotic "three finger swipe".

If you're navigating with hardware buttons mostly, you don't need such a big screen to scroll through a big music collection.

It's as if the dealer thinks there's much difference in having, say, 50 albums, and 500 hundred, when there really isn't much difference.

I don't think I mentioned this time around, that constant swiping isn't good for your wrist. It's much better (and faster) to click a hardware button.

• 01-27-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

First of all, the controller for Squeezebox is not a touch screen. The screen is just a display, controlled with hardware buttons, so the size of the screen is not relevant. I own one, but I do prefer the app on the iPhone. Doing a search alphabeticly through albums or artist is so easy and fast with the alphabet, vertically on the right side of your screen. As far as I can see, doing the same thing with a Beo6 will be the biggest challenge for B&O.

I just cannot imagine how I would navigate from Abba to ZZtop with a Beo6, if there are 500 artists in your library. The Beo6, as far as I know of, only has hardware buttons and 9 or 12 dedicated software buttons. With the "iThingie", I can do this in a split second, not even using my wrist..

For now I give this dealer the benefit of the doubt, before I see otherwise.

• 01-27-2011 3:44 AM In reply to

I have to admit, it does take some time to go from ABBA to ZZtop when pressing the down button on the Beo4.

This is now I feel it when I navigate using the BM5 connected to the TV. It is not a problem at my dealer, they only have 50 albums on the BM5, not 500 or 1.000, or many artists if you have xyx Hits CD's (with i.e. 20 different artists per CD).

But my don't like it, or don't understand why you can not start with the first letter in the overview, and from there go into artists.

Going to be interesting how Beo6 will handle this.

There is something about B&O.....

• 01-27-2011 3:53 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

DoubleU:
    First of all, the controller for Squeezebox is not a touch screen. The screen is just a display, controlled with hardware buttons, so the size of the screen is not relevant.

I am well aware of that. Hence my point that a touchscreen-only interface will need a bigger screen than one that also has hardware buttons. Please reread my post.

DoubleU:
    I own one, but I do prefer the app on the iPhone. Doing a search alphabeticly through albums or artist is so easy and fast with the alphabet, vertically on the right side of your screen. As far as I can see, doing the same thing with a Beo6 will be the biggest challenge for B&O.

Probably, but the Beo6 has a real touch screen without the delay, so they might actually be able to make it work as it should. On the other hand, with a touchscreen-only interface, you will be in a poor situation without a search function, because you would be doing a lot of swiping. On a touchscreen-only interface, a search function (i.e. typing) is a necessity. Not so much when you have hardware buttons.

DoubleU:
    I just cannot imagine how I would navigate from Abba to ZZtop with a Beo6, if there are 500 artists in your library.

Scroll up, so it goes from Abba to ZZ top directly?

DoubleU:
    The Beo6, as far as I know of, only has hardware buttons and 9 or 12 dedicated software buttons. With the "iThingie", I can do this in a split second, not even using my wrist..

WiFi for the Beo6 isn't even out in the open yet, so browsing the nas/bm5 isn't even possible. With proper two-way communication, I can't see why the Beo6 would have the same limit as the Beo5.

Count your swipes.

DoubleU:

I can't see why I should trust a dealer on anything. He has most likely tried the Beo6 with two-way WiFi communication as much as I have (i.e. not at all).

• 01-27-2011 5:03 AM In reply to

Electrified:

DoubleU:
    I own one, but I do prefer the app on the iPhone. Doing a search alphabeticly through albums or artist is so easy and fast with the alphabet, vertically on the right side of your screen. As far as I can see, doing the same thing with a Beo6 will be the biggest challenge for B&O.

Probably, but the Beo6 has a real touch screen without the delay, so they might actually be able to make it work as it should. On the other hand, with a touchscreen-only interface, you will be in a poor situation without a search function, because you would be doing a lot of swiping. On a touchscreen-only interface, a search function (i.e. typing) is a necessity. Not so much when you have hardware buttons.

Sorry, I don't understand the "delay" thing. I don't understand the swiping thing either. Looking at this screenshot, I don't need hardware buttons, to get the track I want to play, or add it to a playlist instantly. Swiping (only once) over the vertical alphabet is one of the best features of the remote. "Counting" your swipes, I just don't get it!

Typing, I don't have a problem with that. Typing three or four letters of an album or artist name, and you don't have to swipe.

http://webdiary.com/i/content/ipeng2.jpg

Electrified:

DoubleU:
    I just cannot imagine how I would navigate from Abba to ZZtop with a Beo6, if there are 500 artists in your library.

Scroll up, so it goes from Abba to ZZ top directly?

Haha. You know what I mean.. :-)

Electrified:

DoubleU:

I can't see why I should trust a dealer on anything. He has most likely tried the Beo6 with two-way WiFi communication as much as I have (i.e. not at all).

So true. But we"ll see.

• 01-27-2011 5:16 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

DoubleU:
    Sorry, I don't understand the "delay" thing

The Beo5 has a delay (around a second) before it reacts to being "touched". The Beo6 does not have this delay, and works much more like an ordinary touch screen like the one on the iPads/iPods/iPhones.

DoubleU:
    I don't understand the swiping thing either. Looking at this screenshot, I don't need hardware buttons, to get the track I want to play, or add it to a playlist instantly. Swiping (only once) over the vertical alphabet is one of the best features of the remote. "Counting" your swipes, I just don't get it!

Navigating with a  touch interface solely will make you swipe and move your wrist much more than using hardware buttons or a combination. When you have chosen your artist, and going into the albums, and scroll through tracks and going back and forth, you will be swiping much more on a touch interface than with hardware buttons.

DoubleU:
    Haha. You know what I mean.. :-)

LOL, yes, but my point was half serious: Having an interface based solely on touch isn't the only way of doing things. For instance, you can have "scroll accelaration", so that when you press the hardware button and hold it, it will scroll faster (just like scrubbing on a cd player), and since the Beo6 is touch as well as having hardware buttons, they could very well implement something like an alphabet "chooser".

DoubleU:
    So true. But we"ll see.

Yup. I'm not saying the Beo6 will be all you and I want. Rather, my point is, that it's not necessarily worse to have a smaller screen, unless you consider a touch-only interface to be the be-all and end-all of interfaces.

• 01-27-2011 7:08 AM In reply to

The dealer has had hands-on experience with the Beo6 as a 2-way controller of the BeoSound 5 and reported that the text is small and difficult to read.

Those who don't have an iPad should really stop bashing it! The beauty of the iPad is that it has such versatility in function and gives the third-party developer a blank canvas with which to develop a user interface that works best for them. It's easy to include a search function for finding artists, tracks, albums, etc. The flicking makes scrolling very fast -- much like the physical flicking that one does with the wheel on the BeoSound 5 itself. The interface could even be one that exactly mirrors that of the actual BeoSound 5 interface and screen -- which would be fantastic if B&O goes that route.

Something great with B&O is that they've given us OPTIONS with remotes. Those who prefer the Beo4 for the simple physical button layout can still choose to buy and use it as their remote. The iOS app for iPad/iPhone will be nice to have as an option.

• 01-27-2011 7:29 AM In reply to

I have a BeoPort with BMLink as a single audio source at home, I sold my BeoSound as soon as I started using BeoPort.

You can already use your Idevice with the remote app, and it will all work in 2-way communication, allowing you to use all NRADIO and NMUSIC features thoughout the house. That's what I'm doing on my 26-year-old BeoCenter 9000, sending the Itunes sound to the AUX input and navigating with my Iphone.

If I want a full B&O integration and control of the sources (and even interface) , I can even use Philippe's Linkremote app.

So seriously, who needs a new Beo6 or BS5 app? Those with BeoLiving or a PC-based system? Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-27-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    The dealer has had hands-on experience with the Beo6 as a 2-way controller of the BeoSound 5 and reported that the text is small and difficult to read.

Yet the dealer in question has not had the experience of using it as a two way remote in conjunction with the BS5 Encore/BM5.

beojeff:
    Those who don't have an iPad should really stop bashing it!

This daft argument is often brought up by people who tries to stop criticism of a given product.

The problem with that sort of argument is that ownership of a given product has little relevance to most arguments, and certainly have no bearing on arguments in this thread. I don't need to buy a huge pick up truck from the US to know that it's a petrol guzzler, nor do I need to buy one to know that it will be a *** to park something like that in the inner city of Copenhagen, nor do I have to buy one to know that it's height will be a disadvantage if you have to sverve to avoid an obstacle.

However, if you want to use that argument, you will have to apply it yourself to your own claims. Try it out for size.

beojeff:
    The beauty of the iPad is that it has such versatility in function and gives the third-party developer a blank canvas with which to develop a user interface that works best for them.

Yes, that might be so, but that "blank canvas" is only within the realm of a touch-only interface, and in the case of the iPad or other tablets, the size in itself makes it rather cumbersome for a remote, making everything either a two handed operation or when lying it flat on the table, a nice big reflective surface to annoy you.

beojeff:
    It's easy to include a search function for finding artists, tracks, albums, etc. The flicking makes scrolling very fast -- much like the physical flicking that one does with the wheel on the BeoSound 5 itself. The interface could even be one that exactly mirrors that of the actual BeoSound 5 interface and screen -- which would be fantastic if B&O goes that route.

There's a world of difference between what you do on the BS5 and what you do on the iPad/iPhone/iPod: Much the same difference as between a normal laptop keyboard and touch keyboard.

There's a reason our keyboards aren't a touchscreen. 

beojeff:
    Something great with B&O is that they've given us OPTIONS with remotes. Those who prefer the Beo4 for the simple physical button layout can still choose to buy and use it as their remote. The iOS app for iPad/iPhone will be nice to have as an option.

Hmm, the beo4 is not a two-way remote. Nor is the beo5. The beo6 is, but noone has it working with WiFi yet.

• 01-27-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

Electrified:

beojeff:

Yet the dealer in question has not had the experience of using it as a two way remote in conjunction with the BS5 Encore/BM5.

beojeff:
    Those who don't have an iPad should really stop bashing it!

This daft argument is often brought up by people who tries to stop criticism of a given product.

The problem with that sort of argument is that ownership of a given product has little relevance to most arguments, and certainly have no bearing on arguments in this thread. I don't need to buy a huge pick up truck from the US to know that it's a petrol guzzler, nor do I need to buy one to know that it will be a *** to park something like that in the inner city of Copenhagen, nor do I have to buy one to know that it's height will be a disadvantage if you have to sverve to avoid an obstacle.

However, if you want to use that argument, you will have to apply it yourself to your own claims. Try it out for size.

beojeff:
    The beauty of the iPad is that it has such versatility in function and gives the third-party developer a blank canvas with which to develop a user interface that works best for them.

Yes, that might be so, but that "blank canvas" is only within the realm of a touch-only interface, and in the case of the iPad or other tablets, the size in itself makes it rather cumbersome for a remote, making everything either a two handed operation or when lying it flat on the table, a nice big reflective surface to annoy you.

beojeff:
    It's easy to include a search function for finding artists, tracks, albums, etc. The flicking makes scrolling very fast -- much like the physical flicking that one does with the wheel on the BeoSound 5 itself. The interface could even be one that exactly mirrors that of the actual BeoSound 5 interface and screen -- which would be fantastic if B&O goes that route.

There's a world of difference between what you do on the BS5 and what you do on the iPad/iPhone/iPod: Much the same difference as between a normal laptop keyboard and touch keyboard.

There's a reason our keyboards aren't a touchscreen. 

beojeff:

Hmm, the beo4 is not a two-way remote. Nor is the beo5. The beo6 is, but noone has it working with WiFi yet.

Enough. This was intended as a friendly, informative thread. Saying someone's arguments or opinions is "daft" is uncalled for. The iPad-bashing (or even Apple-bashing for that matter) gets very tiresome from someone who hasn't lived with and used an iPad. You're perfectly entitled to enjoy using a Beo6. My last comment which you quoted in your last post was intended to bring peace among the comments in this thread, merely saying that's it's nice to have options. 

• 01-27-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    Enough. This was intended as a friendly, informative thread. Saying someone's arguments or opinions is "daft" is uncalled for

No, because it is a daft demand to make before one is "allowed" to argue either for or against a touch interface. It was you, who brought up the iPad specifically. I was arguing against touch-only interfaces in general, and the iThingies was the most relevant, giving it was an iThingy app we were discussing.

It really doesn't matter if it's an iPad, an iPhone or an iPod, when I'm arguing against touch-only interfaces. It could just as well be something from Samsung. It really doesn't matter. With the iPad, you just make the surface even bigger, introducing even more cumbersome handling, just like you would if you went from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy tab (only the iPad is even larger).

beojeff:
    The iPad-bashing (or even Apple-bashing for that matter) gets very tiresome from someone who hasn't lived with and used an iPad.

It's getting much more tiresome having Apple fanboys getting personally offended about anything that doesn't read as an advert for Apple's products.

And, yes, it's still a daft "suggestion" that one shold own something before one can make and have an informed opinion.

beojeff:
    You're perfectly entitled to enjoy using a Beo6.

You need to read my posts once again. I am not saying that B&O will necessairly succeed when implementing this. I am saying that there are no reason to conclude that because the screen of the beo6 is smaller, it will then automatically give one a worse experience.

beojeff:
    My last comment which you quoted in your last post was intended to bring peace among the comments in this thread, merely saying that's it's nice to have options. 

Yes, it's nice to have options, but your stated intent is far from what you actually communicated.

• 01-27-2011 9:09 AM In reply to

Electrified:

beojeff:
    Enough. This was intended as a friendly, informative thread. Saying someone's arguments or opinions is "daft" is uncalled for

No, because it is a daft demand to make before one is "allowed" to argue either for or against a touch interface. It was you, who brought up the iPad specifically. I was arguing against touch-only interfaces in general, and the iThingies was the most relevant, giving it was an iThingy app we were discussing.

It really doesn't matter if it's an iPad, an iPhone or an iPod, when I'm arguing against touch-only interfaces. It could just as well be something from Samsung. It really doesn't matter. With the iPad, you just make the surface even bigger, introducing even more cumbersome handling, just like you would if you went from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy tab (only the iPad is even larger).

beojeff:
    The iPad-bashing (or even Apple-bashing for that matter) gets very tiresome from someone who hasn't lived with and used an iPad.

It's getting much more tiresome having Apple fanboys getting personally offended about anything that doesn't read as an advert for Apple's products.

And, yes, it's still a daft "suggestion" that one shold own something before one can make and have an informed opinion.

beojeff:
    You're perfectly entitled to enjoy using a Beo6.

You need to read my posts once again. I am not saying that B&O will necessairly succeed when implementing this. I am saying that there are no reason to conclude that because the screen of the beo6 is smaller, it will then automatically give one a worse experience.

beojeff:
    My last comment which you quoted in your last post was intended to bring peace among the comments in this thread, merely saying that's it's nice to have options. 

Yes, it's nice to have options, but your stated intent is far from what you actually communicated.

Again, enough.

• 01-27-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    Again, enough.

And again: You don't get to control what people think of your favourite products, and even less how they communicate it. It's pretty obvious that you're simply trying to shut down any utterance that doesn't coincide with your own opinion.

These last couple of posts of yours only emphasize my point. For that, I thank you.

• 01-31-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

I'm wondering if anyone - especially any dealers - has any insight as to whether the app will extend to control of other B&O devices via the wifi to masterlink connection like the current BeoLink app does. This would be a nice alternative for those of us who don't need the home automation features of the ML-Gateway.

• 02-14-2011 3:34 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Does anybody know if there will be an  Android-Version, too? 

• 02-16-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Does anyone know what this actual app is supposed to do?

I await receipt of my BM5/BS5 in a couple days.

I think the BEO6 wifi version will be a nice addition to it.

However, I'm interested in the app.  Is there anything official or is

this mere speculation?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 03-16-2011 4:24 AM In reply to

• LarsH
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-23-2007
    • Uppsala, Sweden
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Any news?

• 03-28-2011 6:43 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

IMHO the fact that customers cannot navigate through their music collection via the BeoLink app is a joke.

Just by adding this functionality, B&O will sell more BeoSound5s and more ML Gateways and give their cilents a much better experience.

• 03-29-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

I totally agree but 'Danish Thinking' is different to our 'Wishful Thinking' :-)

Also that B+O does not support lossless format really puts me off. When it comes to compressed music Apple is the market leader and I think one has to accept it. The prob with both companies is that they have and work within their own products and environments and are not really open for 3rd party. Apple can still afford that but B+O no more and they are slowly opening up Ithink not fast enough and in a wrong way.

Best regards Oliver

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)