in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-30-2011 8:41 AM by Karel Uyttendaele. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2011 4:17 PM

• Henry
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-30-2010
    • London
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 8 is dumb

The Beosound 8 is a wonderful iPod/iPad dock but regrettably is totally dumb and reliant on a decent app on the iDevice that you use. The Beoplayer app is totally useless having so few UK radio stations. Any one country gets no more than three or four stations as there are only 20. How much does it cost, or how difficult can it be to add a wide range of stations but there is still no upgraded version available?

I've not found, despite purchasing a good few, a radio app that will allow me to go to sleep on a timer playing music from the iPod player and then wake up to a radio station set with the alarm function. It just doesn't work.

Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

• 01-24-2011 4:32 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 is dumb

This may be off-topic but don't you need earphones connected to the iDevice to be used as an antenna for receiving (wider range of) stations? Or is there something on BS8 that is used for radio reception?

• 01-24-2011 4:44 PM In reply to

I assume you make a joke?, but no, the radio is accessed via the iPhone/iPod/iPad docked. The thread starter complains on the lack of internet radio stations available. On the BM5/BS5 you can access over 10.000 radio stations world wide, and this is the functionality I think he wants on his application for the i-thing as well :-)

• 01-24-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

Sorry, my bad. :) Since the word "internet" was not associated with radio stations earlier i thought he was talking about normal radio reception which can also be done with iPods etc. :)

Sorry guys.

• 01-24-2011 5:53 PM In reply to

The new B&O app will give access to over 10,000 radio stations very soon.

I say a big thumbs up to iPhone and iPod they have given a great deal of pleasure and happiness to hundreds of thousands, probably millions of people!

• 01-24-2011 8:17 PM In reply to

Thank you for the well considered post. You've added immeasurably to the dialog. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-25-2011 1:58 AM In reply to

It is a little silly that the App was not available at launch - but not completely surprising! I am sure it will be fine once it arrives though I do confess to being a little surprised at the cost.

• 01-25-2011 2:09 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Isn't internet-radio-listening by an iPhone limited by the "fair use policy" of your telecom provider? 

And listening radio wit an iPod is not possible at all, or am I missing something?

• 01-25-2011 3:57 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I couldn't comment on the B&O app, but if you can't wait, I have the app Tune In Radio which I would work fine on a BeoSound 8. Doesn't look as nice as the B&O one or offer some of the same features (easy remote-controllability or alarm clock), but it does give you a huge (ridiculous) number of stations!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-25-2011 4:37 AM In reply to

An iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad can be used with ease for radio reception - preferably using WiFi, or 3G on the latter two. You need an app which receives radio, and there are lots in the app-store.

I have one which I use to either listen directly on the iDevice, or to send it to any of my sound systems via AirPlay, using my home network. The B&O app is suppsed to get thousands of netradio stations.

Check out Tunemark Radio for a sample app. Or Accuradio.

Get an app that doesn't give you advertising, and you're set (unless you love advertising.) There are lots of country-specific apps - my national broadcaster has their own, and it has AirPlay, which means I can pick any of their stations and send it to my systems. If you have Airport Express connected to the BeoSound 8 you can do the same.

• 01-25-2011 4:40 AM In reply to

jc:

Isn't internet-radio-listening by an iPhone limited by the "fair use policy" of your telecom provider? 

And listening radio wit an iPod is not possible at all, or am I missing something?

There's no frequency tuned radio in the iPhone, iPad or iPod , that's right, only internet radio. I guess there's radio add-ons available...? Not sure if they will work with a dock though. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-25-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

bayerische:

jc:

There's no frequency tuned radio in the iPhone, iPad or iPod , that's right, only internet radio. I guess there's radio add-ons available...? Not sure if they will work with a dock though. 

5th gen iPods and iPod Nanos with SW ver. 1.1. have FM tuner. Again this is off the original topic (Wink) and this radio cannot be used with BS8 but i think this is what you meant with frequency tuned radio?

• 01-25-2011 5:12 AM In reply to

redfresnel:

bayerische:

jc:

5th gen iPods and iPod Nanos with SW ver. 1.1. have FM tuner. Again this is off the original topic (Wink) and this radio cannot be used with BS8 but i think this is what you meant with frequency tuned radio?

Just saw that, wasn't aware! Are you sure the iPod classic I presume you mean has FM? I saw it only mentioned on the Nano...? 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-25-2011 5:41 AM In reply to

You can place your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch in the dock on the BeoSound 8, and use WiFi to access a service such as that of AccuRadio. And then you are streaming content to the speakers.

• 01-25-2011 8:31 AM In reply to

bayerische:

redfresnel:

bayerische:

jc:

Just saw that, wasn't aware! Are you sure the iPod classic I presume you mean has FM? I saw it only mentioned on the Nano...? 

Hmmm...Maybe i misunderstood something from the Apple site and maybe then the FM tuner for other models is only with the external Radio Remote, not sure...Atleast on Nano it's integrated, that i physically confirmed this morning.

• 01-25-2011 8:37 AM In reply to

For me, one of the major weaknesses of the BeoPlayer app for Idevices is that , as for all other B&O-based softwares, it doesn't show any information about track, artist and album names, unlike the free BMLink with BeoPort or even the almost-free Linkplayer..SadSo I don't think I will purchase the new app, even if it has a wide choice of stations.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-26-2011 4:31 AM In reply to

If my memory serves me right.. then the App is intended for tuning into radio stations and the clock functions... nothing more.

If you want to see track/artist/album name.. then just use the iPod function on your iPhone when it's docked into the BeoSound 8! Why would B&O re-invent the wheel if there's already a way of displaying all the info?  And.. it's controllable with the remote.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-26-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

Exactly.

• 01-26-2011 8:59 AM In reply to

No, Chris is right.  These internet radio stations broadcast song infomation that iTunes and other software can display.  I too find the lack of this info in the BeoPlayer app annoying.  B&O could certainly add this via an update however.

• 01-26-2011 1:41 PM In reply to

BeoPaul... why would you add an music player interface in BeoPlayer when you have an iPod function in very iPhone/iPod Touch? If you want to play your music files start the iPod. Want to listen to the radio? Start the BeoPlayer.

Both can be controlled with the remote. So I don't see the problem.

Let's be honest.. If B&O would add such an option in the BeoPlayer app then everyone would argue that this function already exists on their iPhone/iPod Touch... and that B&O did a lousy job implementing it.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-26-2011 4:42 PM In reply to

Karel, I'm not saying add a music player interface.  That would indeed be silly.   I, and presumably Chris, are talking about music information shown for streaming internet radio music.  When I listen to Absolute Radio on my computer through iTunes, it shows the song title, album and artist, which is really helpful if it's something I haven't heard before.  On the other hand, when playing this through BeoPlayer on my iPhone, I get none of this data. Many internet radio stations include this info in the data stream, and as you can see from the AccuRadio screen snap earlier in this thread, this feature is present in other apps.

• 01-26-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

Henry:

The Beosound 8 is a wonderful iPod/iPad dock but regrettably is totally dumb and reliant on a decent app on the iDevice that you use. The Beoplayer app is totally useless having so few UK radio stations. Any one country gets no more than three or four stations as there are only 20. How much does it cost, or how difficult can it be to add a wide range of stations but there is still no upgraded version available?

I've not found, despite purchasing a good few, a radio app that will allow me to go to sleep on a timer playing music from the iPod player and then wake up to a radio station set with the alarm function. It just doesn't work.

Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

Here you go Henry, try this app http://www.tunein-radio.com/index.html

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 01-26-2011 6:35 PM In reply to

Or search for Radio.fx in Apple's App Store.

/Räuber
  • 01-27-2011 1:55 AM In reply to

• Henry
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-30-2010
    • London
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

A lot of interesting debate that confirms my experience. The Beosound 8 is a superb iPod dock but is no more than a pair of speakers and amplifier that requires an intelligent iPad/iPod app in order to do all I want from it. I can set the sleep timer on the radio station I want to wake up to, but I can't go to sleep to music from the iPod and wake up to the radio. I've tried all the radio apps recommended in this thread, to no avail.

• 01-27-2011 4:44 AM In reply to

For going to sleep to music from the IPod use the CLOCK app and for waking up from the radio use the radio app.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >