in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2011 9:13 AM by Evan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2011 5:12 PM

Wall Mount Cable Tidies - Share Your Photos

Right - time has come to wall-mount my Beovox 5000 panel speakers onto a partition wall at home. Chasing out and re-plastering the cable runs is not a desirable option apparently, so I wondered what others have used to either hide or make a feature of their cable tidies at home? I was thinking of going slightly industrial with something like some commercial twin and earth mains socket tubing, but perhaps this might be overkill? 

Would be interested to see what others have done with these speakers, or flat panel TVs in particular :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-04-2011 8:05 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: Wall Mount Cable Tidies - Share Your Photos

Suspended frame wall unit, with 9 cabinets, bolt-attached to the wall.

The wall unit incorporates sliding panels, which in our case were then cut with holes to accomodate first a Beosound 3200, and now recently a Beosound 4, BL 4000 pair, and the usual masterlink, PC, mains & aux cables.

Flatscreen is also suspended onto the same wall, using two swing-up arms especially for that purpose. The various flatscreen cables are also hidden in the wall space created by the suspended frame, just behind the screen.

Our system contains an HTPC, B&O stereo system as described above, streaming box, terrestial digital antennae ( No more Sky; We stream ), multi-region DVD (HDMI ), voip telephone, wi-fi unit, router, and a few 100+ DVD, CD, and SD cards. Nothing shows.

I do have digital photos, but am unsure how to display them here on Beoworld. Perhaps someone could walk me through the procedure.

• 01-05-2011 4:51 AM In reply to

SWISS_2:
    I do have digital photos, but am unsure how to display them here on Beoworld. Perhaps someone could walk me through the procedure.

Sounds very interesting - would be great to see your pictures.

I believe the simplest approach is the following:

1. click the options tab on your reply 
    2. click on file attachment "Add"
    3. click on choose file
    4. select an image from the filesystem of your PC
    5. click save
    6. click post
    The downside is that this seems to only add one picture per post 

Screenshot of step 2:

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-05-2011 4:55 AM In reply to

elephant:

1. click the options tab on your reply 
    2. click on file attachment "Add"
    3. click on choose file
    4. select an image from the filesystem of your PC
    5. click save
    6. click post

Screenshot of step 3:

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-05-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

Hi, may I ask why the chasing and re-plastering isn't a desirable option? it is the most messy at the time, however, the end result gives such a clean look it may be worth a second thought? I attach some photos of some of the wall mounted kit in our home (apologies this is over several posts):

Beovision 6:

• 01-05-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

Beovision 10:

• 01-05-2011 5:12 AM In reply to

BeoSound 3000:

• 01-05-2011 5:16 AM In reply to

Where the sheer amount of cables to hide in the wall was impossible I purchased some industrial 'pipe boxing' from these guys: http://www.contourply.co.uk/ which hid the cables along a run of wall (to the left of the BeoVision 5):

• 01-05-2011 10:26 AM In reply to

Hi I have to agree with Callen. 

Even if it is a little messy (or a lot) go for the cleaner look, at the end you will not regret it.

By the way, Callen everything looks fantastic!!!

• 01-05-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

Hi Callen

I've been looking for a solution like this for ages.  How does the boxing attach to the wall (if indeed it does).  If it does attach. is it DIY job for someone who is totally impractical?  

Also, can you give me some details on what exact product you used and any sizing details

Thanks

• 01-05-2011 11:09 AM In reply to

Hi Callen

Lovely set up you have there! Chasing and plastering does not have my other half's seal of approval unfortunately! I would do it if the decision were mine alone to make!

Got to make the best of the situation though, hence my predicament.

• 01-05-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    Hi CallenLovely set up you have there! Chasing and plastering does not have my other half's seal of approval unfortunately! I would do it if the decision were mine alone to make!Got to make the best of the situation though, hence my predicament.

John,

You mentioned a partition wall in your original post. Is it plasterboard on studs? Even if plaster on lath you should be able to cut into the wall behind the speaker positions and take cables to either floor or ceiling level (the problem of extra cutting/ drilling arising where you encounter horizontal 'noggins.')

The other clean alternative (used in previous house- no photos) is to mount the speakers on panels of plasterboard positioned just in front of the existing wall leaving a 12mm space behind for cables etc by using a double thickness of board at the edges. That can be done floor to ceiling or horizontally.

If you want a completely removable approach use  large panels of MDF (with a picture frame edge if you want) and mount everything on those. I prefer the 'big panel' approach as it always looks so much better than narrow ducts running up to a speaker and you can often hide power sockets etc and other cables at the same time.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 01-05-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi Graham

It's plasterboard on studwork. I was concerned that the horizontal noggins might get in the way and cause too many obstacles on the way down! 

Anything for an easy life at the moment :)

• 01-05-2011 3:12 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I personally cringe when I see Beoworld pictures of a brand new piece of B&O with visible wires dangling down the wall - it's just as bad with trunking etc. Looking at the pics above that is exactly what I would strive for if I wanted to do my B&O justice...

I would imagine your industrial look would be ok if you had a brick wall but personally I would send your wife on a spa weekend and get the plasterer in! Oh and just notch out those noggins ;)

Olly.

• 01-05-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Hi Graham

It's plasterboard on studwork. I was concerned that the horizontal noggins might get in the way and cause too many obstacles on the way down! 

Anything for an easy life at the moment :)

Use one of those detector devices to locate the noggins. Usually there's only one about 1m from the floor. If you've just got emulsioned walls, (and some touch-up paint!) carefully cut a 25mm wide section of plasterboard, extending just above and below the noggin. Keep the piece you cut out. Drill saw or chisel the exposed bit of noggin until it's wide enough the feed the cable through. Open up a small area behind the speaker position to feed the cable in, and open one near skirting level to bring it out. It should be a simple job to drop a weighted string from the top hole down to the noggin and then pull the speaker cable through. Drop it to the bottom hole and press into the slot in the noggin when it's all in position. Make good by carefully gluing/ plastering the plasterboard pieces you've kept back into position. Then put a small piece of plaster scrim tape over the repairs, apply fast setting jointing plaster and then touch up with paint. (With wallpaper do all the same after carefully scoring and peeling paper back- re-pasting back afterwards.)

Just think about it as a bit of keyhole surgery!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 01-06-2011 3:00 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

I had Beolab 5000's to mount but the concept is the same.

I mounted my speakers above the powerpoints. That way I removed the powerpoints and was able to work out whether or not I was able to get the cables to the desired position. The powerlink cables came down from the roof space and the power cables came up from behind the powerpoint.

Once I worked out I could get the cables in position I then cut the hole. Nothing large and I haven't bothered plastering over it as the speaker covers it.

I used a long bit of plastic that electricians all seem to have over here. I think it's an insert that is used to join floorboards. It's flexible enough that it can be bent but has enough strength so you can push it where you want.

I'm lucky; I have a wife who is very patient and good at fishing wires from walls while I'm trying to manoeuvre them down.

You can always give your wife the option of a bit of plaster dust or unsightly wires....

Good luck

Peter

• 01-07-2011 9:13 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Here you go John, my 5000