in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-02-2011 2:16 AM by DoubleU. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2011 1:34 PM

Will I be able to connect the Beolab 5 to a Pioneer SC-LX83???

Finally I found a place I can ask a normal B&O related question... without opening a PC vs. MAC or iOs vs. Android or Black vs. White type of debate.

As the question asks above, I really want to buy a pair of Beo's 5 and probbaly a pair of 3's too, I was wondering if I'll be able to connect it to a normal receiver, i.e. Pioneer SC-LX83....

Thanks a lot!

Filed under: ,
  • 01-10-2011 1:42 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Will I be able to connect the Beolab 5 to a Pioneer SC-LX83???

igneshto:

Finally I found a place I can ask a normal B&O related question... without opening a PC vs. MAC or iOs vs. Android or Black vs. White type of debate.

As the question asks above, I really want to buy a pair of Beo's 5 and probbaly a pair of 3's too, I was wondering if I'll be able to connect it to a normal receiver, i.e. Pioneer SC-LX83....

Thanks a lot!

The answer to your question is 'Yes!"

But to think that you could ask such a heretical question as that here and not  start a flame war, well....Devil

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-10-2011 1:52 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

But back to the OP

You will need to purchase a Beo 4, and a set of RCA audio cables to connect the BeoLab 5's to the Pioneer's pre-amp outputs.  The Beo 4 will be used to do the initial set-up on the BeoLab 5's and to turn them on an odd in every-day use.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-10-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, it'll work fine!

Make sure you have no subwoofer configured, and that the BeoLab 5s have no 'crossover' configured on them. BeoLab 5s will handle any bass you can throw at them...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-10-2011 1:57 PM In reply to

HAHA!

So I understand Bang & Olufsen(ers)... Dont like mix breeding?!

Funny.... Anyways Im all for B&O -But not Blindly -> As Mac followers follow theirs.... I don't like being that way...

So anyway, Without trying to stir a mob, My new home cinema for now -> will be consisting of:

Pioneer SC-LX83 Receiver,

Beolab 5 + Beolab 3(And a center speaker that I haven't decided on yet)

JVC HD550 Projector

And some other stuff undecided yet.

The question is -Do I need anything special to connect the beolabs? Or should everything work just fine?(And where do I connect them to???)?

• 01-10-2011 1:57 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Also make sure you use good quality, well shielded cables! Sounds Heavenly (Google them) can supply you with whatever lengths you need. You may want to ask for semi-balanced connections for all the speakers to reject a little more interference...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-10-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

They connect to the 'Pre-Outs'...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-10-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

Do I really need the Beo4? Can't they just be always on??? Or will they not be On/Off depending on the pioneer???

• 01-10-2011 6:56 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You'll need the Beo 4 to enter the PIN codes and set them up correctly. If you were to have a power cut, or un-plug the BeoLab 5s, you'd need to call out a B&O engineer which would be a little silly!

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if the BeoLab 5s turn themselves on and off according to whether they receive a line-level signal, but I'm fairly sure they don't. Either way, you definitely want a Beo 4 to go with them!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-10-2011 7:00 PM In reply to

igneshto:

Do I really need the Beo4? Can't they just be always on??? Or will they not be On/Off depending on the pioneer???

A lot of B&O are PIN protected. If you switch the unit off for 30 minutes then you need to re-enter the PIN number to get them working again. You will need the Beo4 for this. Get Beo4 and lintronic and enjoy the Beo4 as a main remote.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-10-2011 7:08 PM In reply to

Wait with buying a centre speaker. I have my BL5s connected to a non-B&O processor, and I have it configured to let the front speakers create a phantom centre. It is phenomenal - the acoustic lenses do have their benefits.

• 02-02-2011 12:56 AM In reply to

Hi again...

Will I be able to do all the controlling through say, a logitech harmony remote, or do I really really need the beo4 to be able to live with the beo's...?

• 02-02-2011 2:16 AM In reply to

A Harmony will work, but this is not the ideal setup. BL5's needs a fixed line-out signal, BL3's needs the pre-out.

BL3 is volume controlled by the receiver. BL5 is volume controlled with its own amplifier. Both can be done with a Harmony, but then your Harmony remote needs 2 different modes to control both volumes. Not ideal. 

PIN can be disabled.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)