in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-11-2011 11:49 AM by jc. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Re: Acoustic lenses

jc:

The crossover characteristics of the Beolab 3's as discussed above did remind me of a earlier thread about the presumed lack of midrange of the Beolab 9's. Does anyone know if the 9's are designed with comparable crossover frequencies? 

Being a three driver speaker the crossover freq's in the 9's are as follows:

The frequency range of the 10 inch woofer is 30 to 180 Hz,  being exactly 2,5 octaves. The 5 inch midrange operates from  180 Hz to 2 kHz, which is approx. 3,5 octaves and finally 3/4 inch tweeter takes over from 2kHz all the way up to 20kHz, which is if I' am all calculating correctly 3,3 octaves. 

Thinking of the presumed lack of midrange (I have experienced more or less the same) it just reminds me of the following paragraph in Beocentral's productdescription of the BL9's:

Quote  "The BeoLab 9 used 3 drive units, described as a 10” woofer, a 5” midrange and a 0.75” dome tweeter. This made for a nominally 3-way loudspeaker, though given the sizes of the drive units and their crossover points the effect was more akin to a small 2-way loudspeaker working in conjunction with a well-matched subwoofer." Unquote

• 01-11-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

So if we want to haven a "complete" speaker, we will have to save for the Beolab 5...

• 01-11-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

I have never owned any relevant speakers to comment on this thread but I am enjoying the read.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-11-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

jc:

So if we want to haven a "complete" speaker, we will have to save for the Beolab 5...

No, I most certainly would not say the 9's are "incomplete" speakers soundwise.

The frequency response remains generally flat with a few db's frequency rise above 10 kHz. After experimenting for a while (based on several valuable advices of fellow Beowolders) to find the correct placement, I highly admire and appreciate the overall performance of these stunning speakers. I certainly would not part with them.

• 01-11-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I can't say I am enjoying the read, but it is an intriguing one.  That said, if I am going to part with 11 large for a pair of speakers, I will appreciate and thoughtfully listen to what people say and base my decision on what I, not they, think are my reasons for buying.  Actually, I think most people do something similar.

Edit: PS, If that didn't translate as appreciative and friendly, I apologize.  I meant it in a positive, taking responsibility, kind of way.  

• 01-11-2011 11:49 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Ofcourse any judgement on a speaker should be down to your own ears, like I did as I listened extensively to the beolab 3's before starting this thread. Every pair of speakers sound different, even from the same manufacturer. Different sounding speakers can all be enjoyable in their own way, I mean there isn't a "perfect sound", just different.   

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2