in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2012 5:04 PM by vikinger. 123 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-17-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 8 quality

Tim:

And the remote of the B&W Zeppelin is far superior to the one delivered with the BS8 too. Do not waste your time with the overpaid B&O stuff!

I disagree about the remote. The BS8 remote is better, IMHO.

However, one advantage the BS8 has over the Zeppelin is the support for your iPad. And colourful frets :) No kidding, but from someone who likes a bit of colour around the home, the all-black Zeppelin isn't as appealing.

When my BV10-46 arrives in a couple of weeks, off will go the black fret, to be replaced with the red fret instead. BV10-46 with a red fret looks ace.

• 12-17-2011 7:58 AM In reply to

Moxxey, the orange grilles on the BS8 look amazing fantastic!!!

I managed to have a full 'private' play with the BS8 on Thursday.  Sorry I havnt had the chance to post yet so incredibly busy.  Must say, I was shocked with that cheap B&O remote though, super cheap plastic and very un-B&O... review to come :)

• 12-17-2011 9:23 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

Must say, I was shocked with that cheap B&O remote though, super cheap plastic and very un-B&O... review to come :)

It's completely fine for me. In fact, I'm more positive than negative. Good feel to it, good weight, does what it needs to do. Works well. No complaints.

• 12-17-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Paul Winn:

Must say, I was shocked with that cheap B&O remote though, super cheap plastic and very un-B&O... review to come :)

It's completely fine for me. In fact, I'm more positive than negative. Good feel to it, good weight, does what it needs to do. Works well. No complaints.

Cheap looking remote: I wouldn't had minded a metal base like Beo 4 ...

But controlling the Beosound 8 as docking station by remote I only need Volume up/down, on/off, next/previous title/radio station.

And that is offered by this tiny remote, which ist not too bulky on my breakfast table.

And it works fine without too much explanation in other people's hands.

iPoditiv

• 12-17-2011 11:59 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

I was just kidding, just look at my avatar imho the beosound remote is by far the best designed remote of any ipod-dock so far. 

• 12-17-2011 1:01 PM In reply to

Tim:

I was just kidding, just look at my avatar imho the beosound remote is by far the best designed remote of any ipod-dock so far. 

I agree ... if it used the same codes etc as the Beo4 I would buy several just to have them in convenient places 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-19-2011 6:57 AM In reply to

i personally find the beosound 8 strange to look at...

i was looking at all the ipod docks at an electronics store and i found the zeppelin to be the most appealing when it came to the design. I am disappointed by the design and build of Beosound 8. It looks very strange like two giant horns looking at you. And it looks fragile compared to say the Beosound 1. This is the first time I like another brand more than B&O...But if i were to get an ipod dock i would probably get the Zeppelin. If the beosound 8 does indeed sound as incredible as some people say I may reconsider. I may warm up to the design later on who knows and to be fair there is a nice alluminum finish on the chassis but I think the Zeppelin is more beautiful.

Also someone on this site said that the back of the Beosound 8 was made from the soft touch plastic as seen on the Beosound 4 and Serene...well it's not.

• 12-19-2011 9:01 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

foamywax:

But if i were to get an ipod dock i would probably get the Zeppelin. If the beosound 8 does indeed sound as incredible as some people say

I don't think anyone is implying it's incredible - it's no BL3/BL9/BL5 beater. In fact, I's below the BL4000s. It just produces very good sound from a fairly low cost (for B&O) product.

Opinions are objective. No-one is going to view the same product in the same way. I like the Zeppelin, but the fact that everyone has one (I know a lot of people with them!) and there are no swappable colours etc, encouraged me to get the BS8. I'm not completely sold by the BS8 design either, but there are other factors that swing the decision for me. Just.

• 12-19-2011 5:04 PM In reply to

well i just saw it again and i like it..but it is one of the quirkiest B&O designs. But it seems to be selling well so that's a good sign. And for a B&O product it's actually a really good price. I think that the zeppelin is more elegant aesthetic wise whereas the Beosound 8 is more odd looking. Why is this made in China and not DenmarK? Why did they do this? Are they not capable of producing enough units in Denmark?

• 12-19-2011 5:56 PM In reply to

Foamywax one simple reason why it is assembled in China. Profit!

I actually love the design of it. The orange speaker grilles made it look amazing but oh boy, it doesn't deliver on the sound. 

I had a full demonstration of it with my iPod and top quality files in Selfridges. First things first, great new make over in Selfridges for the B&O stand. Fitting comfortably between the Apple stand and Loewe. Top marks to the new younger sales exec who was thoroughly excellent at listening to my needs etc - top guy.

Unfortunately when it came to the sound. One word - bland. 

To me it was unexciting, flat, boring and not capable of going very loud. Probably suited to clasical or jazz music but lost with a more upbeat soundtrack.

I love the BS8 for it's looks but it is no more than a £500 system selling for £900  and that horrible horrible remote  now that was nasty!

Jonathan, thank you for your recommendation and yes, i totaly agree with you.

To sum up for me, the BS8 would look awesome in my apartment as a piece of art... but please don't make me listen to it...

• 12-19-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

foamywax:

Why is this made in China and not DenmarK? Why did they do this? Are they not capable of producing enough units in Denmark?

I do not understand the problem with producing goods in China. They simply do what they are specified to do, to exacting standards and using the materials they are required to use. The factory doesn't choose the back of the BS8, that's a B&O design decision. Most luxury clothing brands now produce much of their middle-tier products in China. Apple have also. We don't see Apple saying "crikey, these products are sub-standard. If only we moved our factories to Denmark, can you imagine how much better our products would manufactured!".

It's just snobbery, nothing more. It's just the snob value that we feel that "made in Denmark" must be superior to "made in China". It's funny really.

We're all worrying about how B&O will fare in future and there they are a) selling 50,000+ BS8s and b) making a good profit from them, but here you are knocking this business practice. Perhaps it's the first right thing they've done for a long time.

• 12-19-2011 6:21 PM In reply to

I agree. China actually has some of the best factories in the world! They manufacture to your exacting standards and budget, so if you design poorly or choose to pay for a lower level of quality this is not the Chinese factory's fault...

I used to work in the clothing industry, and we'd get all of our woolen knitwear made in China (with Australian wool of courseYes -  thumbs up) because they had the best gauge machinery in the world. The level of consistant quality could not be equalled or bettered by anyone in the world!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 12-19-2011 6:27 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

...but oh boy, it doesn't deliver on the sound. 

Sorry, but your credibility has just gone right out of the window Paul. Having owned BL3s, BL9s and BL5s I'm fairly well placed to say the audio quality from the BS8 is good to very good, and I mean by B&Os standards. Other higher profile users have commented that the sound quality is excellent - you're the only person who, not only says it isn't great, even goes as far as it doesn't deliver on the sound.

Most of the commercial reviews I've seen of the BS8 says it well and truly delivers on the sound. The only consistent negative I read about is the cost - they think that almost double the price of the Zeppelin makes it less compelling. 

WTF were you listening to? What where you expecting? Sounds like to me you went in expecting BL5 standard and came out disappointed.

It's a £890 product. For B&O that's a cheap. But it definitely beats the BL4s and almost reaches the far more expensive BL4000s in audio capability. I listen to my BL3s all day every day - and these are sonically very rich - but I wouldn't say I listen to the BS8 and then think "that doesn't deliver!".

Very odd comments. The control isn't nasty. It's a decent small aluminium controller that looks good on the desk.

I do wonder about your posts at times. Almost come across as a bit schizo. Sorry, but that's the message you give. You swing from being immensely positive (mostly about the design), to very negative (mostly about the cost) and then back again.

• 12-19-2011 6:46 PM In reply to

hey i never said that it was a bad thing having the beosound 8 made in china and not denmark! i was curious as to WHY it is made in China And not Denmark...because B&O USUALLY  manufacture their products in Denmark!

I have nothing against the Chinese except for the fact that they eat snakes and dogs for dinner!!

• 12-19-2011 6:54 PM In reply to

I very much doubt that B&O would release a product that sounds crappy. They invest so much money and time into their products...everybody knows this. I'm actually surprised to hear people say the Beosound 8 is superior to the beosound 1 soundwise..i'd rather have the 8 than a pair of beolab 4's... why are the beolab 4's more expensive? they aren't even shielded speakers. they have the beolink option but that's about it...sorry for the rambling but i love comparing B&O products. i find it interesting. Some of their products are definitley worth more bang for the buck than others.

• 12-19-2011 7:00 PM In reply to

Moxxey - I guess we all have our own ideas but having been used to top end pro equipment for our radio stations all i can say is it is very hard to justify the price of B&o's equipment when it comes to audio performance. I've never said that i was happy with the BS8 in terms of sound quality. it's poor - simple.  Maybe if you guys listened to other brands you'd probably hear why im just not impressed with the B&O sound for their stupid prices. Period - there's better out there for much less. Put in another way - if B&O were that good in sound then why aren't they used in the professional market???

• 12-19-2011 10:00 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

@Paul

what other brands are you talking about?

I am curious so I can audition these pieces!!!!!

Last I remember Paul you were talking about buying a BS8!!! I am glad I don't have you for a client! ;)

I agree with moxxey, the BS8 is a nice piece.

Just out of curiosity, have you listened to anything else in the lineup? I just wonder if you like any of the B&O products? Not just the design.. The sound... What kind of professional products are you comparing B&O to?

I genuinely want to check it out. I have a SUBSTANTIAL investment in this B&O stuff and want to hear what is so much better!

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 12-20-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    all i can say is it is very hard to justify the price of B&o's equipment when it comes to audio performance

Hi Paul, I am sure you are right.

But my criteria are not just a single criterion of the audio ... and to be honest at the rate my ears and eyes are deteriorating I am absolutely useless as a judge in those departments.

But I do enjoy adding to my collection; I enjoy talking to B&O sales people and visiting the stores (I was there today, and I was asked "are you a fanatic" *LOL*); I do appreciate the audio and the visual (I just acknowledge I am not qualified to be a judge); I usually love the design elements; I love the systems integration capability; and I really really enjoy the warm friendship of Beoworld.

Those are the reasons I have bought ... and I continue to buy.

Ed

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-20-2011 3:13 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

$

Paul Winn:
    Unfortunately when it came to the sound. One word - bland. 

Paul,

I thought the same when I first brought the BS8 home.  Now, I wish I could have another at the office.  BS8 definitely sounds better after some warm up / burn in.  That said, BS8 will never ever stand in the league of any BL from B&O. 

• 12-20-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

• BeoGreg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2008
    • South of France
    • Posts 139
    • Gold Member

After years of "admiring" my B & O equipments, two friends of mine recently purchased the same white with light grey frets BS8.

Of course they where proud to announce me that good news. Of course I was a little bit anxious for the responsability.

What if the chinese product was bad ? (I never mentionned to them it was chinese by the way).

First friend as a very big country house and the BS8 sits high in the middle of the main living room. Second friend as a not so big/ not so small modern flat and the BS8 sits on the floor.

In both places we have done what you can call a big party (twenty or so adults talking and drinking and dancing...).

In both places I've done the "DJ", playing with an Ipad2 with music from youtube clips or an Iphone4 from my oldest son music library wich must be very poor in quality (he is doing mp3 tracks from youtube clips for example).

In both places BS8 WAS ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC. It filled the room with a warm and rich sound at volume very very loud.

That product is so good that since then I whant one and I actually have a BS9000 with BL8000 !

Actual price 1.090 € : a pure bargain in term of B & O.

It's not every day that I say good things on a product, so you can believe me. INCREDIBLE PRODUCT.

Well done Struer.

Gregory

Since 1995 : Beosound Century, Beolink 1000, Beocom 2400, Beovision MX 6000, Beocord VX 7000, Beo 4, LC2, Beosound Ouverture, Beolab 2500, Beocom 6000, Beolab 8000, Beosound 9000, Beovision Avant 32, Keyring, Bottle opener, Beosound 2, A8, Beosound 3, Beovision 10-40, Beo 4 Navigation, BeoTime, Beocom 5, Form 2...  

• 12-20-2011 6:16 AM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Moxxey - I guess we all have our own ideas but having been used to top end pro equipment for our radio stations all i can say is it is very hard to justify the price of B&o's equipment when it comes to audio performance. I've never said that i was happy with the BS8 in terms of sound quality. it's poor - simple.  Maybe if you guys listened to other brands you'd probably hear why im just not impressed with the B&O sound for their stupid prices. Period - there's better out there for much less. Put in another way - if B&O were that good in sound then why aren't they used in the professional market???

Paul - i have to say i see what Moxxey and others are saying - you refer to the wish to own B&O  lot, but hint all the time that it is overpriced, sub-standard and generally outperformed by "pro" kit that you hear at work.

You refer in passing to what you hear at work bein so much better - yet in my experience, much pro kit is VASTLY overpriced for what it does - and is actually unsuitable for domestic roles as much studio kit is designed for a very flat, neutral response.  I gather you work in commercial radio, with a preference for dance/urban music - much of which is highly compressed, mixed with loads of "boom & tizz" (to sound good in cars, earphones & clubs)  so maybe that has skewed your point of reference ?

Just so you know, whilst I don't work in a radio station, I recently left the B&O distribution and worked at a legendary & much  respected music venue for over a year (before returning to education in Sept as a mature student)

For what its worth, in the last 25 yrs I have therefore spent a lot of time specifying and installing B&O kit - I also worked extensively with many high end UK brands (Naim, Linn, AE, Rega, Arcam, Chord, - all these, inc B&O, are  brands that I have been in tech meetings at the respective factories - where they are VERY serious about sonic performance)

I have also specified and installed audio in the homes of several high profile musicians - some world renowned in their genre - and spent time in a few studios owned by the same.   The sound is, on the whole, a bit crap, imo.

The music venue I worked at recently is similarly respected as world class for audio - both on stage and in the studio facilities based there - the stage kit isn't relevant here (other than it adds to my sonic reference points) but the studio certainly is. 

Lab 5's far exceed the performance of (I would say) 75% of pro-studio sound.  For a similar or lower cost.  You can't really compare most beolabs though - designed for domestic applications, not commercial use, with all the amplification and cabling implications - its like comparing a push bike to a lorry to a pair of roller skates - they do related, but different, things.

Most of the "pro" small near-field monitors in studios are a bit rubbish, imo and can be bettered by many UK or B&O systems domestically.  Louder is not better, its just louder.

I'm not having a pop here - but the constant "I hear 'pro' stuff and its great"  hints are a bit naff, imo - it is comparing apples & oranges.

Finally - back in my dealer days, I organised an in-store event whereby a world class musician played in-store via the Beolab 5's - he said at the time it was just about the best sound he had heard from his (very expensive, bespoke)  instruments and I have to say I was surprised just how well they performed.  In fact, B&O came along and we subsequently met with the artist with a view to arranging a mini tour around a few shops to do a similar event - this never came to pass, but it was interesting to get his reaction.

I have spoken with that musician several times since at various festivals and venues , and he still talks about how enjoyable/different the evening was for him, and also how impressed he was with the sound on the night

Why do B&O not appear in more pro set ups ?? Well, because B&O don't make/market  a range of specific studio/pro speakers like, say B&W, AE,Bose (!!), MA,  etc  - not sure why not, but they don't.  A guy from B&W was interviewed on R4 a couple of weeks back - he admitted they have only sold ONE pair of the big, flagship Nautilus speakers in the UK - and that the benefit is in the "trickle" down impact on small audio sales.

The performance isn't the issue imo,  its the design elements and the use of active electronincs.  That said, the sound pressure levels required in some pro applications are not what B&O design for - and even when the s/p levels would be fine (say lab4000 or lab 3 as near field monitors)  most beolabs will not sit readily on the end most studio rigs as they are active, so not a straight swap to change from XXX brand of studio monitors - most of which are passive ( or active via external amps) as the cabling is not compatible.  

back on topic - A Beosound 8 offers a great combination of aesthetics, performance and (relative) value..... but if you would rather use separate two channel amp, some "pro" speakers and the line-in, then just buy that instead.

• 12-20-2011 9:53 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Not to gang up on Paul, but I've stopped reading his posts except for their humor value.  I love it, I hate it, etc.  Usually, when I decide I don't like a product, I just move along...  I wish you well, we're all entitled to our opinions and if everybody agreed then this site would be boring so keep it up, we need "characters" around here to keep it interesting Smile

Back on topic (sort of)...  I don't have an opinion of the BS8, but I had some musicians and an "audiophile" over the other night, and eventually, the topic turned to my 11 yr old BL1s, and they demanded an audition (I think the "audiophile" may have been trying to embarass me since B&O is widely "known" as style over substance, and I've never been one to push my "toys" on visitors)...  they all walked away quite favorablly impressed - one even seriously considering looking into getting his own, and Mr "audiophile" definitely changed his tune... yah, B&O stinks Wink

Cheers,

Stan

• 12-20-2011 11:08 AM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Moxxey, the orange grilles on the BS8 look amazing fantastic!!!

I managed to have a full 'private' play with the BS8 on Thursday.  Sorry I havnt had the chance to post yet so incredibly busy.  Must say, I was shocked with that cheap B&O remote though, super cheap plastic and very un-B&O... review to come :)

When you write your review, I would be interested to know what you think would be a better product for £900 or less.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-20-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

folkdeejay:
    Most of the "pro" small near-field monitors in studios are a bit rubbish, imo and can be bettered by many UK or B&O systems domestically.  Louder is not better, its just louder.
    folkdeejay:

I have also specified and installed audio in the homes of several high profile musicians - some world renowned in their genre - and spent time in a few studios owned by the same.   The sound is, on the whole, a bit crap, imo.

A race car is for a race track, a truck for hauling truck loads, studio equipment for studios and near field flat listening.  Flat as studio monitors are, they are intended to be accurate and transparent but not necessarily comfortable or pleasant to the ear. In studios, what your monitors are good at is exactly what your mix will be bad at.  The truthfulness of the sound there has a lot to do with the producer who delivers music so to please the millions who do not have 'audiophile' gear. So, it is this simple: recordings are but rather on the gear in the car, in the living room, in the kitchen (not on BS8, but on my grandmum's 3 inch radio speakers), and portable audio devices such as iPod and Walkman.  Now, the job of your home system is to get the most of that.  I cannot claim that I know, but I would assume the listening panel of any ‘high-end audio’ manufacturer would test the system across the board with various types of music and various recording labels to bring close to being an all-rounder.

I am so pleased this forum has gotten very active over the past month or so.  Thanks to all the participants, no exception.

Cheers

• 12-20-2011 6:06 PM In reply to

Hi Linder,

In terms of small but mighty impressive for me, the BOSE Accoustimass AM5 speakers at £400 with a £200 amp take one heck of a lot of beating. One of my radio stations has been using a pair since 1988. I still think these take a lot of beating in terms of crystal clear treble and bass. 

If B&O were to fit a bas and treble control on the back of the BS8 im sure they would address the problem I have with them and don't laugh, Pioneer are offering this on the back on their active speakers!

Page 4 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >