in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-14-2011 8:39 AM by Chrisreunion. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2011 10:04 PM

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 9500 glass panel tape cleanup

I have a Beocenter 9500 where the tape holding the lower touch panel glass in place has failed. I've removed the old tape from the plastic frame that the glass sits in and cleaned the sticky residue with Isoproply Alcohol. However, removing the old tape from the glass panel is proving a little tricker. I'm worried about scratching the black paint on the glass not to mention using any form of cleaning fluid on it. Has anyone cleaned the sticky tape off the glass without affecting the painted surface? If so, what did you use. I was thinking of using a citris degreaser. Any thoughts, ideas?

With replacement tape I'm thinking of using 6mm wide thin double sided tape. Any recommendations on this?

Filed under:
  • 01-09-2011 3:01 AM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocenter 9500 glass panel tape cleanup

I see that there has been mention on this site by another member of soaking the glass panel in warm soapy water and this then allows the old tape to be removed more easily. Anyone else tried this method? As you can tell, I'm rather paranoid about damaging the paint and graphite coating!

• 01-09-2011 7:42 AM In reply to

There is a cleaner for price stickers... smells like citrus oil. Works fast and perfect.

Alkohol and paint thinner are not the right material to clean ist. The paint can resist the thinner, the graphit coating does not.

I use Loctite 480, a elastic black rubber cyanid glue. Perfect for it... we use it for glass repairs. 

• 01-10-2011 10:17 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-07-2010
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 103
    • Gold Member

its very difficult not to scratch the glass panels while scraping the glue off. I used lamp oil and make a basket from aluminum foil to soak the panels in it for a hour. The little scratches i covered with black paint from an airbrush. I used also 6 mm double sided foam tape. It sticks really well. I placed the plastic rims on the 9500 first (I stick it with painters tape) and then i placed the panels on them. My first attempt was to put the glass on the rimss first but after tht i could not slide them on the 9500 for unkown reason. With the described method you can outline the rims with the doors from the ctape and cd. Remeber that the longer rims front and back are diffrent!

good luck

• 01-10-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Only reason I can think of is that you had top and bottom panels the wrong way round as you actually mentioned - with glass panel upside down you would have to be extra careful where you put them - because of the panel-screw recess..

Olly.

• 01-10-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

white spirit / turps worked for me with a gentle finger rub followeed by kitchen tissue soaked in turps

salut

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 01-10-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

Same here Tony, worked well enough for me if a bit messy!

Regards Graham

• 01-10-2011 1:05 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

On my glass panels I used hot water and this stuff called "Goo Gone." If you use a similar citrus liquid or sticker/adhesive remover, be sure to let it sit a while before scrubbing. Let it do the work for you. It worked great for me.

I understand the paranoia, but don't worry yourself, the paint can be touched up very easily. You really just need to worry about not scrubbing too hard and breaking the pane! Let us know how it goes.

Evan

• 01-11-2011 2:57 PM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
    I've got the glass panel cleaned up now and ready for the next stage of mounting. I used a Citrus degreaser. Applied this to the old sticky tape using a fine art brush. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then I could scrape the tape away quite easily with my fingernail. Any last residue then cleaned off with a cloth sprayed with the degreaser. Despite being very careful I still managed to get a few small hairfine scratches in the paint. Easily fixed by holding the panel up to a light and applying a black permanent marker to them.

I've bought some Loctite 480 to glue the glass in, but now have second thoughts about using it versus double sided tape. Pro's and con's to either method.

All this work is part of a restore job on my BC9500. Have already done full cap and opamp upgrade as well as all belts and fix for the classic brake arm issue on the tape deck. Will post some pictures soon.

• 01-11-2011 4:05 PM In reply to

I'm sure there has been a discussion on here about what tape to use and a link to where you can get it.

Stoobie

• 01-11-2011 4:11 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Don't mess about with glue. HERE's the stuff

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 01-11-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I agree, there is no black paint on the bevelled part of the glass (underside) and any glue can show through this if there is seapage, as I have found out!

Olly.

• 01-11-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

Stonk:

Don't mess about with glue. HERE's the stuff

That's the one! But do it right the first time or else you have to start over againSuper Angry

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 01-11-2011 5:56 PM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

A very good point about the risk of seapage around the beveled edges being visible.

I gather 1mm think tape is ok? The stuff I had in mind is paper thin.

• 01-12-2011 2:31 AM In reply to

I've used the tape from that seller and it is mighty strong stuff.  Good luck.

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 01-12-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

I finally decided to try and glue the panel in. The Loctite 480 glue is very runny so I squirted some into a small container first. Then, using a small art brush, applied this to the plastic frame. I brushed it on fairly thin so as to not have any seep out the sides when the panel is applied. I had marked each piece of the frame in pencil so I wouldn't forget as to what went where! Left it to cure overnite and the result looks good. Now to repeat the process for the top panel.

• 01-12-2011 11:38 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

davefarr:

I've used the tape from that seller and it is mighty strong stuff.  Good luck.

Dave.

The tape is darn good!

Evan

• 01-13-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

I have used the tape and confirm that it is sticky enough for the job at hand.

However, I believe that it is too thick, resulting in a glass panel that sits slightly too proud of the plastic frame. Only marginal but enough to offend my eye.

Regards Graham

• 01-13-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am glad someone else has confirmed this, as that was exactly my thought when I recieved the stuff, and so proceeded to glue what was left of the old tape instead with superglue. If I were to glue again I think I would paint the lower bevel of glass to stop any small amounts of seeped glue showing through, as it did in my case. Wasn't nearly bad enough to spoil the looks mind but when known about it occasionally catches the eye!

Olly.

• 01-13-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

Mind you don't get caught agreeing with me!!!

The viscosity of the glue is important as is technique.

Regards Graham

• 01-13-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

joeyboygolf:

Mind you don't get caught agreeing with me!!!

The viscosity of the glue is important as is technique.

I haven't found too many reasons to disagree with you yet Stick out tongue - in this case I guess it was the perfectionist in me - I even spent ages looking amongst credit cards of the right thickness for the gaps between the plastic strips (you know, the ones that match the door gaps) - found a couple of store cards (non-ebmbossed) that proved to be a tight, but workable fit!

The glue was the thickish stuff but I wasn't consistent enough with application so the smallest amounts got to the edge. You live and learn!

Olly.

• 01-14-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

I used white spirit to remove the original tape, both on the plastic and glass parts, with no scratch on the glass part; I then re-glued the glass panel with a thin double-sided transparent adhesive tape. The previous "scratches" (causing transparency) on the glass panel black coating were covered with black permanent marker applied on the underside of the glass panel; I was almost surprised how great it looked afterwards!Cool

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)