in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2011 3:34 PM by Stoobietoo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2011 12:50 PM

Is it possible to extend masterlink via home powerline network adaptors?

I was sitting thinking the other day about my masterlink setup and it popped into my head that it may be possible to use masterlink to RJ45 leads (see here) and a pair of powerline networking sockets (see here) to extend my setup. I use BeoLink Wireless to one room at the moment and have been very lucky not to have the issues described so often on here. I would now like to have masterlink to speakers in my Kitchen and Upstairs. Does anyone know if that would work rather than running cables from room to room. It would seem really simple to have a cable pugged in to a socket at "main end" and then a socket in each room that you want the masterlink connected.

The only issue I could see is if the sockets change the signals into something not recgnised at the outher end. If the signals go in, pass down the line & come out unchanged then it might be worth trying.I don't know enough about networking protocols to know if it would change the signals)

Any thoughts?

Stoobie

• 01-23-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Re: Is it possible to extend masterlink via home powerline network adaptors?

I don’t know that much about Masterlink and Beonet, but it’ll have to be compatible with Ethernet to work with those powerline adapters.

Is that cable just for using network cable to transfer the Masterlink signal, or is it some new fancy Beonet stuff that works on a normal computer network?

• 01-23-2011 4:12 PM In reply to

mhw:
    Is that cable just for using network cable to transfer the Masterlink signal

Yes, it's just a cable adapter.

Those power line network adapters are designed to carry Ethernet over power lines. Masterlink has nothing to do with Ethernet so it won't work.

Entering the unveiled area, I think the "Beonet" concept might actually be based on Gigabit Ethernet some time in the future, but these current powerline adapters won't carry it either.

So in short - forget it. For Masterlink applications, your only options are still Beolink Wireless, or hard wires.

-mika

• 01-23-2011 6:37 PM In reply to

I thought 'BeoNet' needed CAT7 cabling and as far as I can guess the Power Line Adaptors, as they are different at Layer 1 (network nerds wake up!) would it work anyway?

Mind you I also guess we will never know if it will work until someone actually tries it!

:-s

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 01-24-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

If the cables weren't quite so much I'd give it a try because if it doesn't work I can use the Powerline Adaptors instead of wireless to connect my Laptop to the network and get a better result when on the web on that. I have been thinking of getting a couple for a while now.

So, I have justified the cost of the adaptors Big Smile.................. now trying to justify the cost of the cables to myself at the moment Whistle.........

Stoobie

• 01-25-2011 3:16 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

I guess, since powerline adapter are active components it will not work.

B&O cabling via ethernet is possible - but only using the cables.

Used to have it myself. Check my photo section.

See here:

Best regards

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 01-25-2011 5:54 AM In reply to

Large48:
    I thought 'BeoNet' needed CAT7 cabling and as far as I can guess the Power Line Adaptors, as they are different at Layer 1 (network nerds wake up!) would it work anyway?

I already woke up Stick out tongue Believe me, there's no chance whatsoever that it'll work. I tried hard to come up with an enlightening analogy, but the best I can do is that the end result would be just as useful as using Ethernet as a fishing net...

As Ralf said, the closest thing you can do to combine these worlds is to use physical Ethernet cabling as alternative wiring for Masterlink. Those cable segments will have nothing to do with Ethernet the computer networking system then, and you can't replace parts of it with alternative physical Ethernet mediums (be it power line, wireless, optical, or whatever).

-mika

• 01-25-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

This would be a great solution if it worked.  Unfortunately there is no way on earth that it ever will.

I think the confusion possibly comes from the use of the term "ethernet" to describe a cable, when in fact ethernet is a type of data packet that is sent down a cable.  Because in 98% of cases this cable is CAT5/6 etc, people use the term "Ethernet cable" to reer to anything with an RJ45 plug on the end.

Materlink wil run over a CAT5/6/7 structured cabling system (as will telephones, HDMI, Scart, component, VGA, RS232 etc) but since none of these are using he ethernet protocol, they will never transmit accross a link made with these home plugs which simply send ethernet packets over another medium, in this case the mains cabling in your home.

I treid to keep it fairly clear but fear I may have failed and confused people even more.

Anyway, the thrust of it is that Cat5/6/7 cable, and ethernet are 2 entirely different things, and as such this idea will never work

• 01-25-2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

It would be great if it worked though! Then I'd have a cunning plan to make wireless electricity, involving some wireless access points and some homemade cables... I would become rich!

• 01-25-2011 3:34 PM In reply to

mhw:

It would be great if it worked though! Then I'd have a cunning plan to make wireless electricity, involving some wireless access points and some homemade cables... I would become rich!

Too late, someone has beaten you to it! BBC News Idea.

Stoobie

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)