in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2011 5:44 PM by Nio. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2011 4:41 AM

B&O and Intel to cooperate on Smart TV

Bang & Olufsen and Intel have announced that they are working in cooperation to gain access to the latest technologies in Smart TV - whatever that means.

More information: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1294393079

More to be revealed at CES 2011.

Filed under: ,
  • 01-07-2011 5:17 AM In reply to

Re: B&O and Intel to cooperate on Smart TV

This sounds pretty interesting to me. Having this kind of interesting partnership will be great. No Samsung logos and stuff just a sticker on the back of the TV and some kind of media browser with a variety of media support. Maybe the beomedia will be finally done right!

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-07-2011 5:50 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I just got an image in my head of turning on a nice new b&o telly and the first thing I see being a big intel logo with a corus of people singing bom, bom-BOM-bom-BUMMMM Stick out tongue

On a serious note it sounds exciting though and good to see B&O in a partnership with someone as big as intel... Lets hope it is not a competing standard that loses the race though!

Olly.

• 01-07-2011 8:32 AM In reply to

Step1:
    bom, bom-BOM-bom-BUMMMM

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Seriously, this sounds very exciting! Yes -  thumbs up

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-07-2011 8:33 AM In reply to

From Intel... this is apparently similar, if not identical to what they have done w/ Google, Logitech, and SONY. I wonder how B&o will slot into this from a cooperation standpoint? Or, is this just going to be a rebranding deal?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-07-2011 9:48 AM In reply to

Interesting!

Intel has just released some wireless technologie which allows to stream directly from the a portable/PC to  a screen. The technology is build into it's latest chipsets.. So basicly a large percentage of portables will have this at the end of 2011.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20110106214055_Sandy_Bridges_New_Feature_Enables_New_Forms_of_Media_Streaming.html

Also Google for "Intel Sandy Bridge"

Karel.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-07-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

burantek:

From Intel... this is apparently similar, if not identical to what they have done w/ Google, Logitech, and SONY. I wonder how B&o will slot into this from a cooperation standpoint? Or, is this just going to be a rebranding deal?

Nope.. completely different. With Google/Logitech you need an additional box. Intel 's streams directly from your computer to your TV.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-07-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

burantek:

Nope.. completely different. With Google/Logitech you need an additional box. Intel 's streams directly from your computer to your TV.

Glad I used the term: similar Smile

I *think* the concept of Intel's "Smart TV" initiative is not being fenced in w/ just additional black boxes like Google TV as you point out. I believe it is just a general term regarding the new wave of TV-NET empowerment. My take would be that B&o is looking at incorporating the technology into their sets regardless of streaming or wired. If an additional box were on the menu, then it would make sense that the technology may filter to the BM5 and/or the new "BeoNet." At the core, though, why would Intel reinvent the wheel w/ regards to the inroads they have already made w/ Smart TV, though its reception has been lukewarm so far?

++++EDIT++++

This post sounds like my wavelength OVER HERE.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-07-2011 10:56 AM In reply to

Step1:

I just got an image in my head of turning on a nice new b&o telly and the first thing I see being a big intel logo with a corus of people singing bom, bom-BOM-bom-BUMMMM Stick out tongue

Wouldn't be out of the question....there are a few DVD1/2 owners who are welcomed by a large Philips logo on screen when turning the unit on from standbye...Unsure

• 01-07-2011 11:20 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

A BeopadYes -  thumbs up

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-07-2011 12:05 PM In reply to

The Intel partnership has implications further (and in my opinion, more exciting) than simply an OS in the televisions. The first implication will likely be seen this year...

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-07-2011 12:17 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-07-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:
    The technology is build into it's latest chipsets.. So basicly a large percentage of portables will have this at the end of 2011.

Remarkable how fast things move!

THIS just came across my RSS.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-07-2011 7:11 PM In reply to

I have always been a big fan of integrated technologies. I will always regret exchanging My BC9500 (CD/Tape/Radio/Amplifier) for a BS3000. I have all of the David Lewis speakers (integrated amps).

I just love the idea of integration with all of the elegance and simplicity that implies, BUT Intel inside of my TV mkes me nervous.

With the tech cycle as short as it is, I'm afraid that integration will simply lead to faster obsolescence. What I would make most comfortable in Televisions would be a great "monitor" with the possibility for great external connectivity, sound, and control. Oops, I think I've just described a number of existing B&O products.

Seriously though, I just can't Intel inside being a really long lasting proposition. No different really than Apple inside.

My 2c.

• 01-07-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

beo-ap:
    No different really than Apple inside.

Yes, I would be happier with an Apple outside strategy (e.g. the ATV2G).

Looked at the viral Logitech demo of Google TV ... excuse me while I puke.

Thank you, sorry about that, yes I know it was only an early tech head demo ... but please !

HOWEVER

I am really very worried that Trip has waded in with one of his subtle hints.

I just hope he hints a little bit more ... and that B&O do a better job that Logitech and Google.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-07-2011 10:25 PM In reply to

It is my overoptimism and unconditional admiration for B&O or they are really moving lighting fast (for B&O standards) adopting new technologies.

I see this as very positive, if a company gets surrounded by brilliant partners somehow it gets "infected". 

• 01-07-2011 10:58 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

BeoFab:

It is my overoptimism and unconditional admiration for B&O or they are really moving lighting fast (for B&O standards) adopting new technologies.

I see this as very positive, if a company gets surrounded by brilliant partners somehow it gets "infected". 

I have the same impression. They really seem to be picking up speed these days: Beonet, BS5 Encore, Beo6, "telly-tech", BL11, it's as if they have finally got the not so well oiled car in gear and are finally moving forward. They have a lot of catching up, so let's hope they can continue this for a while.

• 01-07-2011 11:26 PM In reply to

Wade in I did. Wade in further I shall. 

My implication has nothing to do with an "operating system"

Discuss.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-07-2011 11:44 PM In reply to

No OS? Intelligent TV? If it's silicon and it's intelligent it has to have an OS. Even if that OS isn't Intel or B&O. No?
  • 01-08-2011 2:08 AM In reply to

beo-ap:
    No OS? Intelligent TV? If it's silicon and it's intelligent it has to have an OS. Even if that OS isn't Intel or B&O. No?

I think he means "think outside the box"

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-08-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

Great to see B&O trying to find solutions to Next Generation Home Entertainment. Working with Intel seems strange to me. Just as the world seems to be moving to ARM or Tegra 2 architecture, in jumps B&O into yesterdays game. Same happened with the BS/BM5. Even Microsoft has now jumped ship. I'm guessing they are using the Intel SmartTV platform reference architecture. http://www.intel.com/inside/smarttv/

• 01-08-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

I clearly don't understand why this would be intresting and relevant for B&O.....the only thing Intel provides today - and to be frank - is outstanding silicion/chipset for large format/screen devices - but the digital/convergence is not going to be won on the silicon for B&O - but in SW, interopability/connectivity/form factors - pretty much everything else than what Intel does today (i know Intel is trying to break into this area but for crying out loud; Intel are not the big gorilla in this room)

It would be a great event to have whoever runs strategic alliances and the platform/digital roadmap for B&O to come in one day to the beo-world members and host a key-note presentation (without NDA info) and share the vision of where they are going.....could indeed be an intresting session and reality calibration

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 01-08-2011 11:38 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

All attempts to keep up with the game should be applauded IMO. A quick look at CES2011 is enough to appreciate how quickly the TV product area is accelerating. Many (most?) already have DNLA, access to network and internet content, wired & wireless networking, SmartTV etc. Some are showing almost frameless panel designs which look cool but make the panel almost "designless", meaning the design elements are relegated to the base/stand. Others are speaking of a 42" OLED screen sometime this year.

I'm fully supportive of B&O "going for it" - at some point you need to pick your direction and then pedal as hard as you can - riding in circles waiting to see what will happen to others is a non-option, the rate of advance isn't going to slow any time soon and is all likelihood will increase.

Study hard, make you best forecast, and then be positive and back it with cash and resource to try and make it happen.

I'm much happier to see this than a product road of more and more (increasingly dated looking) BV7s.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-08-2011 11:59 AM In reply to

Others are speaking of a 42" OLED screen sometime this year.

does this mean that in 1 a 2 years the oldfasion BV7 lcd t.v's are nothing worth anymoreHmm

• 01-08-2011 9:20 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    Study hard, make you best forecast, and then be positive and back it with cash and resource to try and make it happen ...

... and don't be the first guy to blink

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >