in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2012 5:04 PM by vikinger. 123 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2011 6:49 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 quality

Tim:

Alex:
    or that the position switch was incorrect

That could easily be the case - with a decent MP3 at 320Kb and direct comparasion the Beosound should easily win against the competition.

About this im not sure. I actually didnt even there is such switch but i would like to think the dealers know how to setup these things...The BS8 was standing on some kind of pedestal, not wall-mounted and not against a wall. Free space in every direction around the Beosound.

-Olli

• 01-19-2011 7:16 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Take your own music with you as well for any demonstration. Obviously music is very subjective.Whistle

ps to the previous poster is "Plevnas" still open?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-19-2011 7:41 AM In reply to

Yes, i did use my own music and tried different docks with the very same files.

Sure it is! You've been there? Such a nice place. :)

• 01-19-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I took my wife there for her birthday some years back on a 99p Ryanair flight, and Tampere was on the list. She wasn't quite expecting the "Big T i t s" bar but i insisted we venture in just to make sure it was a brothel and a bar, and not just lost in translationBig Smile

Loved the place especially the 7 hours drinking in Plevnas

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-20-2011 2:09 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

redfresnel:
    ..The BS8 was standing on some kind of pedestal,

In that case it needs full bass power - the switch is hidden in the back of the beosound "back-compartment" - the funny thing is: it doesn't even has marks on it and is very tiny and hidden in the side (!) of the compartment.

Btw, have you done a direct comparision with bose and B&W?

• 01-20-2011 10:22 AM In reply to

I recently came accross a French review of the BeoSound 8, and the conclusion was that it wasn't worth the money, simply because the sound was good only at low to medium levels, and that things got really bad & with a muffled sound at loud volumes.

I must say I find this typical of most BeoLabs, especially the 6000s or 1s, so I'm not surprised, I guess it comes for the way the ABL works, but I can understand that the "non-B&O-holics" find this unacceptable..Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-20-2011 12:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion:

I recently came accross a French review of the BeoSound 8, and the conclusion was that it wasn't worth the money, simply because the sound was good only at low to medium levels, and that things got really bad & with a muffled sound at loud volumes.

I must say I find this typical of most BeoLabs, especially the 6000s or 1s, so I'm not surprised, I guess it comes for the way the ABL works, but I can understand that the "non-B&O-holics" find this unacceptable..Surprise

Rediculous! If you want speakers which sound good when turned up, then they've got to be big! It's a pretty fundamental rule. The BeoSound 8 will go plenty loud enough to cause issues in a small room as well!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-20-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

burantek:

redfresnel:

tournedos:

My view is that patent applications for silly little obvious things shouldn't be accepted to begin with, but that's US patent office for you...

Agreed. :)

How dare you question the US PATENT OFFICE! Super Angry

Cool! Carry around fresh snacks!

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-21-2011 8:07 AM In reply to

chris:

I took my wife there for her birthday some years back on a 99p Ryanair flight, and Tampere was on the list. She wasn't quite expecting the "Big T i t s" bar but i insisted we venture in just to make sure it was a brothel and a bar, and not just lost in translationBig Smile

Loved the place especially the 7 hours drinking in Plevnas

Smile

I used to live across the street. Big was a great landmark. "Where do you live?" -Well, do you know this address? "Um, nope?" -Do you know where Big is? "Aah, sure!" :) Wink

• 01-21-2011 8:13 AM In reply to

Tim:

redfresnel:
    ..The BS8 was standing on some kind of pedestal,

In that case it needs full bass power - the switch is hidden in the back of the beosound "back-compartment" - the funny thing is: it doesn't even has marks on it and is very tiny and hidden in the side (!) of the compartment.

Ok, right...way to go B&O. (rhymes btw.)

Tim:

Btw, have you done a direct comparision with bose and B&W?

Not direct in the same room.

• 01-22-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

OK, so to confirm where we are.....This is what we all want.

1. The Sound must be good

2. It must play loud. 5kw of power, +110db

3. It must have the correct tones and please French Tech mags

4. Build quality is a must

5. It must me made in Denmark an not China.

6. It must be assembled by the fair hand of Kalle Hvidt Nielsen himself

7. It must be an Apple product and totally compatable with all iPods, now and in the future

8. Must be Beo-Gateway compat, have masterlink (for the dinosaurs who just cant keep up)

9. It must be available in all Apple Stores, B1 shops, Lidl and Costco.

10 It must not be more expensive than the cheapest iPod dock out there. i.e. £10 (incl the Beo6 remote, delivery and installation)

Got that.

• 01-22-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

Why do you want to play at 110db?

• 01-22-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

redfresnel:

Why do you want to play at 110db?

People expect iPod docks to play at silly volumes nowadays. I haven't heard a single one that does so far.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-22-2011 7:51 AM In reply to

I mean, have those people who talk about volumes over 100db at home ever attended a live concert, like ever? :)

• 01-22-2011 7:59 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

redfresnel:

I mean, have those people who talk about volumes over 100db at home ever attended a live concert, like ever? :)

I'm not even sure most people understand that the difference between 100db and 106db is that the latter is in fact a doubling in sound pressure level.

• 11-28-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

I am 11 months late to the discussion.  I have to say recoding quality and taste varies by recording studios / artits / audio engineers / and genre.  I have noticed that some tracks still sound good at low bit rates, while others sound poor at 320.  In the end personal taste rules, and sometimes it becomes collective among groups of people, and this is why so many companies exist in the audio world, particularly the high end. 

I am about to buy the BS8 for portability and speed, and I am quite curious / anxious because I am coming from Vinyl and CD with classical and jazz as the primary genres.  My current setup includs VDH cables and cartridges.  To me, BS8 is the price of XLR interconnect.  So, if the sound is well controlled then it is worth every penny.

Wish me luck

Cheers Cool

• 11-28-2011 9:40 AM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Hi,

To me, the BS8 is an excellent product.

I use it in my 25m2 office at home, and it fills the whole space with pure and deep sound.

I wouldn't have put it in my living-room (60m2) but in a room up to 30m2, I think it does the job.

Cheers,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 11-28-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Abz:

I am about to buy the BS8 for portability and speed, and I am quite curious / anxious because I am coming from Vinyl and CD with classical and jazz as the primary genres.  My current setup includs VDH cables and cartridges.  To me, BS8 is the price of XLR interconnect.  So, if the sound is well controlled then it is worth every penny.

The BS8 as an object is absolutely top-notch. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that B&O aren't selling this device as well as they could.

However, the audio quality is no way near the level of, say, my BL3s. They a good quality speakers, but not superb. I find my BS8 to be quite mid-range and can easily get boomy when positioned near a wall, a corner or near kitchen units. Even with "corner" selected, it's still a bit boomy.

ie. if you are coming from vinyl and really appreciate your audio, then you might be a tiny bit disappointed if you're expecting BL3 or higher level quality via a £900 Beosound 8.

• 11-28-2011 1:12 PM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Eduard

Just got the iPod and the BE8.  So, this is my first non-LP / non-CD experience.  So, I am joining my children now but not wiht the music type, haha.  I will need a few hours to rip music, and update the newly bought iPod to version iOS 5.  I will send my feedback but not in connection with silver balanced interconnects and high end hand-made cartridges from Van den Hul.  Cheers for the encouragement.

• 11-28-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the info Moxxey,

Yes, I agree that the iPod as a source has its limitations, so does the Chinese made BE8.  However, I would expect something better than the mini systems my children use in their study rooms / bedrooms from Technics, Sony, and Logitech.  I will need a few hours to get the setup of my new iPod BE8 going.  I am well aware of what to expect from the low end and the top notch (with pure class A amplification and tube hybrids).  So, I expect the slide bar to be closer to the top.  Everybody has gone portable and I feel quite backwardly already. 

Cheers

• 11-28-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Good luck and please feel free to give us a writeup of what you think!

Olly.

• 11-28-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Abz:

Yes, I agree that the iPod as a source has its limitations

No no. Not at all. The same source (I stream all my audio from my Mac Mini connected to a NAS) sounds fantastic on the BL3s. The source isn't the problem, it's the quality of the device and speakers. My digital audio is minimally compressed and I find CD audio very flat - prefer my digital audio. What I was saying is that it's the quality of the speakers rather than the source.

• 11-29-2011 4:22 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Step1:

Good luck and please feel free to give us a writeup of what you think!

Thank you Step1,

Audio and video systems are not living things, but we, the living, get used to living with them bearing in mind we have different ears, eyes, and tates.  Many systems have great specs, but do not get a lot of agreement.  Example: Japanese monoblocks are more popular in Germany than the rest of the EU.  When I was young, my late mother (passed away Dec 97) told me that an ugly woman married a blind man who got his eyesight by a miracle a few years after their marriage.  She moved with him to an outback area where he could not see other women.  A few years returned to town.  Thereafter, he saw her as the only pretty worman.

However, I am not gonna wait a few years to evaluate the BE8, but truely, I need a couple  of weeks to let the system burn-in, and the drivers to break-in (some people in this forum disagree).  First impressions:  Lord, what did I put the money on!  An hour later: with around 4W RMS per channel, the BE8 sounded very much like tube amplifiers, mellow and far from being clinical.  The music was there, but not the system.  I tried it with symphony, piano concertos, chamber, and smooth jazz.  It stuggled with big orchestral works, but chamber work and band stuff was very good which are what people listen to in the bedroom, kitchen, home office.  Coming from a minimalist system with no contols but volume on the pre-amp, I used the iPod with EQ set to Off.  I have just found out that people use the Equaliser with compressed audio.  So, I will start with iTunes, and select the settings, then put the EQ on the iPod to Flat. 

About placement:  I used the BE8 1 metre from the wall, 1 metre above the floor, and had to put the switch to the middle and this permitter the other instruments in the middle and upper zones to come forward and made the wound fatique free. 

I will write again around Xmas time, and I won't disappoint owners.

Cheers

• 11-29-2011 4:40 AM In reply to

• Abz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Abz:

Yes, I agree that the iPod as a source has its limitations

No no. Not at all. The same source sounds fantastic on the BL3s.

I may have started with the small BS8.  I have my eyes on the BS5 Encore in case I decide to go 100% digital.  It will take me a while to appreciate new tech and learn how to enjoy it.

• 11-29-2011 1:17 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-23-2010
    • Iver Village, Nr Heathrow
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

For what it is worth, I love my Beosound 8!

I've had mine since November 2010 and it ALWAYS gets compliments for style and sound from everyone who comes into my house.

Mine was bought specifically for my kitchen and it really makes a great focal point:

According to my local B&O store (Ruislip) these things are flying out of the door!
    (And mine was the first one they ever had delivered!)

I think they are a great product. 

Beovision 7 55 with BluRay, Beolab 9's, Beosound 8, Penta 3's, Overture, Beocom 2, Beo 6 Remote

Page 2 of 5 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >