in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2012 5:04 PM by vikinger. 123 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 quality

Abz:

I am so pleased this forum has gotten very active over the past month or so.  Thanks to all the participants, no exception.

Cheers

+1

I was starting to think it was waning a little, and that Beoworld was starting on a downward spiral...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 12-21-2011 3:21 AM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Paul Winn:

Hi Linder,

In terms of small but mighty impressive for me, the BOSE Accoustimass AM5 speakers at £400 with a £200 amp take one heck of a lot of beating. One of my radio stations has been using a pair since 1988. I still think these take a lot of beating in terms of crystal clear treble and bass. 

If B&O were to fit a bas and treble control on the back of the BS8 im sure they would address the problem I have with them and don't laugh, Pioneer are offering this on the back on their active speakers!

Paul, you can change things soundwise quite a bit using the Ipod nano in my case. I.e go into settings and playing around with the various Equalizer options.  Sandy

• 12-21-2011 5:58 AM In reply to

BeoGreg:

It's not every day that I say good things on a product, so you can believe me. INCREDIBLE PRODUCT.

Well done Struer.

Gregory

Thanks Gregory!

-Struer

Wink

• 12-21-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

• Lanny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

I agree. It sounds great. 

• 12-21-2011 8:26 AM In reply to

Hi Sandy,

Yes I tried the equaliseer settings on my Nano. This ime around, I couldnt find the 3 B&O settings that usually appear on the Nano's display - ive got the lateest software which has given me the brand new Nano's features & layout.

I did occur to me that it would sound a lot better using my MacBook due to the manual equaliser settings in iTunes!

Just to stop some of the boys crying, I love the design of the BS8 as i've said before, so it's not al bad ;)

Thank you Abz too for your pieces.

Anyway, Happy Christmas everyone! I'm skiing over Christmas so there's a possibility I may bump into a few BeoWorlders ;)

• 12-21-2011 9:09 AM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Paul Winn:

Hi Sandy,

Yes I tried the equaliseer settings on my Nano. This ime around, I couldnt find the 3 B&O settings that usually appear on the Nano's display - ive got the lateest software which has given me the brand new Nano's features & layout.

I did occur to me that it would sound a lot better using my MacBook due to the manual equaliser settings in iTunes!

Just to stop some of the boys crying, I love the design of the BS8 as i've said before, so it's not al bad ;)

Anyway, Happy Christmas everyone! I'm skiing over Christmas so there's a possibility I may bump into a few BeoWorlders ;)

What are the 3 B&O settings you mention?

sandy

• 12-21-2011 9:14 AM In reply to

Hi Sandy,

According the the B&O website FAQ section check this out...

Apart from this, you can make settings on your iPod/iPhone when it is docked in BeoSound 8; Select ‘Settings’, then ‘Speakers’ – You can then choose between the 3 equalizer settings:
    'Sound Enhance', 'Flat' and 'Bass Tilt'.
    When your iPod/iPhone is undocked, the sound adjustment resets to 'Flat'.

I couldn't this time around since the iPod software update find these as im sure the 'Sound Enhance' would probably of helped.   

• 12-21-2011 9:25 AM In reply to

Hi guys

I've been reading this with interest and can't help jumping in with my opinion since I now own a Zeppelin (pre-Airplay version) and a Beosound 8.

I bought the BS8 to replace the Zeppelin in my lounge. The Zeppelin then got moved to my bedroom. I stream from my mac over Airplay to them both simultaneously - they are both connected to an airport express and between them they fill my open-plan flat with sound from either end.

When I first got the BS8 home from Selfridges, I was disappointed with the sound and thought it compared unfavourably to the Zeppelin. However, after a couple of days running in, I completely changed my opinion and the BS8 now sounds much richer - the sound seems more 'rounded' somehow. Both will happily go much louder than I would ever inflict on my neighbours.

As for the remotes I think they are pretty similar, but the BS8 one has the advantage that you don't actually have to point it at the dock, unlike the Zeppelin. Must work with rf rather than infra-red. They both do the job they were designed to do.

The BS8 is nearly twice the price of the Zeppelin. Do I think it's twice as good? Probably not. But it's definitely better, and I love it. So it was worth every penny. :-)

Next step will probably be to get a pair of BL3's for the lounge, move the BS8 to the bedroom and put the Zeppelin on eBay. But that will have to wait for a future bonus!

• 12-21-2011 9:41 AM In reply to

great advice Rickie - Thank you!

• 12-21-2011 10:17 AM In reply to

No problem Paul. And thanks for the tip about the sound settings when your i-thing is docked - the manual makes no mention of that! I'll have to give it a go.

The Zeppelin does something similar with the base settings (mine is set to -1, and the BS8 to 'wall'), but that has the advantage that it remembers the settings when you take the iphone out of the dock, which seems far more sensible!

One thing I would say is don't judge the sound of the BS8 by the accoustics in Selfridges - it sounds completely different at home!

• 12-21-2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

RickieH:
    When I first got the BS8 home from Selfridges, I was disappointed with the sound and thought it compared unfavourably to the Zeppelin. However, after a couple of days running in, I completely changed my opinion and the BS8 now sounds much richer - the sound seems more 'rounded' somehow. Both will happily go much louder than I would ever inflict on my neighbours.

Thanks Rickie,

And I thought my experience was loony.  You just confirmed it was rather stellar. lol. 

• 12-21-2011 11:00 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

Cheers Paul.  Merry Xmas to you too. Enjoy safe skiing.

• 12-21-2011 11:14 AM In reply to

Hi Abz thank you very much - it will certainly be interesting DJing again there using an iPhone and DJ software!!!

Thanks Rickie. Yes, I took the BS8 in their little demonstration room. Got to say the young Sales Exec was excellent and a great listener - he certainly didn't have an easy customer. I do remember Michael finding these 3 settings on his BS8 and finding the 'enhanced' settings quite favourable!

Maybe I can get one of my stations to invest in one for our reception a then i'll try it for a long weekend :)

• 12-22-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

• jjcox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2009
    • Midden-Brabant, the Netherlands
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

Well, let's add my 2 cents.

I'm using a Zeppelin (pre-Air) in the office, a Zeppelin Mini (pre-Air) in the kitchen and a BS8 in the home office. 

When I last docked my iPhone to the Zeppelin in the office, I couldn't help but feeling it was incredibly 'boomy'. I missed a lot on the high-end, which I do get on the BS8. instead, I got a huge bass, making my music feel like rap played on a ghetto blaster. The BS8 seems to be a lot more balanced than the Zeppelin. I only noticed this boomyness though, when I got the BS8. Before that, I thought the Zeppelin sounded terrific. Now, I think it's terrible.

The Zeppelin mini though, I find really nice. Sure, it's smaller and really cannot play as loud, but the sound is a lot more balanced. Problem with the Mini is that the sound is less 'articulated'. It's harder to really feel there are different instruments playing, everything is more just mixed together. But in a nicely balanced way.

Soundwise, I would rate the BS8 first, the Zeppelin Mini second and the regular Zeppelin a long way back in third place.

Designwise, well, that's all just a personal opinion. I like them all.

Joeri

• 12-23-2011 1:41 PM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

Apart from this, you can make settings on your iPod/iPhone when it is docked in BeoSound 8; Select ‘Settings’, then ‘Speakers’ – You can then choose between the 3 equalizer settings:
    'Sound Enhance', 'Flat' and 'Bass Tilt'.
    When your iPod/iPhone is undocked, the sound adjustment resets to 'Flat'.

I have tested the 'Sound Enhance' setting, and it does make music more appealing for weaker recordings.  It sounds pretty much like the loudness thing on some integrated amps. It extends the upper and lower ends.  That said, this is done at the expense of the mids.  Instruments (particularly classical strings) did not sound natural with the enhancement.  It also distorted the lower end with some recordings, particulary Tango with heavy doubl bass.

• 12-23-2011 1:57 PM In reply to

Hey Abz that's very interesting because my old Century sounded so much better with the loudness switch on as did my old BeoMaster 1900!

Thank you for that!

• 12-31-2011 3:49 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Happy New Year to all BEOWORLDERs

I wish all members success and happiness in 2012

I pray for a year with less hunger, less hatred, less greed and less wars

A year of caring, sharing, loving, and giving

• 12-31-2011 4:32 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I have recently ditched my Iphone for a Nokia 800. Until the software update due in January that corrects its appaling MP3 playback it is a sound phone(I can now make calls without them failing half way through!!!! Novelty or what)

It has a micro USB port for charging and data thus excluding its use on the Beosound 8 ie it can't be mounted on the attachement. But as all new mobiles in the very near future will have this generic charging/data station, it surely won't be long before all the Ipads/Iphones that are mounted on the 8 are replaced or fail thus making the current port out of date. Apart from using the 3.5mm plug that i would have to use, is there a Apple female-micro USB male available?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 12-31-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

Chris - YES my new iPhone 4s came with a simple apple plug and play that simply plugs into the 30 pin and then has the mini USB on the other end! This is being provided to all iPhone4s in Europe.

Replacing the iconic iPhone with a Nokia? Shocking shocking shocking!

Do you use Orange network? Ive never ever had any problem with this excellent service provider! 100 out of 100 for service, reception and quality of calls!

• 12-31-2011 10:07 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Tod Daniel:

Replacing the iconic iPhone with a Nokia? Shocking shocking shocking!

So "iconic" that everyone+dog has one. Something becomes very uncool when you see them everywhere, even 11-year-old kids have an iPhone.

Roll on something different.

• 12-31-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

@moxxey  you mean something like a Serenetta or Serene  haha!

Must be very rich kids to have an iPhone as the plans are still expensve or £500 for sim free

• 01-02-2012 5:16 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Chris:
    I have recently ditched my Iphone for a Nokia 800. Until the software update due in January that corrects its appaling MP3 playback it is a sound phone(I can now make calls without them failing half way through!!!! Novelty or what)

Hi Chris,

Hope your new year is upto a good start. 

I take it that you have got the Lumia 800 which runs Windows Mobile .  If this is the case, you have got yourself a very nice phone that has full voice functionality (SMS creation and response, follow up on calls, messages, meetings, etc.)  I woudl be interested to know if it does use voice with media as well.  Historically, Nokia and Ericsson had great telephony and SMS functionality.  They seem to have continued this tradition.  The sound quality via the 3.5mm outlet would always be inferior compared to USB or the iPhone port.  So, it may not be a software problem.  However, your challenge will not be finding the adaptor that allows you to use the BS8 from the top.  This time it is the funcaitonality of the operating system on the your device because the device will change the tracks and increase the volume though it is you who hold the remote control.  BS8 has a mini USB port near the 3.5mm socket as well as a line-level input around the back.  However, the USB port should be controlled from Windows or MAC operating system once the drivers are loaded on the personal computer.  The new Windows Mobile machine has to be able to do the same.  If you have not sold the iPhone, you may keep using it as an audio playback device while using the new Nokia for business and social networking etc. Good luck and please write an update :).

• 01-02-2012 5:27 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Yes it is the Lumia, and a very good phone it is(much better reception). The built in FM radio and Mix Radio sound fine but playback of MP3 is terrible. Nokia are releasing an update in January to improve this and release more juice from the battery. I ditched my Iphone no problem but the Ipad is a different matter, so if and when i get an 8 (or the Beolit 12Erm) i will use that. Still a big fan of Apple tv.

Syncing my photos and music are exactly the same as if i was using my Iphone, so i still use Itunes/Iphoto. Trying to find an Ical to Windows calender program!

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-02-2012 5:04 PM In reply to

Just listened to the Radio 4 Gerald Hoffnung play on BBC iPlayer through the iPad docked on the BS8.

The sound quality is astonishing: even though we've got the loudness/wall setting to give a good bass, speech is not compromised and is crystal clear. There's also plenty of power reserve...... we were sat about 30ft away in a fully carpeted room with more than adequate volume at around a mid setting.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 5 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5