in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2011 8:57 AM by Beolab. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2011 5:19 AM

How to control volume-level for the subwoofer-channel when using Beolab 5 as frontspeakers in a surround-setup

I have a question about BeoLab.

First,I would like to provide conditions for the issue .

I currently have a BeoVision 7-55 with 7-4 as center speaker and the BeoLab 5  as frontspeakers. As rear speakers, I have BeoLab 4000.

My question is when I run 5.1 sound from eg DVD / Bluray. When you have BeoLab 5 (and no subwoofer) you can not change the volume of the subwoofer channel, ie, .1-sound, because all the sound, including subwoofer sound, goes directly into the BeoLab 5.  To be able to change the volume-level in the subwoofer channel, it is necessary of course to have a separate subwoofer.

Now to my question:

Can I change the settings of the TV so the settings is as if I had a subwoofer (Beolab 2) and connect additional Powerlink cables from the subwoofer output from TV to the respective BeoLab 5? . There are two PowerLink inputs to the Beolab 5-speakers. Next question? Will it affect the overall sound negative in any way to feed the Beolab 5:s with sound from two powerlink-cables for each speaker at the same time?

By connecting a subwoofer-cable to the each BeoLab 5, and change the setting on the TV to have the subwoofer connected, then I can change the volume of the subwoofer channel.

Please, does someone who has Beolab 5 in a surroundsound-setup thought of this problem with the subwoofer-channel (.1-channel)?

I hope you understand what my "problem" is and what I am suggesting to do in order to solve the problem.

Regards

Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 01-02-2011 5:33 AM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

Re: How to control volume-level for the subwoofer-channel when using Beolab 5 as frontspeakers in a surround-setup

The second powerlink socket on the beolab 5 is a output, so you can not do that

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 01-02-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

Re: How to control volume-level for the subwoofer-channel when using Beolab 5 as frontspeakers in a surround-setup

I do understand your issues but the subwoofer is an integral part of the Beolab 5. If you want to decrease the amount of bass, why not use the tone controls on the TV which will roll off the bass.

• 01-02-2011 8:38 AM In reply to

Then all the other loudspeakers in the surround set-up will decrease in bass too,I think that's not the meaning.

• 01-02-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for your replies regarding my "problem".

First of all, I dont think that the other speakers (rear-speakers and center-spekeaker) will decrease in bass. The setup I describe means that I change the Subwoofer-channel to go throgh the subwoofer-tone-control in the TV (by making the settup in the TV as I have an subwoofer) and then out from the TV to the Beloab 5. You never have Subwoofer channel to center/rear-speakers.

Second, someone said that the second powerlink connection in the BL5 is an output-connection. I think that the powerlink-connections is both input and output. I have actually tried the setup now as I described, and it seems to work the way i want. BUT the sound-output-level in the BL5 will decrease a little bit when I feed the BL5 with two powerlink-cables (one from the subwoofer output and one from the normal powerlink output from the TV). But I can increase the soundlevel on the BL5-speakers to compensate for this soundlevel drop.

Third, the tone-control in the TV for the BL5 does not change the lower bass. It just change the upper bass. Thats the problem!

Does anyone think that this setup might harm the BL5 badly in some way?

As I said above, this seems to work, but it is possible that I will "loose" some soundquality or frequencies when I connect the BL5 in this way?

Regards
    Martin 

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 01-06-2011 8:57 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

BL8000 MkII Black

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)