in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-24-2011 3:58 AM by Schmedegaard. 106 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (107 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2011 4:55 AM

Beovision 10 - 46 Dont bye it :-(

I've had BeoVision 10 46 inches in 6 months.

It is the worst television I've ever had.

I've had b/o for over 15 years but is now considering selling the whole thing and buy samsung or panasonic plasma, to get acceptable image quality. 

We had BeoVision 10 - 46 for 20 days but the dealer had to change it to a new TV because the sound making a cracking sound both when we were watching television and heard music. 

Since we bought it, it has also had the following errors

When we watch television at night in darkness and they are:

advertising with a black background
    film on black background
    DVD with scenes with black background
    Source Change (TV to PC / DVD) screen is black

you can see 4-5 light columns (15 cm size) top of the screen divided into each corner and 2 in the middle. We sit in a normal angle and watch television and the light columns is not a normal change in brightness as you typically see on LCD / LED TV for instance if you change the viewing angle.

TV must be turned on for some hours to the fault can be seen

B/O have changed ledpanel 20 days ago to correct the errors above but now we have same problem again.

I've talked to a B/O distributor in Copenhagen and he looks surprised at me when I tell the story and says they have had 8 customers within the last month with the same problem and that in b/o know the problem and call it bleeding backlight !!!

In my view, a television of this quality / price could show a normal black level at the film / advertising etc. and therefore not acceptable that it does above. 

Why has B / O made a decent test before they sell it ???

I've had beovison 4 to 50, BeoVision 7 - 40, BeoVision 6 -26 and has never had or seen this problem before.

Think B / O has a pretty big problem in this television and the above panel. What will hapend when the pres get this info ?? 

I'll try to call my purchase back because we can not live with so poor a panel and television.

• 01-08-2011 5:05 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 10 - 46 Dont bye it :-(

Sorry to hear you have been having such a bad time with the BV-10. There were a number of problems reported with earlier models which were also showing up on Samsung's own LED models. This certainly sounds like a screen-related issue. A friend of mine has just bought a Samsung 46inch LED model so I'll be interested to get a good look at that running.

I'm going to upset a lot of people here but I personally don't really see a big difference in quality between the old BV LCDs and the BV10. They are a lot thinner but the benefit of that seems to be poorer sound. Progress?

• 01-08-2011 5:13 AM In reply to

I've been monitoring mine closely the last few days, and it seems to have two lighter spots when the screen is dark, they are at 12 o'clock, about 10-20cm in diameter...

I will talk about this to my dealer. I'm not too keen on the idea of having my brand new TV off for repairs for weeks...

Otherwise I love the TV, startup is a bit slow though.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-08-2011 12:34 PM In reply to

Mine is doing more than fine!

No problems at all. Agree on the startup time.... Far too long......
  • 01-08-2011 1:09 PM In reply to

ferrari:

We had BeoVision 10 - 46 for 20 days but the dealer had to change it to a new TV because the sound making a cracking sound both when we were watching television and heard music. 

Sorry to hear that your unhappy with the BV10.

I had mine retrofitted to have the cracking sound removed.

It also improved the ghosting phenomena.

You can see pics from the retrofit here. Took the service man about 30 minutes to fix. 

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/36375.aspx

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 01-08-2011 7:30 PM In reply to

Hiort:
    It also improved the ghosting phenomena.

I'm about to have my 2010 BV10-40 looked at by a technician because of the clouding/uneven backlighting issue. Apparently 'it is due to a PCB heating the LCD screen'. There is a 'cooling kit' available. I'm guessing this is the same part Hiort refers to above. I don't have the cracking noise problem however.

I'm not keen on having my near-new television dismantled. A firmware update is one thing, but pulling the screen off is another...

Have others found the 'cooling kit' solves the clouding problem for them? Or should I do what i have been doing (pretending I can't see it!) and keep my television intact?

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Helvetica}

• 01-08-2011 10:24 PM In reply to

futurist:
    Have others found the 'cooling kit' solves the clouding problem for them?

I wonder how BV10 owners in Melbourne coped with our run of 32C, 34C, and 35C these past three days.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-09-2011 12:32 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

futurist:

I wonder how BV10 owners in Melbourne coped with our run of 32C, 34C, and 35C these past three days.

Likewise for the QLD owners with the floods! lol

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-09-2011 12:38 AM In reply to

Dave:

elephant:

futurist:

I'm not sure what your taking about, but I think your getting kind of nasty

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 01-09-2011 2:19 AM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Dave:

elephant:

futurist:

I'm not sure what your taking about, but I think your getting kind of nasty

Not at all !!!

At least I don't think so ...

My comment was about overheating - what point is there in having a "cooling kit" that given the dimensions of the BV10 can only be a heat sink and/or fan if the environment is already very hot ?

In fact I was wondering if some of the BV10 issues are coming from european owners who like their central heating hot.  I physically can't cope with overheated rooms and stores ... I sort of get nauseous ... but on the other hand I relish natural heat whether it is humid tropics or dry desert.

I think Dave was just being semi-flippant (he lives in Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland) about the enormous floods that are covering Queensland, now I accept that Australia is a sparsely populated country, but we do have a major homes, property and livestock disaster underway.  Fortunately very few lives have been lost (the benefit of being sparsely populated).  

So I think Dave was being ironic and saying that a few imperfections are minor compared to the loss of one's home.  Following this link to the story below : Queensland Floods : and it is just about to get worse ... there is a new series of heavy rainfalls due in the next 24~48 hours.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-09-2011 4:15 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Reading these posts, I'm so glad I didn't swap out my much maligned problematic BV7-40 for a equally problematic BV10-46. For months my intention was to swap and "upgrade" from my BV7-40 MKIV to the new BV10-46. Someone in the industry warned me that it was more of a downgrade, which led to some doubts.

I think this is my first post on Beoworld for months! Become a little bored of B&O lately.

• 01-09-2011 4:52 AM In reply to

What about the Cheapest t.v ....The beovision 8 no problems at all?

• 01-09-2011 5:13 AM In reply to

I don't think any 'nastiness' was intended in this thread at all. Just an ironic sense of humour. As Ed says, it is fifficult to take too much notice of a little clouding on a screen when 10 foot of water is raging through one's living room. In other words, there are worse things that happen: cricket could be another one!

On the screen issues, I am sure B&O are taking these complaints seriously though clearly the actual screens are outsourced, as they have to be. Very happy with my BV5 - good sound and perfectly acceptable picture.

• 01-09-2011 6:14 AM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Apple allowes (if I mentioned right) up to 9 spots on a display. Nobody here will be willing to pay the price for a "non spot display". Nothing to talk about at all with your delaer.

• 01-09-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

Doctor:
    Very happy with my BV5 - good sound and perfectly acceptable picture.

I agree with this.

I'm sure i read somewhere Lee (Lifestyle Lee), saying that the BV-5 was one of the (if not THE), most reliable, trouble-free B&O product he has come across....

Not intentionally meaning to misquote him, but i'm sure he commented words to this effect.......apologies if I'm incorrect.

I'm reading various threads regarding problems with the latest products, BV-10, BV-8, Beosound 5, Beosound 8 etc. and I'm kind of happy I paid a fraction of those prices for my 2003 BV-5, and my positively ancient Beosystem 7000/6500 and even older Penta II's! - and i've never had a problem with any of my gearSmile

Maybe i've just been fortunate thus far....or maybe the 1990's and early 2000's stuff was just better built....???

I fancy a Beovision 9 eventually (when i can afford one!) to replace/upgrade my BV-5......but cant comment on the BV-9's reliability/possible issues as I've not read much about them - either positive or negative.

Even the BV-9 is now discontinued.....from the current range there really is nothing I actually want to buy...even if money was no object at all..

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 01-09-2011 6:38 AM In reply to

Hi,

I am very surprised to hear that also the BV 10-46 has the clouding issue. I thought it was only a problem of the first BV 10-40, so it seems that is a problem of the whole BV10 line.

I have got one of the first BV 10-40 in December 2009. I could verify the clouding, but only in total dark room at black sreen when changing scenes in a movie. After a software update the clouding was better, but not totally disappear. I had heard of the 'cooling kit', but I don't want to have my television dismantled for installing this kit.

The clouding is a very little issue for mr and if I would not have heard from it in this forum, I believe I wouldn't have recognized it.

I love my BV 10-40 because of the stunning picture, the great sound with my BL 8000 and the perfect design at the wall of my bedroom.

Although it is poor that B&O did not solve the clouding issue before launch of the BV10, because it's still a very expensive television if you compare it with TVs from other brands.

Regards

Räuber
  • 01-09-2011 7:17 AM In reply to

B/O have changed my panel on my brand new BeoVision 10 - 46 and it does not help.

There is clearly clouds and bleeding backlight on my screen yet.

It is simply not good enough on a screen that costs 8,500 euros and not ok to an entirely new television must be separated by to try to correct this error.

I have 3 Panasonic plasma video display units in the house and there are blacks niveau quite super and no evidence of clouding what so ever.

B/O has always turned on that they will not introduce technologies they can not trust or know - and what do they do so - does not require much engineering degree to run tests on the BeoVision 10 and see this error.

Samsung also makes plasma panel which is less than 3 cm thick and has low power consumption. Come into the match B & O chose the right panels without fail to beovision 10 - big mistake !!!.

I go all the way with my television and are considering going to the Danish consumer media to tell the story.

• 01-09-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

So has anyone had success with the cooling kit as a means of reducing clouding?

• 01-09-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• oli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Get it fully replaced by your dealer !

I have mine since 5 monthes, and absolutely not a single problem with picture in darkness, cooling, clicking noises or whatever. I am a long time B&O customer, and if I agree with you about some perfectible points regarding Q/A since a few years, I must admit that customer services are still at the top, and they don't hesitate to replace the whole BV/BS/... in case of problem, after trying the basics like SW update or panel replacement without success. My MX8000 is far much noisy than the BV10-46.

And don't forget that the quality of the picture, and particulary the clouding problem could be a problem with the signal as well, check that everything is fine with signal, cables, DVB module (SW update) before saying that your panel or the whole product is crap.

• 01-09-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

It is my understanding that clouding,and non uniform backlighting,are potential problems with an edge lit LED panel.

Personally,if I was going for a non Plasma TV,I would only consider a full LED backlight,with local dimming,system.

I think it is short sighted of B & O not to have integrated Plasma TVs in their portfolio.

• 01-09-2011 11:35 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

About LED backlight with local dimming system; it seems that there are problem with the technology as well since images with grey shades tends to turn black and images with colour section with weak light tends to fade to grey. Has been reported on numerous LED tv and reported in many other forums.

• 01-09-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

kimhav:

About LED backlight with local dimming system; it seems that there are problem with the technology as well since images with grey shades tends to turn black and images with colour section with weak light tends to fade to grey. Has been reported on numerous LED tv and reported in many other forums.

True,but likely to be less aggravating in PQ terms than an edge lit system.

LCD/LED is a still maturing technology,which is why I am surprised that B & O should major on it to the detriment of Plasma TVs.

I would have thought that premium integrated TVs based on a technology that is more mature,and provides superior PQ,are more likely to attract new buyers to the brand.

• 01-09-2011 12:08 PM In reply to

• beoair
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Surrey UK
    • Posts 22
    • Founder

I agree with Oli, I've had the BV10-46 for 9 months and not a single problem. The Ashes cricket on sky HD was super quality especially since we won ! I've never had any clouding issues with any source including streamed photos which leave large amounts of black screen when viewing portrait style photos.

Best Wishes

• 01-09-2011 3:20 PM In reply to

Doctor:
    cricket could be another one!

now that is a sensitive topic ... heads are sure to roll

To put the scale of the floods into perspective, here are the Wikipedia stats for the country of Mexico:

Area
     -  Total 1,972,550 km2 
    761,606 sq mi 

Population
     -  2010 estimate 112,322,757
     -  2010 census 112,322,757
     -  Density

57/km2
    142/sq mi

for the state of Queensland:

Area 
     - Total  1,852,642 km2
    715,309 sq mi
     - Land 1,730,648 km2
    668,207 sq mi

Population
     - Population  4,516,361
     - Density  2.61/km2
    6.8 /sq mi

• 01-09-2011 4:08 PM In reply to

You should not be scared of having your BV10 retrofitted with the improved cooling plates.

It was an easy exercise. Agree that B&O should have figured this out before shipping the first units.

Regarding clouding, its not possible to detect during e.g a "normal" movie.

I would say it does not at all disturb the picture. I do see a few spots when the screen is really dark, but who need a perfect screen just to look at a dark surface... Wink

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

Page 1 of 5 (107 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >