in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2011 10:08 AM by Copperly. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2011 11:56 AM

Beomaster 8000 and Beomaster 6500

I purchased a Beomaster 8000 along with an 8002 turntable and Beocord 9000 cassette off of Ebay. Total with shipping = $1200.  After buying DIN connections, found that the cassette did not work. The Beomaster 8000 worked for about a week, then one side went out.  I discovered that I am REALLY attached to the design of B&O’s so I took the receiver and cassette to Pyramid Sound ( B&O authorized repair)  in Austin.

Knowing that I like the B&O’s I saw and I purchased a BM 6500 and Beogram 6500 CD so that I would have sounds while I waited for my BM 8000 repairs.  I thought that I could just sell those when mine was fixed. One day later, Pyramid Audio says that the BM 8000 has multiple issues and the FM is intermittent. They can’t repair.

The BC 9000 cassette, they say has a take up reel clutch problem, the part no longer available, they can’t repair. The white plastic part is cracked and split.  

SoundSmith says that they rebuild BM 8000’s for $800-$1000. one year guarantee.  Can anyone comment on rebuilding the BM 8000.

Now, I really need to get the BM 6500 up and running, but have no remotes.  I find no way to operate it without a remote. Can it operate manually and will my 8002 phono be recognized by the BM 6500 when I do acquire remotes.

• 01-23-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 8000 and Beomaster 6500

I am sure that both the 9000 and BM 8000 can be repaired.The problem you will have is finding someone to do it. I would suggest that Martin (Dillen on site) can fix both but the problem will be transporting these items to Denmark. The usual issue with the BM8000 is red capacitors and varaible resistors. However clearly it is not just a matter of replacing as the circuits will need setting up properly.

The 9000 will need new belts and possibly a few parts from a donor unit.The 6500 will recognise the 8002 but you will need an external RIAA as the 6500 does not have one built in, unlike the 8000.  You are rather unlucky, as it is usually the 8002 turntable that simply doesn't work! I had my system serviced not long before I sold it but it will no doubt continue to need servicing through its life. However it should be able to be serviced for many years.

• 01-23-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

Thanks Doctor,

I am looking for a BC 9000 donor. I am concerned about the aging of the plastic parts, even from a donor unit though,  but I like these itmes that much.

Buying a compatible external RIAA,  any suggestions ?

Can the BM6500 somehow be operated manually,  and if not,  will either the Beolink 7000 or Beolink 1000 operate it and the

Beagram 6500CD

Thanks to all

• 01-23-2011 1:14 PM In reply to

Copperly:

Can the BM6500 somehow be operated manually,  and if not,  will either the Beolink 7000 or Beolink 1000 operate it and the

Beagram 6500CD

Manually, you can turn the Beomaster on & off and step the radio channels, and that's it. Useless. You can turn it on to CD and step the CD tracks from the CD player's front panel, though. But no way of changing volume for example!

Either of the remotes you mention will be fine (and even a Beo4, although programming the radio channels is a royal pain with it).

Beolink 7000s are beginning to fall into the "serious collector & all-around nut" category, because they will be needing service at this age, and getting spare parts or someone to repair them is a problem. Even if you find one, I suggest you get a Beolink 1000 in any case - they are the Swiss Army Knife of B&O remotes.

-mika

• 01-23-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

I suggest you get a Beolink 1000 in any case - they are the Swiss Army Knife of B&O remotes.

Yes -  thumbs up I would suggest this is a very sensible idea. It's the remote control all modern B&O remotes are built on, and apart from sheer old-age, they're practically indestructible!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-23-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Hi Copperly,

Welcome to BeoWorld!  I agree with everything Doctor (Peter) and Tournedos (Mika) said.  Don't be discouraged by what Pyramid said, as your Beomaster 8000 and Beocord 9000 will probably be repairable.  As Doctor said, you just need to find a good service tech that will work on the older equipment, and do a good job.  If you find someone that will go through the Beomaster and Beocord, and give it a thorough "tune up", so to speak, you should be able to get many more years of enjoyment out of your equipment! Pyramid seems pretty good for newer equipment and warranty repairs, however they don't seem to like to go through and do much repair work on the older systems.  We used to have a great repair tech in Dallas, but they stopped repairing B&O in the early 2000's.  It's a shame, because they did a really good job with the older equipment.  As far as the US goes, you might try Atlantic Systems in Hanover, MA.  They seem to have a good rep with repairs, and don't seem to mind working on the older equipment.  Their prices also seem "reasonable".  The Gramophone Shoppe in (I believe) Denver, CO also seems to have a pretty good rep.  Unfortunately I don't really know of anyone in Texas anymore, that is good with the older equipment.  If anyone does, I'd love to hear!

As for your 6500 pieces, they are excellent as well, and may be worth adding the 6500 cassette and possibly turntable too.  Once you get the remote(s) for this system, I think you will really come to appreciate it.  It's very good quality, and the modern convenience features it offers is hard to beat.  You shouldn't have a lot of trouble picking up a used Beolink 1000 or even Beo 4 for it.  If you want to spend the money, the Beolink 1000 is actually still available new from B&O dealers.  It's rather expensive though, ~$220.  The Beo 4 is ~$235.

Good luck with both systems, and let us know what you do with them!

Tommy

• 01-23-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

What a great board !  Thanks

I sold off my 70's Marantz equipment years ago, still had my Empire 9000's and albums boxed up and stored. Almost sold my 500+ album collection but became irritated with that when folks wanted to pick through them, so I nixed that.  Fast forward - I bought my first B&O equipment last month, the BM 8000, 8002 TT, and 9000.  What a great New Years I had hosting friends over,  playing albums, radio and CD's. Amazed at the BM 8000 performance, driving my Empires and it's convenience abilities. 

The next day, is when the problem started with the receiver started. ( the cassette never worked )  Pyramid said there were numerous intermittent problems, one side was cold and the FM only worked intermittently.  As quickly as it all crashed, I don't understand the diagnosis of numerous problems, so I am pretty disenchnted with Pyramid.

Now, the future.  In my opinion, the beauty and function of the BM 8000 is second to none.  There is no way that I can abandon the task of getting this system in order.  Additionally, I have the receipts from Paragon Sound in Toledo Ohio, where Andy "Amos" Anderson purchased it in 84. He was a scientist that worked with Einstein on the Manhattan Project.

So, now, I will be calling Gramaphone and looking for a donor unit for the Beocord 9000, unless Gramaphone has other ideas.

Also, I will get a remote for the BM 6500, as it is apparent that the BM 8000 won't accomodate CD's. So I will be having a have a backup receiver.

Will keep you informed.  Thanks   

• 01-23-2011 6:02 PM In reply to

Copperly:
    Additionally, I have the receipts from Paragon Sound in Toledo Ohio, where Andy "Amos" Anderson purchased it in 84. He was a scientist that worked with Einstein on the Manhattan Project.

Now that's some heritage! I would keep it even as a static display piece Laughing

As others have said, I'm sure it can be repaired - just be patient until you find the right place to do that.

-mika

• 01-24-2011 12:48 AM In reply to

Dont ever give up on these.

I've just finished the renovation of BM,BG,BGCD 6500 with RL 140 speakers and its a wonderful equipment, the sound that comes out there is the best I've heard to date, from the BM 6500 you can run passive and active speakers, together or seperate, to test I had connected, RL 140s, Beovox S45, Beolab 8000, no problems whatsoever, the BM got a little hot but I think they tend to do that.

My suggestion: find a good repairman in your area, if he doesn't know BO, sign you or him up as a silver or gold member, get the manuals and get going, use the forum when needed, all of us are or was in the same situation as you are now and we do help where we can.

Keep them alive, as Martin (screen name Dillen) says.

The last option, send them to Dillen in DK or let me  with the help of this fantastik forum give it a try, I'm in Mex. city and antiks does not require custums fees.

Saludos Soren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 01-24-2011 1:56 AM In reply to

On the CD front, I used a CDX with my 8000 and it works very well. It uses the 14 bit TDA1540 DAC but sounds very warm and almost analogue. I no longer have the 8000 system but still use the CDX with my much older 5000 system.

• 01-24-2011 3:50 AM In reply to

I'm also a owner of Beomaster 8000 and 6500. In fact I got 2 of each 4 in total.

When the BM8000 is working it sounds wonderfull but the drawbacks are the space it takes. I also have CDX which actually came with the rosewood BM8000 and I do like how it sounds and work owerall combined.

Now its not all coolness and ready for listning but rather finding a repair man that can handle early '80s B&O which is time consuming and not alot of people knows how to do basic electronic skills right. Mostly its more based on can we just replace the whole part instead going trough capistors and soldering to find the faults. For a CDX/CD50 they will say the lazer is gone when in fact its not.

It's getting harder to find a BM8000 without faults that is mostly due to age or non qualified electronic service.

I think I have had my fair share of faulty B&O but its always a joy when its been serviced correctly.

• 01-24-2011 11:20 AM In reply to

I am in Texas, USA.

Gramophone in Denver states that many micrprocessor parts and transistors are no longer available to restore BM 8000's

SoundSmith is very busy and is accepting voicemail inquiries.  I am awaiting their return call, but,  if Gramophone is correct, could it be that SoundSmith re-engineerings and builds some of the component systems. 

I am not giving up on this easily.

• 01-24-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Copperly:

I am in Texas, USA.

Gramophone in Denver states that many micrprocessor parts and transistors are no longer available to restore BM 8000's

SoundSmith is very busy and is accepting voicemail inquiries.  I am awaiting their return call, but,  if Gramophone is correct, could it be that SoundSmith re-engineerings and builds some of the component systems. 

I am not giving up on this easily.

Hi Copperly,

I am in Texas too, and I wish we could find someone here in Texas that specializes in older B&O.  Have you tried Atlantic Systems in Hanover, MA yet?  As I said, they seem to have a pretty good rep, so I would also give them a call and see what they say.  Unfortunately, they are not exactly "close by", but I suppose neither is the Gramophone Shoppe or Sound Smith!  Again, good luck, and let us know how you make out!  Hopefully you can get a Beolink 1000 remote (or other) soon, and start enjoying the 6500!

Tommy

• 01-24-2011 11:20 PM In reply to

Got a brand new, never used,  Beolink 1000 on Ebay for $170.  I never heard back from SoundSmith. Calling Atlantic in the morning.  Thanks

I've been to numerous audio shops around Houston. When I ask if they can restore B & O's, a couple responded " don't see why not"   I just cannot digest that answer.  If they've never worked on them, I'm staying away.

The BL 1000 will arrive soon.  Question:  Is it because the BM 8000 had a phono pre-amp built in that it would play the BG8002 while the BM 6500 will not.

The BM6500 sure seems light to be 110 WPC

• 01-25-2011 1:56 AM In reply to

To be fair, the answer ' I don't see why not' is a good one. The B&O range is just electronics and has the advantage of having good service manuals and are designed to be taken apart. The older equipment uses pretty standard components and those that are less common can isually still be obtained with a little ingenuity.

• 01-25-2011 1:59 AM In reply to

Copperly:

Question:  Is it because the BM 8000 had a phono pre-amp built in that it would play the BG8002 while the BM 6500 will not.

The BM6500 sure seems light to be 110 WPC

Yes, the BM8000 has a built-in pre-amp; the 6500 series had the pre-amp in the BG. 

I'm not sure if the power rating has any direct impact on the weight of an amplifier, but the BM 6500 suffered from B&O's changing approach to specifications in the late 80s and 90s.  It is a 50-60 WPC amplifier when measuring it to the more realistic industry standard that used to apply in the HI FI world (RMS).

As the person who bought Peter's ('the Doctor') old Beolab 8000 system (BM8000/BG8002/BC9000), I'm really sorry to read of your problems.  I only hope you find someone who can repair it.  Even in the UK and Europe, there aren't that many people who are experienced in working with what is very complex kit - some would say as few as three!  However, I also know just how expensive it would be to transport 22kg of BM safely across the globe!

Cleve 

• 01-25-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments about the BM8000 - it is wonderful piece of machinery and I have used mine a great deal more than I expected since it returned from a big restoration job. I did buy the whole 8000 system knowing that it was needing some attention, but them I am lucky enought to live about 45 minutes drive from a certain Mr. T. Jarman!

In fact, both items that went to him are working perfectly (BM8000 and BC8000). The two bits I'm doing myself (BG8000 and M150s) are still in pieces - clearly I should be ashamed of myself!

• 01-25-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

When are we to expect the review of the 8000 in the magazine? I thought you all had one now! That and a comparison review of the 4400 would be nice!

On the heaviness, much of the weight in an amplifier is the transformer, which is extremely large in the 8000. It is rather amusing that the 8000 is rated as 100W into 8 ohms where the 6500 is 110W. Makes you realise that figures mean very little when you hear them in real life!

• 01-25-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

The sound quality from the BM 8000 was great but brief.  With careful shipping and packaging, it will travel to Atlantic systems for restoration this weekend.

Upon return, I will sample the system through a broader spectrum and will provide a review.  My thanks to this board.  B&O systems have reinvigorated me.   If it is cold and rainy for any length of time where you live,  a B&O is a must have.

• 01-25-2011 8:03 PM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Hope they fix up your 8000 well! Keep us updated. The B&O catalog I have for the BM6500 shows it to be rated at 50 watts per channel, which, when compared to the 8000 is probably pretty realistic. Either way, it's still a very good quality, good sounding amp (IMHO), just not quite as good as the 8000!

• 01-26-2011 8:02 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Doctor:

When are we to expect the review of the 8000 in the magazine? I thought you all had one now! That and a comparison review of the 4400 would be nice!

No, David still doesn't have one yet and so the embargo still stands! Naturally Tim and I wind him up as often as we can, but I actually pointed him in the direction of the 8000 system that I now have. When he'd done nothing after 10 days, I grabbed it instead - his loss!

• 01-26-2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Well could you please hold fire until I get an 8000 as well Adam, as I am sure any positive reviews will only launch prices to the moon Surprise Out of interest, is this the same publication that reviewed a Beogram 4000 about 10 years ago?

Olly.

• 01-26-2011 9:47 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Yes, the very same. It has also featured a Beocord 2200 and Beocenter 3500 in the last year and an MMCx cartridge rebuild feature last month. This latter issue should still be in the shops if you're quick enough!

Regarding the Beogram 4000 article, years ago I bought one, boxed at my local car boot sale for £4. I repaired it and used it for a year or so and then decided that I no longer wanted it, so sold it for £50, with which I was very pleased. About two months later, that article came out and prices shot up to about £300. I was not amused - once I realised I was an idiot to have sold it (I know, I know, I should have realised sooner...), it took me ages to find another one I could afford!

• 01-26-2011 10:08 AM In reply to

Since I don't know Jack about sound systems internals,  it is estimated that I will spend $1,100 USD restoring my BM 8000.  I can't wait to write the check so that I have it back in working order.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)