in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-03-2011 6:40 PM by beojeff. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2011 11:38 AM

Apple Lossless support - What gives?

I still can't get my head around why B&O has such a hard time supporting Apple Lossless. Sonos pulled it off.

Reading up on the wikipedia, while it is not possible to get an official decoder from apple there is a public library available - someone reverse engineered the apple decoder. That must be what Sonos is using.

Having this would make live so much easier for people who manage their libraries in itunes and who are bothered by the gaps between the songs when playing concerts etc.

I thoiught based on posts this was coming?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-09-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

Re: Apple Lossless support - What gives?

Why don't you use software to convert it to flac and forget about Apple lossless for good?

• 01-09-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

jk1002:

I still can't get my head around why B&O has such a hard time supporting Apple Lossless. Sonos pulled it off.

Reading up on the wikipedia, while it is not possible to get an official decoder from apple there is a public library available - someone reverse engineered the apple decoder. That must be what Sonos is using.

Having this would make live so much easier for people who manage their libraries in itunes and who are bothered by the gaps between the songs when playing concerts etc.

I thoiught based on posts this was coming?

Why doesn't  Sonos support WMA lossless?

Why doesn't Apple support FLAC or WMA lossless?

Why does Apple protect there lossless format? Wouldn't it increase their business also if he license would be "free" of charge? 

Why can't I play WMA on my iPod?

Why can't I use flac on iTunes?

Why B&o..................?

• 01-09-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

Small fish bends over to big fish.

Many B&O customers run MACS, use Itunes, have Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, I anything. Might be worth supporting.

Apple is right now the market leader. Why make my life difficult if I stick to the market leader for all things digital. B&O does just that by somehow forcing me of buying into the concept of maintaining multiple libraries for my digital content.

You are a windows person, aren't you?

• 01-09-2011 1:54 PM In reply to

No

I run both W7 & Snow on Mac's and PC's

But I hardly use iTunes. Only sometimes to sync the AAC's to my iPad or iPod.

On Mac I use XBMC 

on my PC Beoplayer and mostly I listen to my BS5 - up till now WMA lossless but I have converted all the files to FLAC so I can use the same files in XBMC and on the BS5 - so on both platforms. Great!

• 01-10-2011 6:10 AM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

use ipad with remote app

airport express on the AUX entry of your beosound or beocenter

and forget beosound 5!!!!!

never explain never complain

• 01-10-2011 7:33 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

It's always astonishing to see that Bang & Olufsen provide some strange alibis to explain that they don't have a technology that is everywhere else : no support for Apple Lossless is a bit of a shame for a lifestyle music product (as B&O owners are often Apple users), some other brands have it. And no, connecting an Airport express to the Aux input of your Beosound is not a good solution considering the horrible sound quality of the analog output of the Airport and the lack of digital inputs on our Beosounds.

Now I feel the same with Spotify : I think I would buy a BS5 Encore (or BS5) if it was able to give me Spotify : Sonos is compatible, and today Logitech Squeezebox announce that they are compatible. That's not an expensive hardware technology, that's a bit of code to get with a cooperation with Spotify (so if it becomes useless because Apple buy Spotify and close their business, or if Qriocity/Deezer becomes the leader, thy can jump on the other train quickly), but a high-ranked B&O guy told me that there was nothing planned for Spotify compatibility. Sad. At least we can hope for future updates.

• 01-10-2011 7:37 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

There's a crucial difference between the lack of support for Spotify and lack of support for Apple Lossless.

Spotify isn't available around here. In fact, it's not available in most of the world.

Podcast support (including subscriptions) and Apple Lossless seems to be more general things (even if I don't use Apple Lossless anymore).

Edit: Here in Denmark we have TDC PLay and a few other services like Spotify.

• 01-10-2011 11:02 AM In reply to

dueno:

use ipad with remote app

airport express on the AUX entry of your beosound or beocenter

and forget beosound 5!!!!!

I like my iPad, but the "wow" experience of the BS5 is something complete different than your proposed setup 

• 01-10-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

I think the remote app interface is much better than the beosound5

and on the beosound 5 you can only have 4 playlist!!!!

never explain never complain

• 01-10-2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Fine!

everybody has his right to his own opinion. Yours isn't mine

greetings

• 01-10-2011 4:10 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Carolpa:

Fine!

greetings

Completely agree...

Stefan

• 01-11-2011 1:02 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Carolpa:

Fine!

greetings

Not mine either. This is the reason I am so giddy about the Encore, I so want it to come above my TTB, because I have liked the BS5 since it came out, but never bought one because it just wasn't "good enough". It was really nice to look at, and the idea of it all was really, really great (i.e. the GUI and physical UI).

I already use Squeezeboxes, and even that is a much better experience than using limited iThings.

Anyway, crossing fingers for the Encore Big Smile

• 01-12-2011 5:21 PM In reply to

Electrified:

Anyway, crossing fingers for the Encore Big Smile

Do the same. All they have to do is offer the right software... therefore my expectations are not that high. I would already be happy if it supports the current BS5 setup, external libraries in a good fashion with a lot of play-lists and a good integration with a Beo6 and hence some improvements in navigation Whistle

• 01-12-2011 9:52 PM In reply to

<< It was really nice to look at, and the idea of it all was really, really great (i.e. the GUI and physical UI).>>

Same here. I think they have something, if they got the Wifi remote right they might have a piece of equipment that is digital and will be around for few years.

I am afraid though that most customers are not bothered too much by the missing Applelossless, the gap issue and other inconveniences.

I'll wait, sooner or later they get something that is right. 

• 01-17-2011 3:42 PM In reply to

i've written to the CEO by letter as I got irritated by b&o's customer service's online replies which were useless, guarded and unenlightening.

i've printed this thread for him to read.

let's see what the CEO says in person...

• 03-29-2011 5:27 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

he will not say anything because it will be passed on to some Danish support person who works part time in the call centre and does answer to emails and will tell you a stupid story in bad english

Best regards Oliver

• 04-03-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

I think they are well aware how important that is. People will pay a premium for lossless files over the compressed what they have now, also it is a good way to push new players into the market, just by offering them with more memory. See blueray versus DVD.

I think the issue they have is that there is no official way of supporting that. Someone re-verse engineered the apple lossless decoder and made that thing public, that is what Sonos must be using.

• 04-03-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

I've read that Apple is planning to license video airplay to third party devices as they currently do with the licensing of audio airplay. While it is not quite the same issue, perhaps this indicates a move away from Apple's resistance toward licensing its technology.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)