in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-31-2011 3:46 AM by sorenfelden. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2011 7:07 AM

Ripping formats for Beosound5

I am awaiting my new Beosound7/Beomaster5 and want to make sure I rip my CDs in a LOSSLESS format which, ideally, is suitable for both iTunes (where I manage my downloads and rips for my iPod) as well as the Beomaster5. My dealer has informed me that I can rip in Apple Lossless - great if it's true, but Apple Lossless format is NOT mentioned in the list of audio formats in the Beosound5 specifications on B&Os website. Is my dealer wrong (please say he isn't.......)?

If so, is there any other recommended LOSSLESS format? WAV would work in both iTunes and Boemaster5, but I would loose metadata (artist, album) etc. and I really don't want to have to add that manually. FLAC and WMA Lossless would work with Beomaster5 but not with iTunes....

• 01-24-2011 7:08 AM In reply to

Re: Ripping formats for Beosound5

I of course meant Beosound5, not 7.

• 01-24-2011 7:32 AM In reply to

FLAC!

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-24-2011 7:34 AM In reply to

Does FLAC work in iTunes...??? It does not pop op as an option in the ripping format menu.....!

• 01-24-2011 7:39 AM In reply to

sorenfelden:

Does FLAC work in iTunes...??? It does not pop op as an option in the ripping format menu.....!

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-24-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

Thanks for the link which, however, seems to support my above comment that FLAC does NOT work in iTunes.

So the question still remains whether there is a LOSSLESS format which is compatible with BOTH iTunes and Beomaster5. I'm afraid not......

• 01-24-2011 7:48 AM In reply to

sorenfelden:

Thanks for the link which, however, seems to support my above comment that FLAC does NOT work in iTunes.

So the question still remains whether there is a LOSSLESS format which is compatible with BOTH iTunes and Beomaster5. I'm afraid not......

Sorry Sorenfelden, I don't like Apple! I like free internet, not  iChurch. Wink

Edit: http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/12/how-to-play-flac-files-in-itunes/

• 01-24-2011 7:50 AM In reply to

• 01-24-2011 8:13 AM In reply to

Which player would you recommend instead of iTunes? If there's a better one i'd like to know, or do you just use something else because iTunes is made by Apple?

• 01-24-2011 10:09 AM In reply to

redfresnel:

Which player would you recommend instead of iTunes? If there's a better one i'd like to know, or do you just use something else because iTunes is made by Apple?

foobar2000

• 01-24-2011 10:26 AM In reply to

• Friko
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-30-2010
    • Slovenia
    • Posts 9
    • Silver Member

Hello,

Maybe this will help you.

How to handle music ripped in Apple Lossless (ALAC) format

Due to licensing issues, we are not able to play Apple Lossless music on our products.

As a workaround we recommend converting the music to Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) which is supported on BeoSound 5 with software version 6.02 or newer.

This can be done without loss of quality.

On Windows platform

For Windows we recommend “dBpoweramp Music Converter”.

See more info at http://www.dbpoweramp.com

On MAC platform

For MAC we recommend “Max”.

See more info at http://sbooth.org/

BR

Franci

• 01-24-2011 10:27 AM In reply to

Soren, wait for the Beosound 5 encore, that will support iTunes related file formats (so they say...) and can access your lib directly.

If you are into lossless, you prob. need more than that 500GB space on your media storage, so the "old" BS5 is outdated anyway, as its not upgradeable by default.

Sidenote: Ffoobar2000 is Windows only, don't ever try to convince a Mac user to use Windows stuff ... we won't!

Best

Ultra

• 01-24-2011 11:37 AM In reply to

sorenfelden:

I am afraid not.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-24-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

Well, AIFF should be... Just twice the size.

• 01-24-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

sorenfelden:

see

http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/

for playing FLAC files in iTunes

So the lossless format answer is.................. FLAC

• 01-24-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

alenvprekrsku:

redfresnel:

foobar2000

I am sorry but the program is only for Windows which is made by Microsoft which if you ask me is worse than Apple. They may both be big and bad companies and so on but atleast Apple makes working operating systems. :)

• 01-24-2011 12:58 PM In reply to

Foobar is freeware. And there is nothing wrong with it.

(I use both OS and my machines are working fine)

• 01-24-2011 1:09 PM In reply to

I tried to use max on my mac - but without success. I did not work out to get a foulder with music (Flac; 1:1) and meta data that could be dropped to the Beoconnect icon in the dock? I have no idea what went wrong. Do you know where to find a helpful user guide?

Best

Verzollnix

• 01-24-2011 1:45 PM In reply to

you can play Flac files with iTunes, but iTunes cannot fill/read the tag of a Flac file (it can display its own info though). With Max I don't know if it fills the TAG of a Flac file, I never used it. If these informations are not stored in the TAG the BS5 doesn't have any information to display.

In my case I use a W7 machine for ripping and adjusting the Tags. There are a lot of tools to rip and tag all kind of formats on a PC, on a Mac its much harder. 

• 01-24-2011 4:24 PM In reply to

Carolpa:

Foobar is freeware. And there is nothing wrong with it.

(I use both OS and my machines are working fine)

I didn't say there's something wrong with the program. I said the OS it was made to be used on is not good. If you really respect a program you create and you don't make versions for both Windows and OSX, that's currently just simply stupid. And i don't want to use Windows on Mac because of a single program, even though it's possible.

And btw, iTunes is freeware too :)

• 01-24-2011 5:35 PM In reply to

Carolpa, FLAC is fully compatible with BM5 but only to some extend in iTunes - as far as I'm aware it doesn't work on a connected iPod for example.

PhilLondon, interesting idea with the AIFF format. However, is doesn't appear on B&Os list of compatible formats for the BM5...?

I guess a reasonably practical solution to these issues could be to creaty (at least) two folders for the BM5 to scan; One containing iTunes(lossy) downloads and another containing lossless CD rips (necessitating other ripping software, e.g. Windows Media Player). Disadvantage would be that te iPod would not be able to read the lossless rips (unless there is some sort of conversion programme)......

And people say technology makes life easier - I miss the days of oldfashioned CDs... o)

• 01-25-2011 2:02 AM In reply to

redfresnel:
    If you really respect a program you create and you don't make versions for both Windows and OSX, that's currently just simply stupid.

isn't that a long time "problem" with mac's? 

I love my Mac and I use it a lot, but my PC works fine also. On the later I can find a much greater variety of sw (f.e. for ripping and tagging) 

• 01-25-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

The problem is that the people who create those programs don't realize how many users are really Mac users and they sometimes explain that it is expensive or too time consuming to do Mac versions of their programs.

An example: Yamaha had their sound mixer control software only for PC and many users told them they need the same program for Mac because the majority of sound engineers use Mac because it's a stable platform to be used with other sound software, for example ProTools. So, Yamaha's official answer was that it would be cheaper for them to buy a PC laptop for everyone who needs Mac version of the software and this they kept telling for some years after which they converted the program to work with Mac. As far as i know during this time they didn't buy anyone a PC laptop.

If you ask me it's a bit of an attitude thing, like it is that i don't want to use PCs anymore but still i claim that making programs work with both PC and Mac would just increase the program's value and credibility.

• 01-25-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

Carolpa:

redfresnel:
    If you really respect a program you create and you don't make versions for both Windows and OSX, that's currently just simply stupid.

isn't that a long time "problem" with mac's? 

It's a problem with every OS. Cross-platform development is far from simple, especially for applications that have a GUI (like a music player) or interface with the hardware (like a music player).

Furthermore, if you want to develop for OSX, you need to have a Mac. Most of the other desktop OSs can be run on a single cheap PC, which will also host the development toolchains and emulators for most mobile platforms (except for Apple, of course).

-mika

• 01-25-2011 9:42 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Why ripping in a compression Codec? Why not just in WAV?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >