in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-11-2011 2:12 AM by murcieme. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2011 9:09 PM

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Before Selling - What to charge for a Beogram RX?

Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in selling my Beogram RX turntable, hopefully locally to someone in Toronto, Canada (as shipping would be a headache), but I have no clue how to price it.

I know it's not a terribly high end B&O table, as I think it was thier base model back in the early 80's, but:

- I've had it for over 13 years and it was recently (2008) serviced completely by Bang & Olufsen in Toronto and works as new

- Cosmetically there is no damage, and even the dustcover is remarkably scuff-free for a 25+ year old turntable

- For sale with it would be a virtually no-mileage MMC5 (I replaced it with a series of MMC 4's shortly after buying it)

Taking this into consideration I'd consider this to be an extremely nice example of an RX. But it's still just an RX . . .
    What's it's relative worth?

Any help would be great, as usual. :)

Mike

Since 1977

Filed under: , , , ,
  • 01-11-2011 1:50 AM In reply to

Re: Before Selling - What to charge for a Beogram RX?

The problem you have is that this is just not very sought after - mistakenly, as it will produce excellent sound. On eBay, it will struggle to reach £50 in my view. As you are also really wanting to sell locally, your audience is reduced still further. An auction type site is your best bet for a decent price as people can get into a bidding war.

• 01-11-2011 2:12 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Re: Before Selling - What to charge for a Beogram RX?

Doctor:

The problem you have is that this is just not very sought after - mistakenly, as it will produce excellent sound. On eBay, it will struggle to reach £50 in my view. As you are also really wanting to sell locally, your audience is reduced still further. An auction type site is your best bet for a decent price as people can get into a bidding war.

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right.  There are truly appalling used turntables for sale in 2nd hand record stores here in Toronto for $75-$100 (Canadian), such as same era or older Sony's, JVC's and other mass market plastic junk.  I know these stores wouldn't heed much notice for my beautiful B&O and likely offer only a small premium. 

Sadly, vintage audio specialty stores have been shutting down like crazy too, so that's not a likely option either.

I'm reluctant to try ebay because I don't think I can package it adequately. These tonearems are notoriously fragile. The Beogram 5000 I recently purchased was packaged very well and still arrived with it a slight bit bent at the counterweight (since fixed by B&O).

Ah well, I suppose I'll see if I can pack it up well enough, and if so put it on ebay.

:)

Thank you for your opinion!

Since 1977

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)