in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-06-2007 4:40 PM by Hagen2000. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2007 3:58 AM In reply to

Re: Cables that make a difference

Puncher:
    philipsmz333:
    Puncher:

Addendum -

In my earlier post I forgot to mention mains cords -

I do find that a reasonable mains cord brings my system to life whereas, without, it just seems lifeless.Wink

Maybe... just maybe, it's all an illusion 

I can see I didn't stick my toungue far enough into my cheekConfused - its definitely not an illusion, without a mains cord my system is entirely lifeless!Laughing

Cheeky! Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

And have you noticed how your sound system just doesn't get going without air?
    (I better be careful. Soon audiophiles could be buying special air mixtures for optimal propagation of soundwaves adjusted to the frequency range).

• 07-04-2007 4:24 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes very cheeky! lol Laughing

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-04-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

ChrDH:

Looks interesting! Which one of the cables would I be needing to connect my Ouverture (Powerlink) to my Rega amp (RCA), bearing in mind that using a normal Din-RCA converter I have to use the 'Line In' cords on the Rca part to get the sound from the Powerlink? (The 'line in' pins on a Din connector is the 'line out' pins in a Powerlink cable).

best regards

Chr.

Hi Christian,

I don't have experience with doing what you require here. I have, however, piped sound out from the Powerlink connector through a regular RCA>DINconverter.

I wonder whether what Bulgarien has done here wouldn't be of assistance to you:

See his thread on the General Forum concerning ICE-power for the masses! 

• 07-04-2007 9:34 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

soundproof:
    ChrDH:

Looks interesting! Which one of the cables would I be needing to connect my Ouverture (Powerlink) to my Rega amp (RCA), bearing in mind that using a normal Din-RCA converter I have to use the 'Line In' cords on the Rca part to get the sound from the Powerlink? (The 'line in' pins on a Din connector is the 'line out' pins in a Powerlink cable).

best regards

Chr.

Hi Christian,

I don't have experience with doing what you require here. I have, however, piped sound out from the Powerlink connector through a regular RCA>DINconverter.

I wonder whether what Bulgarien has done here wouldn't be of assistance to you:

See his thread on the General Forum concerning ICE-power for the masses! 

Hi

I use a regular Din>RCA converter at the moment, just like Bulgarien is dooing. I just thought that the converter cables mentioned in this thread is probably better quality than what I am using at the moment. I should probably get a full Din>RCA converter cable, then I am sure that is will work.

Thanks

Best regards Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-04-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

That's the advantage I found. I eliminated a step in the cable chain, and got better cable in the process, at a fair cost. Think you'll be pleased both with the cables and Flashback's service.

http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/5_Pin_DIN___Phono_Cables.html 

• 07-05-2007 8:52 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Try to look at thees treads

Its shows with lot of pictures and detail all kind of DIN/phono/jack etc. plug  connektion to B&O.  Its all made by  Peter Pan, a helpfull and great B&O writer from Denmark, not by me Wink

B&O plug/connektion  http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32157&P%20N=1

B&O plug  and others kind of connektion  (Ipod/PC/preamp etc. ...)  http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&PN=1

Do you think  B&O DIN cables are expensive, then take a look here Tongue Tied

The new Hi-Line DIN-to-DIN reference interconnect cable  is now available. 0.5 mt.  ($ 1.100,- ),

http://www.naimusa.com/html/1_1_news_archive.html

Prices  http://www.naimusa.com/html/3_cables.html

• 07-05-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

Nice thread so far...

I would like to know if there are high quality DIN connectors available - to replace the connectors on my powerlink cables as well as the females in my BL8000s. The problem is that the B&O connectors (just my personal opinion) are low (consumer) quality and I experience from time to time hum and other problems due to the connectors being oxidized. I have to unplug and replug them several times to get rid of that hum (propably an earthing problem) and retain the full audio quality.

I even thought about of removing all connectors and soldering all cables directly but this seems to be an extreme solution which is quite inflexible.

Anybody else experienced these problems?

Hagen

• 07-05-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

Bulgarien:

Try to look at thees treads

Its shows with lot of pictures and detail all kind of DIN/phono/jack etc. plug  connektion to B&O.  Its all made by  Peter Pan, a helpfull and great B&O writer from Denmark, not by me Wink

Clearly, what Peter Pan doesn't know about cables isn't worth knowing! I see he too links to Flashback Sales for the interconnects, that's reassuring. I think it would be mad to go for the expensive NAIM cables - the nickel connectors from Flashback are superb; as are the ones with gold plating. (Nickel actually more expensive). 

I agree with Hagen about the quality of many of the B&O plugs - they feel brittle and off-benchmark. Some of the cables shown by Peter Pan are of that category -- Flashback's work is leagues above in quality. (Hmmm - I should get a cut from Dave, I think!)

• 07-05-2007 11:51 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Hagen2000:
    Nice thread so far...

I would like to know if there are high quality DIN connectors available - to replace the connectors on my powerlink cables as well as the females in my BL8000s. The problem is that the B&O connectors (just my personal opinion) are low (consumer) quality and I experience from time to time hum and other problems due to the connectors being oxidized. I have to unplug and replug them several times to get rid of that hum (propably an earthing problem) and retain the full audio quality.

I even thought about of removing all connectors and soldering all cables directly but this seems to be an extreme solution which is quite inflexible.

Anybody else experienced these problems?

You could give a try at NEUTRIK, they have gold plated din connectors. But it  will be difficult to get them, most shops don't sell DIN connectors anymore, its a outdated connector from the '70.

Here is a link, but I guess they have more types than this :

http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/level03.aspx?id=204_18467&catId=CatMSDE_audio

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 07-06-2007 12:25 AM In reply to

Chris:

You could give a try at NEUTRIK, they have gold plated din connectors. But it  will be difficult to get them, most shops don't sell DIN connectors anymore, its a outdated connector from the '70.

Well, don't tell NAIM that. You're right in that DIN connectors aren't used as much by other manufacturers, but NAIM swears by them still, and many swear by NAIM.

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/cables.html 

• 07-06-2007 3:38 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    Chris:

Well, don't tell NAIM that. You're right in that DIN connectors aren't used as much by other manufacturers, but NAIM swears by them still, and many swear by NAIM.

Does Naim 5 pol cable work and fit with B&O????

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-06-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

Beolab:

Does Naim 5 pol cable work and fit with B&O????

Regards

I haven't used the specific NAIM cables, but the ones I bought from Flashback are intended for NAIM/QUAD equipment, and fitted my Beomaster 7000 and Beolab 5000 perfectly.
    I'm using RCA PHONO male>5-pin DIN plugs from one DAC to the Beomaster 7000 AUX; and a 5-pin DIN>RCA PHONO female connector to have handy (that had to be connected to TAPE on the Beolab 5000, as the TAPE and AUX active pins are different on that unit).

I'll be looking to get an XLR>5-pin DIN cable next, as my other DAC is supposed to have its best output from the XLR connectors. 

Perfect fit, good quality cable, good price.
    Flashback also have a 5-pin DIN>Minijack built to the same standards, good for iPods, etc., yet you'll also find those at Lifestyle (from Bosscom). 

• 07-06-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    Chris:

I was not comparing the air-PLUG connector with the normal din-plug. There is no comparison between both, the air-PLUG has Hi-End build quality and most interesting as I quote: " a design to reduce eddy current effects and a cable clamping mechanism that doesn’t squash the cable and affect the impedance". A normal din-plug is missing this great quality.

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 07-06-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

Chris:

Here is a link, but I guess they have more types than this :

http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/level03.aspx?id=204_18467&catId=CatMSDE_audio
    Hi Chris,

thanks for the link - they appear to be better quality than the standard stuff available in electronic shops.
    But I still miss females that can be mounted on printed circuit boards - I think I would need them if I should really go to replace the females in my BL8000s (these seem to be the worst ones).

Hagen

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2