in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-09-2011 1:03 PM by murcieme. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2011 3:35 PM

Bang & Olufsen vs Bose

Is there a difference between the Bang & Olufsen and Bose system in an Audi?

Bose vs Bang & Olufsen in Audi A8           

• 01-03-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Bang & Olufsen vs Bose

Can't watch it in the UK for some reason. It's blocked.Sad

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-03-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

Maybe this link works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esk8OFx7QFw

On the other hand, I can't watch any of the Top Gear movies on the BBC site because I am not in the UK. Luckily we have one united Europe......Wink

• 01-03-2011 4:07 PM In reply to

Peter Pan posted this on his thread HERE.

I replied that my results were different. Surprise

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-03-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-03-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

I honestly don't know too much about how well engineered the B&O car stereo's are, but I'd assume they put a fair bit of research into it before slapping their name in any auto maker's product.  This is easily an area where a company could 'sell-out' so to speak.  Perhaps some of the B&O experts here can explain a little more about thier automotive products.

What I do know of the Bose systems, however, is that they take fairly medium quality components and equalize the crap out of the sound so it impresses people - 'enhancing' (bloating) the bass and spiking the treble.  To a non critical listener it gives the illusion of sounding crystal clear and having "Awesome" bass.  I suppose it's a worthwile upgrade over many standard stereo's, but it's really not all that impressive.

I'd put the Mark Levinson stereo's on many Lexus models on par with the B&O systems.  The Mark Levinson systems are quite simply stellar. Burmester also supplies some creme-de-la-creme stereo's to Porsche & Bugatti.  You couldn't go wrong with any of these three systems.  I haven't heard any Burmester equipped cars, but have experienced B&O Audi's & ML Lexi.  Faultless.

Other great car stereo's more along the lines of Bose include Dynaudio on many Volvo's, Panasonic DVD-Audio in some Acura's, and Lexicon systems in upscale Hyundai's.  All fairly respectable, but the B&O / Mark Levinson / Burmester systems are a class above.

Mike

Since 1977

• 01-03-2011 6:22 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I once stumbled upon an unlocked Maserati Quattraporte with the 9 speaker Bose system. I could only listen to the radio, it was ok. Just as mentioned, the eq had a bit of a boost at the bottom and top. I took the volume all the way to the top and it couldn't sustain any clarity/accuracy.

I have yet to hear any of the levinson or b&o systems yet.

The stereo in my Accord is made by Foster/Fostex of japan and it's pretty incredible for 270w and 7 speakers. It has woven kevlar woofers and they can take a direct hit from anything. It too is really bassy and really bright but I dialed it back and it works great. I've been away from it for about two weeks now and I'm really missing it!!

The best car stereo I have ever heard is the current Acura TL ELS (elliot lee scheiner) 14 speaker system. An absolute gem.

Evan

• 01-03-2011 7:00 PM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Evan:
    I once stumbled upon an unlocked Maserati Quattraporte with the 9 speaker Bose system. I could only listen to the radio, it was ok. Just as mentioned, the eq had a bit of a boost at the bottom and top. I took the volume all the way to the top and it couldn't sustain any clarity/accuracy.I have yet to hear any of the levinson or b&o systems yet.The stereo in my Accord is made by Foster/Fostex of japan and it's pretty incredible for 270w and 7 speakers. It has woven kevlar woofers and they can take a direct hit from anything. It too is really bassy and really bright but I dialed it back and it works great. I've been away from it for about two weeks now and I'm really missing it!! The best car stereo I have ever heard is the current Acura TL ELS (elliot lee scheiner) 14 speaker system. An absolute gem.

I'd do more than listen to the radio if I stumbled upon an unlocked Maserati . . .  :)

But yes, the ELS system (I'd forgotten it's name) is simply excellent.  Defininitely better than Bose, but then you're stuck with a beaked Acura!
    I also forgot to mention the B&W system in the new Jaguars.  I haven't heard it myself, but have only read raving reveiws.  Granted, they're from auto publications and not the likes of Stereophile or anything, but speaker drivers make the biggest difference, and I'd certainly trust B&W.

Mike

Since 1977

• 01-03-2011 9:48 PM In reply to

murcieme:

I honestly don't know too much about how well engineered the B&O car stereo's are, but I'd assume they put a fair bit of research into it before slapping their name in any auto maker's product.  This is easily an area where a company could 'sell-out' so to speak. 

My understanding is they put a lot of work into this; a larger number and speakers, with DSP's behind it- that is unique to their automotive work so far, isn't it? I've read they have a number of classically trained musicians listening and working on these systems- does anyone know if other companies use people with a background like that? Or is it mostly engineers with microphones and oscilloscopes!? And didn't Dr. Bose work at B&O some time ago? Sorry for raising so many questions...

Steve
  • 01-03-2011 10:38 PM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

spthomas:

My understanding is they put a lot of work into this; a larger number and speakers, with DSP's behind it- that is unique to their automotive work so far, isn't it? I've read they have a number of classically trained musicians listening and working on these systems- does anyone know if other companies use people with a background like that? Or is it mostly engineers with microphones and oscilloscopes!? And didn't Dr. Bose work at B&O some time ago? Sorry for raising so many questions...

That's what I've heard regarding the auto B&O systems too, that they were extensively engineered.  I don't doubt that at all, but most of what I'm aware of was from press releases and the like.  :)  I've heard similar work was put into the Mark Levinson & even the Panasonic ELS systems, again through PR, but judging from the reputiation of the truly high end manufacturers and the sound of the systems there's no reason to doubt it either.

As for Amar Bose, I don't think he ever worked for B&O, but I remember hearing that he was dissapointed in the sound from his high end stereo back in the 50's or 60's, which prompted him to get into home audio.  Perhaps he had a B&O system?  His spin was always 'concert hall sound' more than accurate sound reproduction.

I can appreciate that some consumers buy into this.  The "Bose Sound" is big and airy, and if consumers like how it sounds than that's all that matters, really.  What I hear is bloated bass and shrill treble, and huge portions of the frequency spectrum ignored or simply absent!  I also don't appreciate the price premium when you open up a Bose speaker to find cheap paper driver and mid-grade-or-worse electronics.  I find most of their home audio equipment is a big con.  Their automotive applications are a little less so IMO. I have to say I was very impressed with the system in the Infiniti M56.  No other Bose system in any other car has impressed me much though - don't know what was so different with the Infiniti, but the Audi and Lexussess's were still nicer sounding.

Bose is a genius though.  The company is currently working on a revolutionary suspension system for cars that read the road ahead of you so accurately even huge potholes would barely be noticed inside the car.  I beleive he has other impressive inventions underneath his belt too.  Weren't they the pioneers in noise cancelling headphones?

Mike

Since 1977

• 01-04-2011 12:55 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

I have a long-time collection of Bang & Olufsen since 1964, and admit myself clearly a card-carrying B&O enthusiast and supporter.

I also have a Bose system ( 14 speakers ) in a navigation system in ouir 2004 Porsche, and it is reliable and very impressive. Cd, DVD, Radio, and Mp3.

In 2005 and for the next 5 years,  I was asked to periodically review the upcomng Porsche Panamera with a few select others. In 2005, I  suggested the B&O touch screen feature for console controls ( request denied ), and in 2007 the incorporation of a B&O sound system, which was all videotaped by L&H Germany, who were running the review sessions.

As stated by the blindfolded tester in the YouTube segement, nothing beats or sounds better in a vehicle than B&O, versus Bose. Notice his use of the word " crisp,  " which is consistent with modern or recent B&O product reviews.

I don't yet drive a Panamera, and getting home sometimes takes all-wheel + chains in the Cayenne, but I do wish I had a B&O lens sound system installed. It is simply superior.

• 01-04-2011 12:56 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I forgot that I actually own a Bose car system in our Acura RL. haha woops!

We just got the car, I guess I keep forgetting about it entirely!!!

Its a very meaty sound and I really don't care for it. It's really hard to bash your own car... The surround sound 5.1 mode sounds plain awful. The center channel is just lame. In stereo mode, yeah, it will make some noise. 10 speakers and 250 watts. Not the sound for me though.

Personally I want one of those beaked Acuras!!! I have been listening to ELS since it hit the Acura scene in 04 in the TL. then it was 7 speakers and had SACD playback. When the RDX came out, it went to 10 speakers. And they started pointing the rear speakers at you instead of them pointing up at the glass.

I had a 2010 TL all to myself for a day or so and all I could do was jam. Love it!

Evan

• 01-04-2011 1:10 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Evan:
    I forgot that I actually own a Bose car system in our Acura RL. haha woops! We just got the car, I guess I keep forgetting about it entirely!!!Its a very meaty sound and I really don't care for it. It's really hard to bash your own car... The surround sound 5.1 mode sounds plain awful. The center channel is just lame. In stereo mode, yeah, it will make some noise. 10 speakers and 250 watts. Not the sound for me though.Personally I want one of those beaked Acuras!!! I have been listening to ELS since it hit the Acura scene in 04 in the TL. then it was 7 speakers and had SACD playback. When the RDX came out, it went to 10 speakers. And they started pointing the rear speakers at you instead of them pointing up at the glass.I had a 2010 TL all to myself for a day or so and all I could do was jam. Love it!

A bit off Topic, but I think The Beak definitely works on the TSX, even moreso the subdued Beak on the 2011.  I can't get over The Beak (yes, it must be capitalized!) on the TL, but a subduing of that is coming next year too.  It should be interesting. :)

Since 1977

• 01-04-2011 1:57 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

SWISS_2:

I have a long-time collection of Bang & Olufsen since 1964, and admit myself clearly a card-carrying B&O enthusiast and supporter.

I also have a Bose system ( 14 speakers ) in a navigation system in ouir 2004 Porsche, and it is reliable and very impressive. Cd, DVD, Radio, and Mp3.

In 2005 and for the next 5 years,  I was asked to periodically review the upcomng Porsche Panamera with a few select others. In 2005, I  suggested the B&O touch screen feature for console controls ( request denied ), and in 2007 the incorporation of a B&O sound system, which was all videotaped by L&H Germany, who were running the review sessions.

As stated by the blindfolded tester in the YouTube segement, nothing beats or sounds better in a vehicle than B&O, versus Bose. Notice his use of the word " crisp,  " which is consistent with modern or recent B&O product reviews.

I don't yet drive a Panamera, and getting home sometimes takes all-wheel + chains in the Cayenne, but I do wish I had a B&O lens sound system installed. It is simply superior.

Swiss, you'll need to check out the Burmester system in the Panamera and tell us all what it's like!  Please! :)

Since 1977

• 01-04-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

Had Bose on my previous car, but felt nothing special with it.

Listened to an Audi with B&O... and felt in love. :)

For sure Bose systems are a wide range, and not the best in class can be put on a Mazda 6, but it's just my experience.

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 01-04-2011 4:39 PM In reply to

A bit of background on the B&O system. The DSP is different for every type of car. For the longer version of the Audi A8 (which is 20cm longer than the normal version) a new DSP program was made since the acoustics of the car are different. So B&O takes this very seriously! Last year I heard the first Audi A8 in which the B&O system was installed and I was not very impressed by the sound (too much base), but that must have been an adjustment somewhere, since I have heard the system several times before and in those cases it sounded totally great! Or I must have been distracted because of the beautiful blonde Danish girl that demonstrated the system the last time....Big Smile Hmm, actually, I think I am going to try to arrange another listening session.......

• 01-04-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Blackrix:

A bit of background on the B&O system. The DSP is different for every type of car. For the longer version of the Audi A8 (which is 20cm longer than the normal version) a new DSP program was made since the acoustics of the car are different. So B&O takes this very seriously! Last year I heard the first Audi A8 in which the B&O system was installed and I was not very impressed by the sound (too much base), but that must have been an adjustment somewhere, since I have heard the system several times before and in those cases it sounded totally great! Or I must have been distracted because of the beautiful blonde Danish girl that demonstrated the system the last time....Big Smile Hmm, actually, I think I am going to try to arrange another listening session.......

Bass-heavy in a car is good IMO as it helps the low-end cut over the top of the tyre rumble, and this is coming from somebody who generally likes a bass-light sound!

Where can I get this demonstration? Laughing

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-05-2011 3:21 AM In reply to

I had several Audis and Porsches fitted with the bose system, as it was simply the best you could get of factory. It sounded better (but very bass rich) than standard, but not impressive at all.

We also had several BMWs with the Harmon Kardon system, which I rated above the Bose system as it was more crisp and accurate.

A friend of my drives a S8 with B&O, and as far I can judge, that sound is far more impressive than the bose systems I'm used to. Its crisp, detailed and subtile in bass (but can be strong).

I wouldn't hesitate to order the B&O system, not for a second.
  • 01-05-2011 4:35 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

First of all I think one must beware that Audi has two systems from B&O, the plain B&O and the advanced sound system from B&O. The advanced sound system is superb, but costly.

On the Audi A4/A5/Q5 you only get the plain B&O system, which is a good system at a decent price. On the Q7/A7/A8 you can only get the advanced sound system at 5-7 times the price of the B&O setup in the A4/A5/Q5-series, and in the Q7/A7/A8 you can step down and buy the Bose system for the same money as the plain B&O in the A4/A5/Q5 sells for.

In my mind, the B&O in the A4/A5/Q5 is about the same quality as the Bose in the Q7/A7/A8 - offered at the same price. The advanced sound system in the Q7/A7/A8 is a different story, but at 5-7 times the price it should be, too.

Roger

• 01-05-2011 10:48 AM In reply to

Alex:

Blackrix:

Bass-heavy in a car is good IMO as it helps the low-end cut over the top of the tyre rumble, and this is coming from somebody who generally likes a bass-light sound!

Where can I get this demonstration? Laughing

Nice cars, danish blonde girls and B&O....I want that too!!!Big Smile

• 01-05-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

A friend at work has B&O in his Audi Q5, I drive a Porsche Cayman and I have to say that the system in the Q5 blows you away. Its superb. The porsche system on the otherhand is a complete let down and is painful to listen to at high volumes. I wish B&O would join forces with Porsche as I love the cars.

• 01-05-2011 6:31 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

kruppking:

A friend at work has B&O in his Audi Q5, I drive a Porsche Cayman and I have to say that the system in the Q5 blows you away. Its superb.

That's good news! Our Q5 arrives on the boat today, optioned with the B&O system. We tested it at the dealer on an A5 and I thought at the time it was clearly worth stumping up the extra for. Can't wait to test it out!

• 01-06-2011 9:51 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

@murcieme

A lot of Acura dealers have been color matching the beaks on the TL to the rest of the car. It really reduces the jackolantern look.

To be honest I don't much care for the current TSX, it has a bloated look to me, especially when it's parked next to the prev generation TSX. Oh and btw if you haven't heard already, the TSX wagon is coming to the US!

I really support Honda and love them to death (clearly!) but this whole saw tooth thing has gotten out of hand. They have ruined a fleet of incredible cars.

----------------------

I really want to go and listen to one of the B&O systems after reading all this!

Evan

• 01-09-2011 2:11 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Evan:
    @murciemeA lot of Acura dealers have been color matching the beaks on the TL to the rest of the car. It really reduces the jackolantern look.To be honest I don't much care for the current TSX, it has a bloated look to me, especially when it's parked next to the prev generation TSX. Oh and btw if you haven't heard already, the TSX wagon is coming to the US! I really support Honda and love them to death (clearly!) but this whole saw tooth thing has gotten out of hand. They have ruined a fleet of incredible cars. ----------------------I really want to go and listen to one of the B&O systems after reading all this!

I've seen a number of TL's here in Toronto with the beak painted.  It's a bit of an improvement I think. I don't really have a problem with it's styling to tell you the truth, but I thought the previous design was one of the best looking Japanese sedan's ever.  I was hoping they'd improve upon it, but it seems like they made a bit of a caricature out of it instead.  It's a fantastic car though...

I'm looking forward to seeing the TSX wagon too, though I also think the previous model was better.  I used to love Acura, but I think they've lost their way a bit... I hope they find their way back.

Do yourself a favour though, and check out the B&O system's in some Audi's. I find even the 'base' B&O system in the A5 sounds pretty damn impressive!

mike

Since 1977

• 01-09-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Mike,