in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-14-2011 4:13 PM by nycbrg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-13-2011 7:36 PM

Cosmetic Sacrilege?

Okay, just a question.  Has anyone done a cosmetic change to the way their B&O looks? Nothing too major, I suppose, but  I was thinking of changing the veneer from rosewood to something else. Why? Bedause I can. I seem to remember a thread of someone pondering  trying a CD transport in a Beocord chassis to have a matched set. Can't find it again.  Any pics from members who have altered, but retained the 'spirit of the form'?

Just asking. Hope this doesn't get me drummed out of the regiment.  BTW, a public thank you to Martin who helped me out of several jams recently.

Brian

BeoMaster 8000, Beogram 8000, Beocord 8002, Beogram CD50, M100's.

Beocenter 9500 Beovox P45's

• 01-13-2011 11:52 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Cosmetic Sacrilege?

Here is one I did recently

BeoSystem 4500

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/35472.aspx

I consider it refinement, not sacrilege.

Smile

Evan

• 01-14-2011 1:18 AM In reply to

Thanks, Evan! Superb job.  Thanks for the thread, with all the detail and pics. It looks outstanding in white. Definately, decidedly NOT sacrilege.

• 01-14-2011 7:11 AM In reply to

I was actually thinking about painting an extra pair of Beovox 2500 cubes white so that they could supplement my white MC120.2s. They are currently in poor condition so i guess it would be more of an improvement cosmetically. :) The grills could be black like they are now, or just white.

Having the B&O logo done in black or silver on white base is something i haven't solved yet. One option is to order a custom shaped stamp with B&O logo on it, but there may be some copyright problems if they recognise the logo...

I will post pictures if i am to proceed with this project!

The 4500 refurbishing project looks very professionally done! Good job!

Olli

• 01-14-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

I plan on getting a beocord 6500/7000 and gutting to put in either a mac mini or some kind of MP3 player. I haven't really ever seen a beocord up close so it will have to wait until I get my hands on one this year sometime.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-14-2011 9:51 AM In reply to

Last one I did was to strip a battered pair of black cx100's down to the metal and polished them up to better go with my beosystem6500.
    Worked out real well.
    There are some pics of them on this forum somewhere. 

• 01-14-2011 12:23 PM In reply to

About 12 years ago I had an old LS6000 TV with a "rosewood" finish that was a bit batterd and bruised. I actually recovered it with white Fablon. It looked amazing when finished and was far easier than trying to respray it. And there were no runs, oversprays, and nuisance bugs ruining the finish. The fablon gave it a satin finish very similar to the "White-Line" models availble.

I also covered a pair of wooden B&O speakers to match. All the joins/corners/edges were first pianted black and the fablon was cut slightly smaller on each face so that when it was stuck in place you got a very neat black line along every side of the speaker, they looked really good too.

Of course fablon only works for flat surfaces but the big plus for me was that if it didn't look right I could just peel it off. And if you look at the range of colours now there are loads including metallic finishes.

Stoobie

EDIT - Unfortunately I did not take photos of either.

• 01-14-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

If you have photos of your projects, please post! :)

• 01-14-2011 3:03 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

redfresnel:

I was actually thinking about painting an extra pair of Beovox 2500 cubes white so that they could supplement my white MC120.2s. They are currently in poor condition so i guess it would be more of an improvement cosmetically. :) The grills could be black like they are now, or just white.

Having the B&O logo done in black or silver on white base is something i haven't solved yet. One option is to order a custom shaped stamp with B&O logo on it, but there may be some copyright problems if they recognise the logo...

I will post pictures if i am to proceed with this project!

The 4500 refurbishing project looks very professionally done! Good job!

Olli

For some reason you have me thinking about the cubes now... A lot! and I finally found a place to include them on my system. As if I really needed them or 12 extra tweeter drivers! I think they would look great in white, go for it!

Thanks for the comments Brian and Olli!

Evan

• 01-14-2011 3:21 PM In reply to

You're very welcome! My sacrilege is just a thought, for now.  It started with trying to think of a way to match my CD50 with the 8000 system. Perhaps replacing the aluminum front and sides with rosewood? That would at least make it a little more uniform.  Then, while looking at veneer, which I'm not sure i could adequately match, I saw it!  Zebra wood.  I think the whole kit would look stunning encased in it, even the M100s. Too far? I'm going to photo shop it to see.

Cheers, Brian.

• 01-14-2011 3:38 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Personally I don't think the cd50 or any of that range would look very nice with wood veneer, it would distract your gaze away from the beauty of the 8000 IMO. Would be far better to change the veneer on the 8000 if you had to do anything!

As for zebra wood, not for everyones taste but if you want to try it then what's stopping you!

Olly.

• 01-14-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

Thanks, Olly.  I was actually thinking the other way 'round. The 50 sticks out like a sore thumb (2 me) next to the 8000's beauty. While I love the warm sound, the aluminum looks cold next to all that warm wood. It's really too bad B&O didn't think that far ahead and design the CD to match. Maybe the supplier for rosewood dried up?  As for the zebra, I like exotics in wood as well as electronics. Stunning, I say! To everyone's taste? Not at all. . I love the rosewood too! Jensen had it right with the classic white, teak, rosewood and black. I just fancy something a little daring and individual. All that's stopping me is time and money!

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)