in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-09-2011 8:45 AM by stefan. 67 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (68 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2011 2:27 AM

Updated 4 jan 2011

Hello. I updated my BM5/BS5 this morning. The update process seemed to work properly. In the short information I could read just after the update it mostly spoked about new enhanced navigation with more levels, more pictures of cover art and that the exclude function now is easier to navigate and to handle.

Unfortunantely I had to go to work so I did not have time to check it out more than a few seconds. First NO cover art were displayed! Perhaps that was connected to one progress percent figure in the Favorites menu where it was printed 0%. I hope the system is making some convert to also have 160*160 pictures for the BEO6. I really do not hope that all my inscanned Cover Art in high resolution will disappear. Well that has to be checked out later this evening when I`m home again.

At the first glimse I also thought that the resolution of the text and the menu was bigger, but that could just have been the early morning making tricks.

I would be glad to hear other experiences of the update!

Here from me later,

Ingvar in Stockholm

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 01-04-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

Re: Updated 4 jan 2011

I, too, made the update. Similarly, all of my cover art is now gone and is replaced with a B&O logo cover. I'm hoping this is just temporary while the BS5 is processing cover art for Beo6 compatibility. 

I do like the improved menu structure.

• 01-04-2011 7:46 AM In reply to

I forgot to mention that the infotext also describes possibilites to use other librarys of music on you own network than the BM5. Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 01-04-2011 8:26 AM In reply to

I believe the description of the update also mentioned the ability to have multiple cover art images.

On the B&O website, under the BeoSound 5 FAQ, there is more info on the 6th page regarding new features, including info about the music server selection. It seems that only one music server can be selected at a time. Also, in the settings the BeoMaster 5 can be made to act as a wifi music server for other devices.

• 01-04-2011 8:33 AM In reply to

Under the BS5 FAQ, B&O talks about lossless formats. At least they are providing a reason for the lack of Apple Lossless support:

Which lossless formats are supported by my BeoSound 5?
    Bang & Olufsen supports Windows Media Audio Lossless (WMA Lossless) and Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC).

However, we are not able to support Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) since it is a format owned and protected by Apple Inc.

If you have music in the ALAC format you can convert it to the FLAC format using programs available on the internet. Consult your local Bang & Olufsen retailer to get information about which programs to use.

• 01-04-2011 8:44 AM In reply to

The info about using the BM5 as a music server indicates that you could have additional BS5/BM5 and BeoSound 5 Encore units linked throughout the home.

This update seems to make the BS5 sound very much like the BS5 Encore. Unless one uses the BM5 as a music server, it sounds like the need of the BM5 for the BS5 is to provide the connections that the BS5 Encore would have.

• 01-04-2011 8:49 AM In reply to

beojeff:

I believe the description of the update also mentioned the ability to have multiple cover art images.

On the B&O website, under the BeoSound 5 FAQ, there is more info on the 6th page regarding new features, including info about the music server selection. It seems that only one music server can be selected at a time. Also, in the settings the BeoMaster 5 can be made to act as a wifi music server for other devices.

As I was posting, it seems that B&O kept updating the FAQ, rearranging the items that were on page 6 throughout all the pages of the FAQ.

• 01-04-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

beojeff:

I, too, made the update. Similarly, all of my cover art is now gone and is replaced with a B&O logo cover. I'm hoping this is just temporary while the BS5 is processing cover art for Beo6 compatibility. 

I do like the improved menu structure.

The cover art has returned. It still has the high resolution cover art.

• 01-04-2011 8:57 AM In reply to

I also assumed it made some preparations for future WIFI connection to BEO6. Shall be interesting to come home and test the enhanced navigation and perhaps I will this time understand and get the exclude functionality to work Big Smile

Brgds Ingvar

• 01-04-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

IngvarW:

I also assumed it made some preparations for future WIFI connection to BEO6. Shall be interesting to come home and test the enhanced navigation and perhaps I will this time understand and get the exclude functionality to work Big Smile

Brgds Ingvar

I'm now curious if the wifi features will require a dedicated wifi adapter on the BM5. I currently have the BM5 connected via ethernet to an Airport Extreme in the living room serving as a wifi access point connecting several devices to my wireless network. I have a second Airport Extreme in the den serving as the wireless base station.

• 01-04-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

BM5 can act now as a UPnP device. I can address the BM5 in XBMC/Plex on the iMac (unfortunately is WMA lossless in XBMC/Plex not supported, but Flac is as from now supported by the BS5/BM5). 

Note: for the BS5 only one Music server can be chosen.

I will pick up the new sw for the Beo6 later on today. See if I can programme the Beo6 and how it controles the BS5 from other rooms

• 01-04-2011 9:35 AM In reply to

Wouldn´t the natural thing that they just find each other via the network IP adress? Then your BM5 will go to the WIFI access point, (I have the same setup), and from there connect to the BEO6. Perhaps we can find some information in the user guide for BEO6, it´s on B&Os website.

Ingvar

• 01-04-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

beojeff:
    I'm now curious if the wifi features will require a dedicated wifi adapter on the BM5. I currently have the BM5 connected via ethernet to an Airport Extreme in the living room serving as a wifi access point connecting several devices to my wireless network. I have a second Airport Extreme in the den serving as the wireless base station.

you need a 5GHz access point/router. The Beo6 will make contact with this router and the router will address wired or wireless the BM5 (depending of your local network/setup). 

The same kind of principle as using a iPad/iPhone as a remote for iTunes

• 01-04-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

hi,

my system is updated, bit it took some time ...
    it took 2 hours to re-index the music library, ok there are more than 40.000 files on it )

I have the impression  MOTS is starting all over again to re-analyze the system .
    It says 0% done ... (even after 3 hours)
    I will wait for some more time to look what is happening.

I do like the new scrolling features ! 

Maybe another hint : I installed a couple of weeks ago a cloud backup soft on it.
    I use Mozy (www.mozy.com) to backup all my photo's and music lib to a remote server.
     It creates also local backup( via usb disk) but more important it is making an off-site backup.
    Mozy is of course not the only backup tool,  but it does the job for me. It cost me 5 $ a month to protect all data  off-site (and completely automaitic ...) It will take some more weeks before all data is transferred, but than i will be 100 % safe !

nico

• 01-04-2011 12:52 PM In reply to

I do not have the BS5, only BM5 controlled via TV. But no changes made for this interface, seems this is out of focus from B&O.

However, I experienced a few things:
    1) Memory Violation Error, had to re-start BM5 
    2) All my Playlists for N.RADIO and N.MUSIC has been deleted
    3) Timezone was set to GMT-13 (from GMT+1)
    4) No "new" covers where cover is missing 

There is something about B&O.....

• 01-04-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

My cover art is back and the MOTS are in full functionality. Everthing works fine and the new display of cover art is fast and helpful.

I hoped to find some info about how to connect the BEO6 but didn't. Maybe that is next update in the future. I presume that the BM5 must have some info before it starts to send the cover art via WIFI somewhere :-).

Even though updates are fun to investigate and process I think that B&O is rather slow in this area and since the beginning, (I was an owner very early in Sweden), not much new functionality has been released that I have had great advantages of. I still have 354GB on the harddisk so for me a NAS server or similiar dont do any difference. The filetypes aren´t either of interest for me. I think the WMA loosless sounds great and I have exactly zero products in the house from Apple.

Navigation via linkroom with coverart on the BEO6 could be the new thing that I could really appreciate. Does anyone know anything about that?

Brgds Ingvar

• 01-04-2011 1:39 PM In reply to

nico vercammen:

I have the impression  MOTS is starting all over again to re-analyze the system .
    It says 0% done ... (even after 3 hours)
    I will wait for some more time to look what is happening.

with about 10 s per track to analyse you have to wait 400.000 s = 4.6 days

• 01-04-2011 1:41 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

IngvarW:
    The filetypes aren´t either of interest for me. I think the WMA loosless sounds great and I have exactly zero products in the house from Apple.

There's no difference in audio quality between FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), and WMA Lossless.

When they're unpacked, the "streamed" PCM data (i.e. the actual audio data) is exactly the same bit for bit - both as each other, but also to that of the uncompressed wav/aif/cda -  So whatever works for you works for you. Audio quality shouldn't and doesn't change with the various lossless format.

Myself, I have most of my audio and music in flac, because my recorder does flac as well as uncompressed wav etc., and I therefore decided that flac would be a good format to be able to use it everywhere in my system. 

What's good about lossless formats is that if you at some later point decide that you want to switch computer platform or software or whatever, you can convert them to any other lossless format without any loss in quality whatsoever. It will still be exactly the same, bit for bit.

I moved from ALAC+FLAC completely to FLAC when I ditched my Macs and bought my Thinkpads.

• 01-04-2011 1:56 PM In reply to

you can play all kind of FLAC on a MacMini using XBMC

I have connected the MacMini with HDMI to my BS3 and can even listen to compressed multichannel 96 kHz 24bit Flac files.

The question should not be about the use of Apple lossless on the BS5, but about the possibllity of one lossless format for different platforms. 

With this update and the addition of the Flac format on the BS5, one can!

So with other words; for lossless eventually ditch iTunes (actually with plug ins it can play Flac's also)

• 01-04-2011 2:12 PM In reply to

I will of course not downgrade all the new functionality and how useful those could be to all you other guys. It´s good that the system get new nice things that can attract more customers so B&O can develop the product even more Big Smile

Best regards from ingvar

• 01-04-2011 3:27 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

IngvarW:

I will of course not downgrade all the new functionality and how useful those could be to all you other guys. It´s good that the system get new nice things that can attract more customers so B&O can develop the product even more Big Smile

Best regards from ingvar

No, no, that wasn't my intention to imply at all!

I just meant that you could rest assured that there were no difference at all between the different formats in the resulting sound, so you should just use the format that fits you the best, no matter which lossless format it is, knowing that your choice is just as good as everyone elses.

• 01-04-2011 7:40 PM In reply to

After turning the "music server" option "on", the "BeoMaster5" now shows up on the PS3 menu! Complete with tags, cover art, and navigation. In fact, it also includes "genre" for navigation - a feature that the BeoSound 5 sadly lacks. I'm eager to see if this shows up on network-connected blu-ray players as well.

• 01-04-2011 7:50 PM In reply to

beojeff:

After turning the "music server" option "on", the "BeoMaster5" now shows up on the PS3 menu! Complete with tags, cover art, and navigation. In fact, it also includes "genre" for navigation - a feature that the BeoSound 5 sadly lacks. I'm eager to see if this shows up on network-connected blu-ray players as well.

It DOES. The Sony blu-ray players in the bedroom and den now show "BeoMaster5" on their menus. Total access to and navigation of the music on the BeoMaster 5. However, unlike the PS3, the Sony blu-ray players did not show the cover art.

• 01-04-2011 10:11 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Has anybody been able to transfer a FLAC file to their BS5/BM5 via BeoConnect (v1.21.00 - which I downloaded tonight)? 

I have had some .aiff files that I used XLD to convert to .flac

When I drop them into BeoConnect, it says "<filename>" in an invalid file type".

I tried both .flac and .flc as extensions.

Stan

• 01-04-2011 10:42 PM In reply to

not suprising.

I tried the beoplayer. Would it recocnized a Flac file. It didn't.

Until now nothing has been changed on the BeoConnect and the Beoplayer side of things

I just used the Windows Explorer or Finder (Mac), I can't remember which one, to copy a Flac file to the BM5. The file tag was read and the content was played by the BS5 without any problems 

Page 1 of 3 (68 items) 1 2 3 Next >